In the United Kingdom, a driving license is an official document that allows its holder to operate motor vehicles on highways and other public roads.
The Driver and Vehicle administered it in England, Scotland, and Wales Licensing Agency (DVLA) and in Northern Ireland by the Driver & Vehicle Agency (DVA).
Why do I need the UK Driving License?
A driving license is required in England, Scotland, and Wales for any person driving a vehicle on any highway or other “road”, as defined ins.192 Road Traffic Act.
Until the UK left the European Union on 1 February 2022, a UK driving license was a European driving license.
During the transition period, EU law continued to apply to the UK under the withdrawal agreement, and hence, the UK driving licenses were valid in the EU and, EU driving licenses in the UK until the transition period ended 31 December 2022.
The EU flag was removed from UK driving licenses when the transition period ended. From 1 January, UK license holders can still use their driving license to drive in the EU for brief visits, with some exceptions.
The British driving license has changed the world in the sense that:
- It authorizes you as a Licensed driver; It allows you to drive a particular type of vehicle.
- It Identifies you with accidents or crimes, Your Driving License also Serves as Your Personal ID, It helps to find your wallet and If you are traveling within the United States, most airlines require you to display your driver’s.
Photocard driving licenses in England have been issued since 1 April 1999. All license types stay valid until their date of expiry shown in the section.
In the United Kingdom, 35.9 million people are holding a full car driving license in England, 18.3 million are men and 17.6 million are women.
Whilst, over the long term, license holding among both men and women has increased, the rate of increase has been much greater for women. The United kingdom driving license is issued in a city called Northern Ireland.
The British driving license photo cards since July 2015, are issued by the DVLA have displayed the Union Jack flag on the front of the driving license.
England driving license can be applied online by using GOV.UK Verify. You can also use GOV.UK Verify to access your driving license information and get a license check code.
If you haven’t used GOV.UK Verify before, it will take you about 5 minutes to get set up. Some paper licenses are still valid in 2022, but not all of them.
If it issued your paper license before March 31, 2000, and, as outlined above, all the information on your paper license is still correct, then it will usually remain valid until you turn 70years.
The expiry date of your photocard license is shown on the front of the photocard at section 4b. If your license has expired, you should not drive until you have applied to renew the license.
Although the DVLA routinely sends out reminders to drivers, it is not a defense to say that you did not receive a reminder.
You’re able to drive in the UK for 12 months on a license issued in a ‘designated country’, which includes: Australia, Barbados, Hong Kong, Monaco, Singapore, Falkland Islands, Republic of Korea, South Africa, Switzerland, Faroe Islands, Japan, Zimbabwe, British Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands, Canada, and New Zealand.
How to get UK Driving License in 2022
You can gain a UK driving license in England through the following steps;
- Meet the basic age and vision requirements: To apply for a provisional driving license, you must be at least 15 years and 9 months old and be able to read a number plate from 20 meters (66 ft) away.
Try testing your vision at home with the number plate on a friend’s or family member’s vehicle.
- Gather your Identity documents: Identity documents include the following: a current passport, biometric residence permit, European Union or European Economic Area identity card, a recent bank or building society statement with your National Insurance number (if you are a pensioner), a birth, adoption, or naturalization certificate, a photocopy of the front page of your benefits book or an original benefits letter, a marriage certificate or divorce papers, or a college or university union card, education certificate, or PASS proof of age card.
- Apply for your provisional license online: You can apply for your provisional license online by visiting https://motoring.direct.gov.uk/service/
- Apply by post as an alternative to the online application: You can also apply by post by filling out form D1 (available at the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency or certain branches of the post office.)
What are the Types of UK Driving License?
There are a plethora of the UK driving licenses that one can obtain. They include;
The major reason you should get a British driving license is to prove to the law enforcement personnel that you have a permit in the state where you live and have the legal backing to operate a vehicle.
Sometimes, employers obviously want employees to get to work reliably and on time. An employer is probably within its rights to require an employee to have a valid driver’s license simply because there’s no law that prohibits it outright.