Applications are now been submitted for the US Applicants Whitaker International Fellows and Scholars Program 2018-2019, all applications are to be submitted before the deadline as stated.
Whitaker International Fellows and Scholars Program sends emerging leaders in U.S. biomedical engineering (or bioengineering) overseas to undertake a self-designed project that will enhance their careers within the field.
Level: Scholarships are available for conducting academic or scientific research in a university or laboratory or pursuing coursework at an academic institution.
Field(s): Biomedical Engineering.
School(Institutions/ Country): | Abroad (except USA or Canada)
‣Scholarship covers: The Whitaker International Fellows and Scholars Program offers a stipend commensurate with the recipient’s experience and expected expenses in the host country.
Whitaker International Fellows and Scholars must meet requirements:
- hold a Bachelor’s degree by the beginning date of the grant or
- Be in or have recently completed a Master’s degree or
- Be in a PhD program or
- Be currently employed, with the most recent degree no higher than an MS
- Whitaker Scholars (post-doctoral) must meet the the basic eligibility requirements and must: Currently have a PhD (within the past 3 years) or will be awarded the PhD before beginning a Whitaker grant.
‣ Applicants will be notified of decisions by email in early April 2018.
Scholarship Application Method
All applicants should review the detailed instructions on application procedure before beginning the online application.
Applications must be completed and submitted electronically by Tuesday, January 24, 2017.
The below forms are required components of a complete application, and must be submitted online, except as noted.
- Nomination by the Dean of a School or Chair of Biomedical Engineering Note: if your major is not BME, the Chair of your department can provide the Nomination.
- Three Letters of Reference in addition to the nomination
- Foreign Language Report (if applicable)
- Host Institution Letter of Support*
A complete application requires a Letter of Support from an in-country host institution or supervisor. This should be submitted on institutional letterhead. However, in the event that you are applying for a degree program where it is not possible to obtain a letter of acceptance by the Whitaker Program’s deadline, then a letter of support from a faculty member within the relevant department at the proposed institution is recommended.
- Official Transcripts from all degree institutions for both Fellows and Scholars*
*Originals must be submitted in hard copy (please note, original means hard copy that is signed/stamped and not a scanned or emailed version). We can accept these components together or separately. The letter must be in a sealed envelope, signed across the flap by the author; each transcript should be forwarded in the envelope in which it was received from the submitting institution. Mail by the deadline to:
Whitaker International Program
Institute of International Education
809 United Nations Plaza
New York NY 10017