In this article, we will look at one of the most prestigious universities in Nigeria. This university is a dream of many Nigerian Students and also some International Students who wish to study in Nigeria. The University of Nigeria, Nsukka, also known as UNN hereby present their scholarships, admission, courses, tuition fees and ranking to prospective students.
Inspired by Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe, University of Nigeria, Nsukka, was founded due to the bill of law passed in 1955, on the eighteenth day of May.
However, the activities of the university as an institution of higher learning started on the 7th of October, 1960 after Nigeria gained her independence.
The University of Nigeria, Nsukka is the nation’s university situated in Nsukka, Enugu state. It is one of the most prestigious universities in the country.
Basically, University of Nigeria, Nsukka got its name as a result of being the first indigenous and autonomous university of the country.
- Notable Alumni from the University of Nigeria
- UNN RANKING
- UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA, NSUKKA POSTGRADUATE SCHOOL
- UNN ADMISSION
- CUT OFF MARKS FOR UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA, NSUKKA
- UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA, NSUKKA DIRECT ENTRY
- UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA, NSUKKA SCHOOL FEES
The University of Nigeria, Nsukka has four campuses:
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka campus: located in the heart of Nsukka, the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, popularly known as UNN is the main campus of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka.
It houses some faculties like the faculties of Engineering, pharmaceutical sciences, physical sciences, social sciences, veterinary medicine, agriculture, biological sciences, Education, and arts.
- University of Nigeria, Enugu campus: the University of Nigeria, Enugu campus, popularly known as UNEC is located in Enugu town of Enugu state. It houses the faculty of Business Administration, Environmental Studies, Law, Medical Sciences, Dentistry and health sciences.
- University of Nigeria, Teaching Hospital, Ituku Ozalla campus: located in Ituku Ozalla, the University of Nigeria, Ituku-Ozalla campus, popularly known as UNTH houses the Faculty of Medical Sciences and the College of Medicine.
Most of their practical medical works are performed at UNTH.
- University of Nigeria, Aba campus: the University of Nigeria, Aba campus, located in Aba in Abia state, houses the institute of Nigerian Languages.
Actually, UNN has a number of other affiliate schools.
She has fifteen faculties and one hundred and two academic departments.
Hence, the University of Nigeria has a wide range of 82 undergraduate programmes and 211 postgraduate programmes.
The University of Nigeria, Nsukka’s official website: www.unn.edu.ng.
Notable Alumni from the University of Nigeria
- Chris Ngige, Governor of Anambra State, Nigeria (2003–2007) and Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (Anambra State, Anambra Central Senatorial District), 2011 – 2015
- Chimaroke Nnamani, Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (Enugu East Senatorial District, Enugu State) and Governor of Enugu State (1999–2007)
- Okwesilieze Nwodo, Governor of Enugu State, Nigeria (1992–1993)
- Akpan Isemin, Governor of Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria (1992–1993)
- Peter Obi, Governor of Anambra State, Nigeria (2006 – 2014)
- Peter Odili, Governor of Rivers State, Nigeria (1999–2007)
- Sullivan Chime, Governor of Enugu State, Nigeria (2007 – 2015)
- Ike Ekweremadu, Deputy Senate President, Nigeria
- Ousman Jammeh, Gambian Foreign Minister (2009–2010)
- Lam Adesina, in the pioneer class of 1963; Governor of Oyo State, Nigeria (1999–2003)
- Olisa Agbakoba, class of 1977 (Law); Senior Advocate of Nigeria; founder of Nigeria’s foremost human rights organization, the Civil Liberties Organisation (CLO) and former president of the Nigerian Bar Association (2006–2008)
- Dora Akunyili, Director-General, National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) (2001 – 2008), Federal Minister of Information and Communication, Nigeria (2008–2010).
- Fabian Osuji, former Federal Minister of Education
- Oserheimen Osunbor, Governor of Edo State, Nigeria (2007–2008) and Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (Edo State, Edo Central Senatorial District), 1999–2007
- Celestine Onwuliri, Professor of Parasitology and Honourable Commissioner for Information, Culture, Youths & Sports, Imo State (1997-1999), Honourable Commissioner for Agriculture(1998), Vice-Chancellor Federal University of Technology, Owerri (2006-2011), Ag. Vice-Chancellor, University of Jos, Honourable Commissioner for Agriculture, Honourable Commissioner for Information, Culture, Youths & Sports, Imo State
- Ike Ekweremadu, Deputy Senate President, Nigeria
- Godwin Emefiele, Group managing director/CEO, Zenith Bank Plc., Nigeria, Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (2014-)
- Jacob K. Olupona, Professor of African Religious Traditions and Chair of the Committee on African studies at the Harvard Divinity School with a joint appointment as Professor of African and African American Studies in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences at Harvard University
- Obiageli Ezekwesili, Vice President (Africa Region), World Bank and Federal Minister of Education (2006–2007) and Solid Minerals Development (2005–2006), Nigeria
- Betty Anyanwu-Akeredolu, pisciculturist, philanthropist, and the First Lady of Ondo State in Nigeria
- Fabian Udekwu professor of surgery, cardiac surgeon, the first person to perform open-heart surgery in black Africa.
- Bennet Omalu (b.1968) class of 1990, physician, a forensic pathologist, professor, discoverer of the relationship of the neurological disease Chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) to some concussions in American football
- Moji Christiana Adeyeye, Director-General, National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) (2017 – present); First African Woman Fellow, American Association of Pharmaceutical Sciences (AAPS)
- Olu Oguibe, Professor of Art and African-American Studies and interim Director of the Institute for African American Studies at the University of Connecticut, Storrs
- Charles Chukwuma Soludo, Governor Central Bank of Nigeria (2004–2009)
- Herbert Wigwe, CEO Access Bank, Nigeria
- Bianca Odumegwu-Ojukwu, Special Assistant on Diaspora Affairs, Nigeria; MBGN 1988, Miss Intercontinental 1989
- Zack Orji, actor
- Obiora Udechukwu, head, Fine Arts Department, St. Lawrence University, New York
- Fabian Osuji, former Federal Minister of Education
- Chinua Achebe, Emeritus Professor of English, 1985 and father of African Literature.
World ranking: the University of Nigeria, Nsukka is ranked the 1537th in the world, according to UniRank rankings.
US news in 2020 ranks it 1393 among the best global universities and 64th in best global universities in Africa.
Country ranking: In Nigeria, the University of Nigeria is ranked the third in Nigeria, according to NUC ranking of 2020 Nigerian University Ranking.
The faculties in the University of Nigeria, Nsukka are:
- Agric Extension services
- Agricultural economics
- Animal science
- Art (Combined Honours)
- Adult education
- Agricultural science and education
- Agricultural and Bioresources engineering
- Business education
- Banking and finance
- Biological sciences
- Business management
- Crop science
- Computer science
- Civil engineering
- Computer education
- Computer with statistics
- Creative arts
- Dentistry and dental surgery
- Electrical engineering
- Electronic engineering
- Estate management
- Education and social science
- Education and chemistry
- Arts Education
- Education science
- English and literary studies
- Fine art/fine and applied arts
- French with German/Russian
- Library and Information Science
- Linguistics Igbo and other African Languages
- Religious studies
- Theatre and Film studies
- Guidance and counselling
- Health education
- Home economics and education
- Industrial technical education
- Physical education
- Mechanical engineering
- Surveying and geoinformatics
- Urban and Regional planning
- Medical laboratory science
- Medical rehabilitation
- Medicine and Surgery
- Physics and astrology
- Pure and applied chemistry
- Pure and industrial chemistry
- Statistics zoology
- Food science and technology
- Home science
- Nutrition and dietetics
- Social science
- Public administration and local government
- Veterinary medicine.
Other Courses include
- SANDWICH COURSES
- Ed in adult education
- In arts education
- Ed in Science education
- Ed in Health and physical education
- In Social science education
- Ed in Vocational teacher education
- MLS degree in Library and Information science
- PGDE in vocational teacher education
- PGDE in Library and Information science
UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA, NSUKKA POSTGRADUATE SCHOOL
Application for admission into the University of Nigeria, Nsukka for regular/sandwich programme, postgraduate diploma, masters and doctoral degree programmes are considered once in an academic session.
Eligibility for master’s programme at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka
- Must be a graduate of the University of Nigeria or any other recognised universities and have obtained a first degree in relevant disciples with a GPA of not less than 2.50.
- Applicant should possess post-graduate diplomas from the University of Nigeria or any other recognised institution in the country with the least of credit level pass and a minimum GA of 3.5 on a 5-point scale or 3.0 GPA on a 4-point scale.
- Candidates with unclassified first degrees should have scored 50% or higher.
- For M.Ed degree programmes, applicants with the least of a good second class single honours degree in teaching subjects with the least of a merit level pass at PDGE (Post Graduate Diploma in Education), or candidates with a third-class honours degree in teaching subjects with PGDE at credit level or more.
- For MPA degree programme, applicants should be serving administrative/managerial staff in the Public or Private sector with the least of two years post qualification cognate experience in addition to a first-degree certificate and post-graduate diplomas.
- Applicants with Professional Fellowship qualifications like FIMLT, FNILT, NIPR or their equivalents obtained through exams and must have worked as Senior Technologist or in an equivalent position for the least of three years.
- For MPH degree programme, applicants should also have, in addition to a first-degree certificate, a least of three years relevant post-qualification experience or at least a second class honours in Nursing sciences, sociology and social work, psychology, medical laboratory sciences, health education, pharmacy, DNM, MBBS and BDS.
- Applicants with qualifications other than those listed above and are acceptable to the Senate of the University of Nigeria are also welcome to apply.
Eligibility for doctoral degree programme at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka
- Applicant must have obtained a master’s degree for the proposed area of study with a minimum of 3.5 on a 5-point scale or 3.0 on a 4-point scale. OR
- A grade of B (60%) at the Master’s degree average with satisfactory work on research during the Master’s degree programme.
Admission deadline: the application for postgraduate studies at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka is usually online and the dates for application usually comes in the middle of the year, between May and July. The specific dates are on the school website.
General entry requirements:
- Students for masters are to provide their certificate for the first-degree studies.
- Students for the doctoral degree are to provide their certificate of previous studies (first degree and masters.)
- National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) certificate discharge or exemption/exclusion certificate.
- A copy of academic transcripts.
- All applicants must sit for a computer-based Post Graduate Admission Screening Test.
Applications should be sent by courier to:
School of Postgraduate Studies
University of Nigeria,
DURATION OF STUDY
Regular Postgraduate diploma: two semesters
Sandwich postgraduate diploma: three long vacations
Regular master’s degree: minimum of three semesters for full time and 5 semesters for part-time.
Sandwich M.Ed: three long vacations
Doctorate degree: minimum of six semesters for full time and eight semesters for part-time. (No sandwich available for PhD programmes.)
The students for undergraduate programmes have four modes of entry:
- Entrance examination
- Direct entry
- Sandwich programme
The requirements for admission into an undergraduate programme at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka are as follows
- Age requirements: the applicant should not be less than 16 years of age.
- Academic requirements: the applicant should ensure that they have five credit passes including English language and a science subject in not more than two sittings of WASSCE or NECO
- Applicants must sit for the UTME examination and scored a total of 180 or more.
- Successful candidates will sit for the Post UTME screening exercise
- Direct Entry applicants must meet the UTME requirements for the intended course of study.
For more information on the postgraduate school of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, please visit:
UNN ADMISSION LIST
Successful candidates from the Post UTME screening exercise for admission into the University of Nigeria, Nsukka will be notified of their admission by publication on the school website. The list is released in batches.
Candidates who made the general school cut but were not offered provisional admission, maybe because they did not make the cut for their intended course of study are required to purchase a supplementary admission form from the school website and opt for another course with vacancies for which they made the cut.
The list of successful candidates would be published on the school website. The JAMB portal will also notify successful candidates of their admission status and course of study.
For more information, please visit the school website:
CUT OFF MARKS FOR UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA, NSUKKA
The cut marks for admissions into the University of Nigeria, Nsukka vary from year to year for individual courses, however, there is a general school cut off of 180 requirement for admission into the University of Nigeria, Nsukka.
The individual cuts for each department are released each year. This can be assessed at the school’s official website where all official guidelines and pronouncements are made accessible to the general public at:
UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA, NSUKKA DIRECT ENTRY
Eligibility for application for admission into the University of Nigeria, Nsukka through the Direct Entry
- Applicants should have a School Certificate/GCE ‘O’ level and the Higher School Certificate/GCE ‘A’ level with passes in two subjects at an ordinary or advanced level with passes of credit level in three other subjects in not more than two sittings.
- A School Certificate/GCE ‘O’ level and the Higher School Certificate/GCE ‘A’ level with passes in three subjects at an ordinary or advanced level with a pass in any other subject at subsidiary or credit level in not more than two sittings.
- Applicants should have a School Certificate/GCE of Higher School Certificate/GCE ‘A’ level with passes in four subjects at an advanced level in not more than two sittings.
- Applicants should have a School Certificate or its equivalent with the least of four credit level passes including English language and approved 2-year diploma.
- Post-secondary qualification beyond the ordinary, advanced levels and school certificates. The qualifications should include degree and diplomas of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka and other Universities or Institutions recognised by the University.
- Applicants should have a Diploma in music education with the degree programme in music.
- Applicants should have the Nigeria Certificate in Education (NCE) with the least of a Merit aggregate, and a minimum of a credit pass in the relevant subjects
For more information, please visit:
UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA, NSUKKA SCHOOL FEES
The school fees of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka varies from year to year but usually in a close range of the list below.
Even the 2019/2020 fees schedule stipulates this.
- For first-year students: ₦70000 – ₦77000
- Second year students: ₦47000 – ₦54000
- For other years: ₦40000 – ₦47000
- For final year students: ₦41000 – ₦47000
Laptop fee: there is a mandatory laptop fee for the students of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka. Where each student is supplied with a laptop. This is payable once by each student. There is an option of paying in instalments for the PCs.
Full payment: ₦90000
- Payment 1: ₦30000
- 2: ₦30000
- Payment 3: ₦30000
- Payment 4: ₦30000
Paying in instalment is worth ₦120,000.
- UNN SCHOLARSHIPS
The Federal government scholarship scheme is for the faculty of medicine and other faculties at UNN from 200 level and above. Their CGPa must be 4.0 and above.
Tetfund and many other scholarship schemes for postgraduates are available for students to partake in. Also, there are some national scholarships that are acceptable at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka. These scholarships can be accessed at
Scholarships available for foreign students:
Scholarship worth $6000 per year is available for foreign students at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka for postgraduate programmes.
Students should not be under any other scholarship at the time of application
Students with a cumulative GPA of 3.5 and above on a 5-point scale in the undergraduate or postgraduate studies.
There are many good things about this great University in Nigeria that we cannot exhaust in one post.
Howbeit, the choice is yours to make.
We hope you give this great citadel of learning a chance to be a tool in the making of the great person you are becoming.