Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships are available and applications are invited from Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada, and International citizens to apply for this scholarship.
You can take advantage of this amazing opportunity to pursue a fulfilling and tuition-free doctorate study in Canada under the Vanier CGS scheme.
Eligibility criteria should be read through carefully.
- Brief Description on Vanier CGS
- Why the Vanier Canadian Graduate Scholarships
- Level/Field(s) of study
- Host Institution(s)
- Number of Scholarships
- Eligible Nationality
- Scholarship value/Duration
- Application Instructions
- ResearchNet Application Process: General Information
- Completing a Vanier CGS application
- CGS Vanier Scholarships Timeline
- Frequently Asked Questions
Brief Description on Vanier CGS
The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) was created to attract and retain world-class doctoral students and to establish Canada as a global center of excellence in research and higher learning.
The scholarships are towards a doctoral degree (or combined MA/Ph.D. or MD/Ph.D.).
Why the Vanier Canadian Graduate Scholarships
The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) program is administered by the Vanier-Banting Secretariat (the Secretariat) on behalf of Canada’s three federal granting agencies. The Secretariat is housed within the Canadian Institutes of Health Research.
The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) is administered by the Canadian institution at which the doctoral student holds the scholarship. Vanier Scholars should refer to the Tri-Agency Research Training Award Holder’s Guide for regulations governing the use of Vanier CGS funds.
Vanier Fellows has leadership and a high level of academic performance in the social sciences and humanities, science and/or engineering, and health sciences.
Level/Field(s) of study
This scholarship is designed for PhD programs (or combined MA/Ph.D. or MD/Ph.D.) in health research; natural sciences and/or engineering research; and social sciences and/or humanities research
Only Canadian Universities with Vanier CGS allocation can host the scholarship. Without exception, the Vanier CGS is tenable only at the eligible Canadian institution that submitted the nomination.
Number of Scholarships
Up to 167 Vanier CGS scholarships are awarded annually to successful candidates who are willing to pursue their academics in the field of study in Canada.
Only Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada, and foreign citizens are eligible to be nominated for a Vanier CGS.
The scholarships are worth $50,000 per year for three years. Each Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship is worth $50,000 per year. Up to 166 scholarships are awarded annually.
To be considered for a Vanier CGS, you must:
- be nominated by only one Canadian university, which must have received a Vanier CGS allocation;
- be pursuing your first doctoral degree (including joint undergraduate/graduate research program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD – if it has a demonstrated and significant research component). Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- intend to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral (or combined MA/PhD or MD/PhD) studies and research at the nominating university; Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- Have completed no more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2020;
- Have achieved a first-class average, as determined by your university, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent. Candidates are encouraged to contact the university for its definition of a first-class average; and
- Not have already received a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC, or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree.
Candidates must be nominated by a Canadian Institution with a quota at which they want to study. Candidates cannot apply directly to the Vanier CGS program.
Applications are initiated in one of two ways. Either the student informs the faculty of graduate studies at the selected institution of their intent to apply to the Vanier CGS program;
OR the institution initiates the nomination process by contacting the desired candidate.
Applications are prepared by the student and submitted to the nominating institution by their internal deadline using the ResearchNet application system.
The nominating institution then forwards recommended nominations to the Vanier-Banting Secretariat (the Secretariat) by November 2020.
It is important to visit the official website (link found below) to access the application form and to know the complete details on how to apply for this scholarship.
Click on the Official Scholarship Link to get more information and commence application
ResearchNet Application Process: General Information
- In ResearchNet, complete all tasks listed for the Vanier CGS application.
- Preview the Full Application Package version of your application in ResearchNet, using the “Preview Application Materials” task, to ensure that your application is complete.
Note: What you see previewed is exactly how your application will look when submitted electronically to the Canadian nominating institution and to the Vanier CGS program.
- Print the entire application.
- Save the PDF version of the entire, completed application.
- Submit the completed electronic application through ResearchNet by completing the “Consent and Submit Application” task. Note: The nominating institution cannot accept your application until you complete this task.
- For technical help, call 1-888-603-4178 or 613-954-1968 or email email@example.com from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time.
- For program-related help, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Completing a Vanier CGS application
Tips: The following tips may help you in completing your application on ResearchNet. They are tips only; it is the responsibility of the student to submit a complete application:
- Bold text and stars indicate mandatory fields.
- It is important to save any additions or changes before navigating away from the task page(s).
- The status of all tasks must be indicated as complete in order for you to submit your application.
- Students should seek the advice of members of their faculty/department on content-related questions and how best to present the information in the application.
CGS Vanier Scholarships Timeline
|July – November 2020||Applicants seek a nominating institution, prepare and submit an application package.|
|Internal Deadline (varies)||Deadline to submit an application to the nominating institution. Contact the nominating institution for a specific date.|
|November 6, 2020(20:00 ET)||Deadline for institutions to submit nominations to the Vanier CGS program.|
|November 2020 – March 2021||Review and evaluation of nominations.|
|Early April 2021||Anticipated notification of results. Nominees will be notified by email when the results are available on ResearchNet.|
|May 1, 2021, September 1, 2021, or January 1, 2022||Payments begin.|
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the worth of Vernier Canadian Graduate Scholarship?
$50,000 per year
Who is eligible for the Vernier Canadian Graduate Scholarship award?
Canadains and international students.