SEARCH FOR ANY SCHOLARSHIP HERE
The University of Pretoria is a research intensive university. Hence, it is seeking candidates for doctoral studies who will make significant contributions to its research endeavour. As part of South Africa’s contribution to the Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan, the University of Pretoria has made funds available for two doctoral scholarships for students coming from Commonwealth Countries (excluding South African students). This scholarship will be known as the University of Pretoria Commonwealth Doctoral Scholarship and will be awarded on a competitive basis.
The University of Pretoria turned 110 in February 2018. It is a world-class university which is one of the biggest research producers in South Africa and in Africa. It is unique as it is the only university in the country that has a Veterinary Science Faculty. This Faculty is highly recognised in Africa. Spread over seven campuses, it now has more than 53 000 students, nine faculties and a business school
The University of Pretoria has established a reputation for academic excellence, particularly in relation to some of its major research activities. Information about these research activities can be obtained from the website of the University.
Level/Field of study:
The University of Pretoria scholarships are available for pursuing the Doctoral programme.
The scholarship is hosted by the University of Pretoria, South Africa
Scholarship is open to international students especially from commonwealth countries.
The value of this Doctoral Scholarship will be R150 000. This amount must be used to cover the following student costs:
- Accommodation and living costs
- Fees p.a.
- Medical Aid p.a.
- Research costs will be covered by the Supervisor
Additional costs covered by the University:
- Return flight ticket from home country
- Shuttle service on arrival in South Africa from OR Tambo International Airport to Pretoria and return from Pretoria to OR Tambo on completion.
- Application fee and Visa costs which will be refunded on proof of receipts on arrival.
Costs not covered by the Institution:
- Family expenses
- Additional baggage expenses
The number of offers available is 2 doctoral scholarships.
An applicant is eligible for the award of a scholarship in a year if, in that year, the applicant:
- Citizens of the Commonwealth countries may apply. South African citizens are not eligible.
- The scholarship is tenable at the University of Pretoria.
- Applicants must have completed a degree that will give them admission to a doctoral programme a maximum of three years prior to their application for this scholarship.
- Applicants must not be older than 35 years of age at the time of application.
- Master’s and PhD students currently registered at the University of Pretoria are NOT eligible to apply.
In order to be considered for this scholarship, candidates must submit the following documentation to the University of Pretoria;
- An agreement and motivation, from a suitable academic supervisor at the University, that the candidate can work under their supervision.
- An outline (one A4 page), of the research work that they wish to undertake
- UP Application Form can be downloaded from the following links: www.up.ac.za/downloadpdfform
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) – no more than 4 pages
- Two certified passport copies
- Full academic transcripts of all qualifications obtained.
- 2 Letters of reference from academics/supervisors who have current knowledge of the applicant’s academic performance. Referees should be asked to comment on the following aspects of the candidate’s qualities:
- Past academic performance
- Research ability as evidenced by their Masters studies
- Suitability for the study that is proposed
- Potential in the chosen field of doctoral studies.
Note: Referees to send directly to Leanne.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hard copy Application Format: Submitted together with the required supporting documents to the Consultant at the Client Service Centre and to the proposed supervisor:or
- Electronic application Format: Send the “T” number details and the supporting documents to the Consultant at the Client Service Centre and inform the proposed supervisor.
Information on: www.up.ac.za/feesfunding (link – Postgraduate funding, External Bursary page)
University of Pretoria Commonwealth Doctoral Scholarship is on 20 August of the year preceding study
we also recommend the following scolarships