The Africa Food Prize is rewarding distinguished women, men, and institutions whose outstanding contributions to African agriculture are forging a new era of sustainable food security and economic opportunity that elevates all Africans.
Eligible Countries: Countries in Africa
To be taken at (country): The Prize will be awarded annually at the Africa Food Prize gala dinner on 6th September 2017 during AGRF in Abidjan, Ivory Coast.
About the Award: The Africa Food Prize evolved from the Yara Prize, which was established in 2005. With agriculture emerging as Africa’s best bet for increasing food security and expanding economic opportunity, a $100,000 award called the Africa Food Prize, has been created to inspire innovations in the field and the marketplace.
Today, in places like Ghana and elsewhere in sub-Saharan Africa there are glimpses of the enormous progress African farmers can make when they have what they need to succeed, and how the food they produce and the income they earn can send good vibrations throughout the economy. But many challenges remain. In addition to a dearth of financing, millions of farmers lack understanding of good agricultural practices and they have limited or no access to high quality agricultural inputs, safe storage, and basic processing, which collude to stifle production and income opportunities.
Type: Agricultural Contest
- The Africa Food Prize can be awarded to any individual or identifiable group of individuals, as well as to established institutions, associations, organizations or government bodies with a formal and recognized judicial and organizational structure contributing to the overall objectives of the Prize.
- The Prize can be awarded to any qualified candidate, irrespective of nationality, profession or location, whose work, and contributions deriving from the work, has had a clear impact on the African situation, nationally, regionally or for the continent.
- The Prize can be awarded with reference to a specific contribution or achievement, or a series of efforts and results in the recent past, preferably within the last few years. Current or recent members of the Africa Food Prize Committee, or an institution/ organization headed by such a member, are ineligible for the Prize.
- The Prize cannot be awarded to a person already deceased, but will be presented in the event a Prize winner dies before receiving the Prize. The Prize can be awarded to more than one winner, but not more than two.
- If shared, each winner will receive equal prize money (USD 100 000 divided in two), a diploma and a trophy.
- Contribution to reducing poverty and hunger and/or improving food and nutrition security in measurable terms
- Contribution to providing a vital source of income and/or employment in measurable terms
- Potential for transformative change through scalability, replication, and sustainability
- Increased awareness and cooperation among African audiences and organizations
- Proven leadership potential of the individual or organization, specifically the ability of the to persevere desp
Number of Awardees: One (1). The Africa Food Prize Committee chooses the Africa Food Prize winner by unanimous vote. The Prize Committee has absolute authority and its decisions cannot be overruled or appealed.
Value of Award: $100,000, a diploma and a trophy.
How to Apply: Nominations can be submitted in three ways:
- Via post:
- Attn: The Africa Food Prize Secretariat
West End Towers, 4th Floor, Kanjata Road
Off Muthangari Drive, off Waiyaki Way
P.O Box 66773, Westlands 00800, Nairobi, Kenya
- Via email:
- [email protected]
- by filling out the form
Award Provider: The Africa Food Prize Committee
Application Deadline: 5th of June, 2017 | Offered annually? Yes