The University of West Indies (UWI) is delighted to call for applications from Jamaican students for the UWI OPEN SCHOLARSHIP FOR JAMAICAN STUDENTS 2020. Applicants for this scholarship program are advised to ensure that they have complied with the eligibility criteria to the later to void any form of disqualification.
ABOUT UNIVERSITY OF WEST INDIES:
The University of the West Indies (UWI), originally University College of the West Indies, is a public university system established to serve the higher education needs of the residents of 18 English-speaking countries and territories in the Caribbean: Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, The Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Montserrat, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, and Turks and Caicos Islands. Each country is either a member of the Commonwealth of Nations or a British Overseas Territory.
The aim of the university is to help “unlock the potential for economic and cultural growth” in the West Indies, thus allowing improved regional autonomy. The University was originally instituted as an independent external college of the University of London.
The University has produced students who have excelled in a number of disciplines, including the arts and sciences, business, politics, and sports. Notable alumni and faculty include three UWI (Mona) Nobel Laureates, 72 Rhodes Scholars, 3 Gates Cambridge Scholarship winners, 18 current or former Caribbean Heads of Government, and an Olympic medallist. The university’s cricket team previously participated in West Indian domestic cricket, but now participates as part of a Combined Campuses and Colleges team
For more on the University of west indies please see their official link here
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THIS SCHOLARSHIP:
The UWI Open Scholarship is an undergraduate scholarship program and is one of the ways that The University of the West Indies seeks to attract and reward all-around high achievers among the region’s high school students, community and state college graduates and first-year students of the UWI. Over 50 scholarships are available for study at any of The University of the West Indies’ four campuses.
LEVEL OF STUDY:
UWI Open Scholarship is an undergraduate scholarship program that seeks to attract and reward all-around high achievers among the region’s high school students, community and state college graduates and first-year students of any field of study available in the UWI. List of eligible Programs with UCAS code 2019. If you wish to explore more information on Undergraduate Scholarships, click on the link.
This scholarship is to be taken in Jamaica. If you are an international student and you desire to study in Jamaica, Check out the best scholarships obtainable for study in Jamaica. Complete Guide to Getting A UK Tier 4 Student Visa For International Students.
The scholarship is intended basically for jamaicans. Aside from UWI OPEN SCHOLARSHIP, there are other scholarships available to international students to study abroad. You can check our scholarship by country to access all scholarships available. Read also if you wish to study outside your home country Simple and Detailed Answers about Applying and Winning a Scholarship.
The UWI Open Scholarship is literally a FULL scholarship and as said before one of, if not the most lucrative local scholarship program. The Scholarship award covers the cost of tuition, residence costs (on/off campus) and contributions to books and meals.
Eligibility for Scholarship
To be considered eligible for UWI scholarship, you have to comply with the following:
- Are a first-time applicant of any UWI undergraduate degree programme offered at any campus. (Applicants must not already be holders of an undergraduate degree.)
- Have gained at least 5 subjects at the Caribbean Examinations Council (CSEC) level including Mathematics and English A with Grades 1 or 2; at least 6 Units of CAPE including Communication Studies and Caribbean Studies, at the Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examinations (CAPE) Units l and/or ll; or equivalent at GCE O / A Levels with grades 1 or 2.
- Have completed an associate degree from a community or state college with a minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.6 and have applied to or are in the process of applying to The UWI.
- Have completed the first year of a UWI undergraduate degree programme with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.6.
- Are a citizen of one of The UWI’s contributing countries (proof of citizenship will be required).
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE UWI SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM:
To successfully apply for this lucrative scholarship opportunity, students MUST complete the online application form, attached with all supporting documents, which can be emailed to [email protected] with the subject line: ‘The UWI OPEN SCHOLARSHIP’.
The supporting documents that should be attached to the fully completed application form include;
- A 500-word personal essay outlining career aspirations, reason for choice of degree programme, community involvement, and co-curricular activities.
- Evidence of leadership positions at school, university and/or within the wider community; community involvement; and co-curricular activities.
- Two letters of reference – one of which must come from an academic referee attesting to the applicant’s academic ability and potential, demonstrated leadership qualities, and character. (Referees must have known the applicant for at least two years. All referees must affix the official stamp of their office/department/organization).
- Note: It is the responsibility of the applicants to ensure that letters of reference are received in sealed envelopes and submitted to the Office of the Board for Undergraduate Studies with the other supporting documents by the deadline date.
Latest updates on the scholarships application deadline will be communicated soon, we advise that you stay tuned for this information
NOTE: only students that have succeeded in applying and have been selected will be contacted
We have other great scholarship opportunities that might be of help to your search
- 50 international ambassador scholarships at the University of West London in UK , 2019
- European Masters Scholarships in Software Engineering (EMSE), 2019/2020
- Cambridge organ scholarships 2019 | Organ awards
- Open Society Initiative for West Africa (OSIWA) Grants 2019
- Kemitraan Negara Berkembang (KNB) Scholarship for Gambians 2019
- International Students Millennium Development Scholarship in UK 2019
- COMMONWEALTH MASTERS AND Ph.D. SCHOLARSHIPS FOR GAMBIAN STUDENTS 2019
- Fully-funded Masters Scholarships At Swire/Oxford & Cambridge Society of Kenya 2019/2020
- International Ambassador Scholarships at University of West London
- DAAD SCHOLARSHIP FOR GAMBIAN STUDENTS 2019-2020
Want to study in abroad? Hurry and apply for the UWI Open Scholarship for Jamaican Students, 2019. see details for application pocedure and program deadline