An unforeseen occurrence can befall any of us at any time. That is why everyone endeavors to have adequate health insurance that will cover medical expenses when the need arises.
This has become a common practice, especially in developed societies. But the challenge nowadays is finding the right health insurance company that has the perfect coverage and modest cost.
In this article, you’ll learn more about Cigna Health Insurance, how it works, and the pros & cons of the company. But first, let’s clear you on the question: what is Cigna Health Insurance?
Basic Info about Cigna Health Insurance
Cigna Insurance is an international health insurance provider that offers private healthcare insurance to its customers.
As of 2021, it operates in 10 US states: Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Kansas, Missouri, North Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, and Virginia.
Cigna Health Insurance is a forerunner of modern health insurance. Both the Insurance Company of North America (INA) and Connecticut General Life Insurance company merged to form the Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company in 1926.
So that means Cigna has been in the insurance business for as long as 200 years ago.
There are many Cigna Health Insurance reviews that flood the internet today. The company is recommended by many and there’s a good reason for that. Cigna Health Insurance has an A (Excellent) rating from AM Best. Cigna has an A+ rating with the BBB (Better Business Bureau).
Although they have applied for accreditation and it is under review, but Cigna’s reputation precedes them. There is no doubt that a company that had its beginnings in 1792, when it was created by a few prominent citizens in Philadelphia’s Independence Hall is now a global corporation with over 180 million customers in more than 30 countries.
Check out Cigna’s official website here if you wish to.
What type of insurance does Cigna offer?
Cigna serves its customers in the health insurance niche. They offer health insurance for individuals and families with good coverage and at a reasonable cost.
The company also offers dental insurance, optometry insurance, Medicare & Medicaid (for U.S citizens), and other supplemental plans.
This Cigna Insurance review may not outline all the health & wellness insurance the company provides.
You may contact an independent insurance agent to educate you about Cigna’s individual plans or its employer plans.
How does Cigna Life Insurance Work?
Health insurance may be defined as a legal agreement between you and a health insurance provider that assists you to cover the cost of healthcare services. In that way, you don’t have to pay all the medical expenses on your own.
Cigna Health Insurance is no different from this methodology. This is typically how Cigna Insurance work:
- You pay a monthly premium. This is the fee deducted from your account for your selected health plan.
- The deductible is made until your plan begins to be implemented, gradually providing you with more and more utilizable cost percentage.
- As you start sharing costs with your plan, your insurance ID will reflect both your deductible and coinsurance. A typical example of a coinsurance is when someone’s health plan reaches to the extent of paying 70% of medical costs while he pays the remaining 30% from his own money.
Cigna Health Insurance offers almost all kinds of health insurance from supplemental plans to surgical and dental health and Medicare.
Most insurance companies cover 100% for preventive care. This includes things like routine tests and annual check-ups, child vaccination, and so on. However, some plans may still require a small fee called a copay.
Cigna Health Insurance, like most insurance companies, offers extra programs and services that are free of charge.
Pros: Why Choose Cigna Health Insurance
- Cigna Insurance is a highly reputable company. With its decades in operation as a health insurance provider, Cigna has gotten high ratings from a variety of financial institutions. It is financially sound and the quality of service has been top-notch. For instance, it has gotten straight A ratings from the likes of AM Best, Standard & Poor’s, Moody’s and so on.
- The company has an award-winning customer service center that attends to the concerns of users 24/7. Cigna has perfect understanding and relationships with their users (patients), doctors and families or member groups.
- The company provides access to the list of network providers and facilities nationwide. They also offer free telehealth services to all members registered with them. Cigna Health Insurance, like most insurance companies, offers other programs and services that’s free of charge.
- The myCigna website and mobile app is very user-friendly and useful. It makes it easy for members to peep into their coverage details, deductibles & coinsurance, claims, appointment reminders, and more. Policyholders can go online to search plan network doctors, check claims status, and get insurance ID cards.
- Member enjoy benefits such as access to a home delivery pharmacy, dedicated helpline to request for health information, and rewards programs. See other health benefits plan members enjoy.
As a disclaimer, this Cigna Health Insurance review is not sponsored or financially affiliated with the company. Thus, particular information is only based on the testimonies of members who receive these extra benefits. Cigna does not reveal information about its specific discounts or reward programs to the general public.
Cons/Setbacks with Cigna Health Insurance
- Cigna health insurance is not available in all US states. There are only ten US states where Cigna operates in. These are Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Kansas, Missouri, North Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, and Virginia.
- Getting the maximum coverage is dependent on your salary. Cigna’s group policies for instance have limits on available coverage you can obtain. Depending on your employer, you can buy Cigna Insurance that’s equal to or five times your salary. Typically, the maximum amount of coverage you can purchase is about $500,000.
- Not all forms of supplemental health insurance policies are able to be combined with the basic health insurance policy.
Is Cigna Health Insurance Legit or Scam?
There is generally a lot of complaints from customers concerning claims, denials, and customer service issues in the insurance industry.
The National Association of Insurance Commissioner (NAIC) reports that Cigna’s complaint ratio is 0.93. Complaint ratio of an insurance company helps consumers compare the quality of insurers’ customer service in relation to its market share in the niche market.
The standard is 1.0 and so, companies that receive fewer complaints typically have a ratio less than 1.0.
In 2020, Cigna’s complaint ratio was 0.93, slightly better than the national complaint index. This one fact is a great indication that Cigna Health Insurance isn’t a scam. Fitch ratings and other numerous review sites have rated the company “A” as in “Excellent”.
Cigna Health Insurance reviews all over the internet have nothing but praises for the company’s services. This Insurance is absolutely legit. You can be sure of an insurance when your insurance plan kicks in.
As of 2021, Cigna Health and Life Insurance had over 17 million global mental and dental customers. It ranked No.13 on the 2020 List of Fortune 500 companies in the US.
Nevertheless, if you’re looking for a larger health & life insurance policy to protect your family, your benefit will heavily rely on what your salary can sponsor.
According to their website, here are the types of health insurance that Cigna offers:
- Individual health insurance (ROTH-IRA, Medicare, )
- Group health insurance (PPO, HMO, Open Access, customized local plans, traditional indemnity plans, high-deductible health plans)
- Savings and spending accounts (HSA, FSA)
- Dental and vision plans
- Health and wellness programs
- Pharmacy programs
- Life, Group Disability, accidental casualty, and dismemberment insurance
As earlier said at the beginning of this TheWealthCircle article, an unforeseen occurrence can befall any of us at any time. So individuals and parents should ensure they purchase health insurance for themselves, their children, and loved ones.
The Cigna Health insurance review has thrown more light into how to get insured, the pros and cons, and the types of health insurance they provide.
FAQs of Cigna Health Insurance
The exact price of insurance is not fixed because there are a number of plans available each with its price. You can reach out to the highly-trained customer support desk and ask about Cigna health insurance plans. The insurance coverage for the basic plan usually starts roughly at about $5,000 and $19,000 for individuals and families respectively.
Cigna Health Insurance offers individual and family insurance plans. They offer accident and emergency, vision, dental, disability, special need, and supplemental insurance programs. learn more by clicking here.
Some of the benefits you get when you purchase a Cigna health insurance plan include free telehealth/telemedicine calls, no-cost flu shots, and routine check-ups in most US states.
Cigna Health Insurance is rated by renowned financial institutions, medical and pharmaceutical regulatory bodies, and companies. Overall the company has an excellent ratio across multiple broads.
100% coverage for preventive care and public health. Things like vaccination, certain screenings, weight loss, and diabetes control. Aside from these free extras, Cigna Health insurance policies cover accidents and emergencies, surgeries, dental, vision, employer group insurance, and others.