SHARE TO HELP SOMEONE WIN A SCHOLARSHIP TODAY!
The UN Migration Agency (IOM) is calling on Entries from professional and emerging filmmakers to submit perception-changing films about the migrant experience for the second annual Global Migration Film Festival, This is a global event and so therefore,applicants are encouraged to ensure that the comply with all the criteria for this program as listed to avoid disqualification.
About the Award: The Global Migration Film Festival showcases films that capture the promise and challenges of migration for those who leave their homes in search of a better life and the unique contributions migrants make to their new communities.
In 2016, the inaugural festival took place in 89 countries. Nearly 10,000 people attended 220 screenings at cinemas, universities, cultural institutions and other venues. The festival hosted 13 films and documentaries, as well as 200 short films about and by migrants.
Application Deadline: 17th September 2017.
Eligible Countries: 92 Selected Countries. See List below
To Be Taken At (Country): Switzerland
Festival Theme: The promise and challenge of migration, and the positive contributions migrants make to their new communities.
- Professional filmmakers working in all genres are invited to submit films of at least 25 minutes in length for consideration.
- Emerging filmmakers from 92 select countries are invited to submit films of at least 25 minutes in length for both the festival and a competition. A committee of international film professionals will select three standout productions, and each winner will receive USD 1,500.
- Filmmakers from 92 select countries who have migrated in their lifetime are invited to submit a short video about their own experience, or a profile of other migrants, to become part of IOM’s global i am a migrant campaign. These videos will also be considered for screening at the 2017 film festival.
- Festival locations, dates and selected films will be announced in October 2017.
Number of Awards: 3
Value of Award: Winners will receive USD 1,500 each
Duration of Program: Global Migration Film Festival will hold 5–18 December.
- Africa: Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Congo, Côte d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Egypt, Eritrea,Guinea, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar,Mali, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Togo, Tunisia, Zimbabwe,
- Latin America and the Caribbean: Argentina, Belize, Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Guyana, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Saint Lucia, Suriname
- Asia: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Cambodia, China, Fiji, India, Iran (Islamic Republic of), Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kyrgyzstan, Maldives, Marshall Islands, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Samoa, Solomon slands, Sri Lanka, Tajikistan, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Viet Nam.
- Europe: Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, Montenegro, Republic of Moldova, Serbia, The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Turkey, Ukraine.
- Middle East: Yemen, Jordan
How to Apply: SUBMIT YOUR FILM
Award Providers: The Global Migration Film Festival is a partner of Plural+ and the UN campaign, TOGETHER, which aim to change negative perceptions and attitudes towards refugees and migrants.