Wiki Loves Africa is a public annual photo contest where people across Africa can contribute media (photographs, video and audio) about their environment on Wikimedia Commons for use on Wikipedia and other project websites of the Wikimedia Foundation.Wiki Loves Africa particularly encourages participants to contribute media that illustrate a specific theme for that year. Each year the theme changes and could include any such universal, visually rich and culturally specific topics (for example, markets, rites of passage, festivals, public art, cuisine, natural history, urbanity, daily life, notable persons, etc).
Eligible Countries: African countries
Eligibility: Images submitted to the Wiki Loves Africa contest may win prizes! There are a few rules to respect for the images to be eligible.
- Rule 1: All photos must be taken by the person submitting them. They can be either self-uploaded or uploaded during a registered mass upload session.
- Rule 2: Uploads can only be done from the 1st of October 2017 to 30th of November 2017. You can enter media that was taken at any time, even historical photographs (as long as you own the copyright on these photographs), but they must be uploaded during those dates.
- Rule 3: Images must be free of watermarks or embedded signatures to be eligible. All entries will automatically be submitted under a free licence such as Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 (CC-BY-SA 4.0) (or in the public domain). Read more about the cc-by-sa license here.
- Rule 4: All eligible pictures will be categorised under Images from Wiki Loves Africa 2017, this will be automatically assigned during the upload process. (Feel free to add other relevant category descriptions to make the images more usable.)
- Rule 5: Participants must enable e-mail on Wikimedia Commons so they can be contacted should their image be chosen for a prize.
Notes on video
Other files, such as audio and video, are welcome. For videos, please submit files in the following formats:
Due to complex intellectual property rights issues, Wikimedia Commons can not accept video content that is submitted in any other format. A helpful ‘how to’ guide on how to convert video media into these formats can be found here on Wikimedia. It is suggested that you upload video content one video at a time.
Value of Contest:
- 1st prize: US$600
- 2nd prize: US$400
- 3rd prize: US$200
- Organizer price: US$200
- Photo Essay Prizes : Women Working US$200
- Photo Essay Prizes : Rare, Fading or Threatened Traditional Craft, Style or Way of Working US$200
Additional prizes in each category: a Wiki Loves Africa powerpack + t-shirt
Duration of Contest: 2 months
How to Apply: Entering Wiki Loves Africa Music and Dance is easy! Follow these 4 steps:
- Step 1: Take some photos.
- Step 2: Select the best.
- Step 3: Create an account on Commons to take part. Register here.
- Step 4: Use the Upload Wizard to enter your photographs.
Application Deadline: 30th November 2017
Award Provider: Wikimedia