Are you aware that being a female with high academic prowess can earn you a scholarship? The Zawadi Africa Scholarship by Zawadi Africa Education Fund is one of such scholarships for you in 2020. This scholarship will sort out your undergraduate education fees in universities of your choice if you are academically sound and are keen on leadership and women empowerment.
Here’s what you should know about the 2020 Zawadi Africa Scholarship to help you win it. You can also look through a highlight of all the information embedded in this article by perusing the table of content.
About the Zawadi Africa Scholarship
The Zawadi Africa Education Fund is a program designed to provide undergraduate scholarships to academically gifted girls/women from disadvantaged backgrounds from Africa to pursue higher education in the US, Uganda, Ghana, South Africa, and Kenya.
Zawadi Africa Education Fund is a leadership development program that provides university scholarships and leadership development and life skills training to academically gifted but financially disadvantaged African girls, with the objective of developing a pipeline of young African women leaders.
Zawadi Africa was formed with the belief that together with a world-class education and the right character development, these young African women will be able to return to their home countries empowered and equipped with the skills needed to make significant, positive impact in their communities in a continent where traditionally women have not had a voice in the development of their community.
Eligibility Requirements: Who should apply for Zawadi Africa Scholarship?
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship, the following criteria must be met:
- A girl who has completed her secondary school examination i.e. The Kenya Certificate of Secondary Examination (KCSE)
- Has demonstrated academic excellence (A Plain or A Minus)
- Has demonstrated leadership qualities e.g. in school as a prefect, in the community, church, leadership in peer-related activities, etc.)
- Has overcome insurmountable odds such as serious financial challenges, oppressive social-cultural practices such as early marriages and Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) etc. in order to attain academic excellence.
- Comes from a financially disadvantaged background.
- Has demonstrated clear financial need
Interested candidates from Kenya are eligible to apply for the Zawadi Africa Education Fund.
This scholarship is hosted in Kenya
Level/Field of Study
Only female students who have an A or an A- in their KCSE exams can apply.
How Are Winners Selected?
The selection criteria for the Zawadi Africa Education Fund include excellent academics, extracurricular involvement, leadership potential, and financial need. The Admission decision is entirely dependent on the Universities’ Admission Boards. Shortlisted candidates will be called for an interview a month after the deadline of this application.
How Do I Apply For the Zawadi Africa Education Fund?
- If you meet the above criteria, ensure that you complete every part of this application form. Your application will only be considered if it completely filled.
- Attach a one-page biography and a passport photo. The biography should be TYPED and highlight your family and educational background, your aspirations, financial status, as well as hobbies and activities that you have undertaken while in school and in your community.
- Attach a 500-650 word essay on ONLY ONE of three topics listed on page seven.
- Attach a copy of your high school leaving certificate and K.C.S.E result slip as well as copies of high school certificates that show your involvement in extracurricular activities and leadership related initiatives.
- Attach a signed recommendation letter from your class teacher or the headteacher.
- Attach a copy of your birth certificate and your National Identity Card (if you have one).
- Attach a letter from your local chief confirming his knowledge of your family and yourself. The letter should preferably be written on a government letter headed document.
- Any false statements, omissions or forged documents will lead to automatic disqualification.
- Submit a Hard Copy of this application form and the required supporting documents on or before the deadline (31st March 2020) to the designated offices written in the application forms.
The application deadline for the Zawadi Africa Education Fund is April 5, 2020.
WE ALSO RECOMMEND
- L’Oreal UNESCO Fellowship for African Women in Science
- EducationUSA Opportunity Funds Program (OFP)
- University of Sydney Honours Scholarship in Australia
- Fully Funded SCIENCE BY WOMEN Research Senior Fellowships for African Women At Spain
- International Brighter Investment Scholarships in Ghana
- Fully Funded MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Program
- 17 PhD Scholarship in Korea
- Stephen J. Brady Stop Hunger Scholarships
- 15 Nursing Scholarships for Kenya Students
- 21 New Zealand Masters Scholarships for International Students