Applications are currently ongoing at the University of Cambridge foe a PhD Studentship in Machine Learning Computational Biology (Fixed Term) for the academic year 2017-2018. UK applicants can apply for this studentship.
The aim of this project is to use the large data set of daily physiological telemetry recordings and longitudinal clinical metadata collected through the UK SmartcareCF study.
The University of Cambridge is a collegiate public research university in Cambridge, England, often regarded as one of the most prestigious universities in the world. The university grew out of an association of scholars who left the University of Oxford after a dispute with the townspeople.
Course Level: Studentship is available to pursue PhD programme.
Study Subject: The Studentship will award in Machine Learning Computational Biology.
Scholarship Award: The scholarship will provide a total bursary of £30,450 GBP paid in annual instalments over four years including a one-time fixed payment for a Laptop and Conference/Travel Reimbursement
Number of Scholarships: Not Known
Scholarship can be taken in the UK
Eligibility: The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for studentship:
- The student will first refine existing dependency graphs of the underlying pathological and physiological processes underlying APEs into a fully specified graphical model consistent with the latest clinical understanding. Suitable machine learning tools, such as the Infer.
- NET framework will be applied to this model to infer the underlying factors influencing APEs, in a similar fashion to existing work on graphical models of asthma (Simpson et al., 2010 AJRCCM 181:1200-6) and of lung function (Chiappa et al., 2013 Respir Res. 14:60).
- With this physiological model in place and verified, the student will extend it to encompass processes that are potential triggers for APEs with the aim of inferring the nature and influence of these trigger processes.
Nationality: UK applicants can apply for this studentship.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: Applicant must have their previous degree.
English Language Requirements: The candidate should have a very good command over the English language.
How to Apply:
- All cover letters and CV’s should be sent to Andres Floto (arf27-at-cam.ac.uk).
- Interviews are planned to be held in mid-June 2017.
- Please quote reference RC12155 on your application and in any correspondence about this vacancy.
Application Deadline: The application deadline is June 10, 2017.