Offers are available for 18 PhD Scholarships in Biomolecular Sciences at the University of Trento for the 2017-2018 Academic session. Italian and foreign applicants who are passionate about conducting research work on bio-molecular sciences are eligible to apply for this fellowship programme
The University of Trento is an Italian university located in Trento and nearby Rovereto. It has been able to achieve considerable results in didactics, research, and international relations according to CENSIS and the Italian Ministry of Education.
The programme is conducted entirely in English. An international certificate attesting the candidate’s knowledge of English at C1 level or higher in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) is an indispensable requirement for admission. Foreign students are encouraged to obtain a working knowledge of the Italian language. Applicants may have their TOEFL language test results directly sent to the School. Please note that the TOEFL Code Control of the School of International Studies is 6286.
Course Level: Scholarships are available to pursue PhD programme.
Study Subject: Scholarships are awarded in the field of Biomolecular Sciences.
Number of Scholarships: Scholarships are funded by:
- 6 scholarships funded by the University of Trento, on research topics to be carried out at the laboratories of CIBIO – Centre for Integrative Biology;
- 12 additional scholarships on reserved topics that require specific competence assessed during the oral examination and funded.
Scholarship can be taken in Italy
Eligibility: The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
- Applications for doctoral positions are accepted from Italian as well as foreign applicants, regardless of gender and age, provided their eligibility by possessing:
a) an Italian “Laurea Magistrale”, according to the Ministerial Decree no. 270 of 22.10.2004 and subsequent amendments, or
b) an equivalent Italian university degree (previous regulations in force, “Laurea specialistica”, AFAM), or
c) an equivalent foreign degree (Master’s degree) obtained at an officially acknowledged academic institution, valid for admission to PhD studies in the Country of issue and similar (duration and level) to the Italian degree, recognized as equivalent1 by the Admissions Committee for the sole purpose of access to the PhD Programme. Any degree in a scientific and technological area will be given preferential status.
- Applications are also accepted from students expecting to obtain the required degree by October 31st, 2017. Admission to the Doctoral Programme for successful applicants who have not yet graduated will be “conditional” and the applicant will have to submit to the Doctorate Office S&T (via email to phd.officest-at-unitn.it) by November 6th, 2017, on penalty of exclusion, a certificate or self-declaration of the degree awarded.
- Applicants with a foreign qualification who do not have a legally recognized title equivalent to an Italian degree (Laurea Magistrale/Specialistica/vecchio ordinamento) will be considered on hold in requesting the equivalence in their application. In this case, the applicant is requested to attach the necessary supporting documents. The Admissions Committee may require the applicants to provide additional documentation in order to assess their eligibility. The ID list of applications whose foreign academic qualifications have been considered not eligible for admission to the selection will be available on the web page of the admission procedure.
Nationality: Italian, as well as foreign applicants, are eligible to apply for this fellowship programme.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must have an equivalent foreign degree (Master’s degree) obtained at an officially acknowledged academic institution.
English Language Requirements: English language certification establishing a minimum level of B1 according to CEFR9. The following exceptions are accepted: – If the candidate is a native English speaker or attended a Bachelor’s or Master’s level course taught entirely in English, a self-declaration is sufficient.
– If the candidate studied or carried out research abroad for 6-months minimum in a country where the knowledge of English is required, a certification by the institution where the candidate carried out the activity, stating the level of English obtained, is sufficient (EU citizens may deliver a self-declaration, according to art. 46 of Presidential Decree n. 445 of 28.12.2000 and subsequent amendments, only for activities that have been carried out at a public institution of the member countries of the European Union);
– If the candidate passed one or more English language exams at level B1 during Bachelor or Master’s degree, a certificate by the University stating the level of English obtained is sufficient (EU citizens may deliver a self-declaration, according to art. 46 of Presidential Decree n. 445 of 28.12.2000 and subsequent amendments, only for activities that have been carried out at a public institution of the member countries of the European Union).
How to Apply: The mode of application is online. The University will accept any additional documents to the submitted application if sent by email to ateneo-at-unitn.it (Subject: “Application ID number- candidate’s Surname and Name – Doctorate in Biomolecular Sciences – 33° cycle – Supplement to application”) by August 23rd, 2017 at 04:00 p.m. Italian time. Additional documents submitted by other means will be disregarded.
- Identifying document (ID): A copy of the applicant’s valid identity card (only EU citizens) or passport (non-EU citizens), in particular of the pages reporting his/her photograph, personal data, number, place and date of issue, expiry date and signature;
- Academic certificate: Italian qualification and foreign qualification.
- Curriculum vitae et studiorum
- Summary of the degree thesis
- Applicants who already obtained the title must attach copy of the thesis frontispiece that includes title and name of the supervisor. Applicants who haven’t obtained the degree yet must submit a declaration (Annex B) that includes contact details of the thesis supervisor.
- A letter of motivation
- English language certification establishing a minimum level of B1 according to CEFR9.
- A brief research project in English
- Only for those interested in the admission to the Transdisciplinary programme in Computational Biology.
Application Deadline: Scholarship application deadline is August 23, 2017.