SHARE TO HELP SOMEONE WIN A SCHOLARSHIP TODAY!
UK Student Visa Requirements 2018
A number of required documents and procedures are essential before you can start your application for a UK student visa. You will need a valid international passport which should have a validity period of a minimum of thirty days after your intended trip to the United Kingdom.
Visit the nearest immigration office to get the passport or apply online for it. There are two student categories under Tier 4 of the points-based system which are the Tier 4 (General) student and the Tier 4 (Child) student.
The Tier 4 (General) category is for students coming to the UK for higher education and the applicant must be at least 16 years old. While the Tier 4 (Child) category is for children between 4 and 15 years old coming to the UK for their education.
Children between 4 and 15 years old can only be educated at independent fee-paying schools.
Cost of UK Student Visa
The fee for the Tier 4 general visa is £310, which converts to approximately 148,167.30 naira. The methods of payment can be either via Online using either a MasterCard or Visa card, through demand draft at the visa application center and selected branches of Standard Chartered Bank, or through Cash at the visa application center and selected branches of Standard Chartered Bank.
UK Student Visa Requirements
Student visa requires the following mandatory documents along with supporting documents of financial and academic records. Ensure you refer to this checklist before applying or going to the consulate for the visa interview.
- A completed student visa application form
- A letter of acceptance on the course. Your approved education provider will give you an acceptance letter (CAS) and a visa letter which are official and unconditional offers of a place on a course of study. The visa letter must be issued no more than six months before you apply, as applications where the visa letters are older than six months will be refused.
- The applicant must meet all the requirements of the immigration rules.
- Proof of funds – The money you need to show covers your course fees for your first year of study and living costs for up to a maximum of nine months, with proof that you have held the money for at least 28 days.
The amount you will need depends on whether you will be studying in or out of London and the end of that 28 day period must not be more than one month before the date of your application.
You must show the following amount of money to meet basic living costs (excluding tuition fees) for a period of up to nine months: £800 (380,979.30 naira) per month if you are living in London; £600 (285,734.47 naira) per month if you are living outside London.
- Visa fees payment confirmation receipt and Pay slips
- Original mark sheets/provisional certificates
- Score sheet of exams like TOEFL, GMAT, IELTS etc.
How to Apply for UK Student Visa
There are several steps to apply for a UK student visa applications. The visa applications are processed within three weeks of the completed application being lodged.
Step 1 –
Check if you qualify
You must be able to show that you have a confirmed place at the school, university or college where you intend to study. It is called a ‘confirmation of acceptance for studies’ (CAS). And Enough money (also known as ‘maintenance or funds’) to cover your course fees and living costs in the UK.
Step 2 –
Get all your mandatory document for UK Student VISA ready
Documents are very paramount in terms of getting a UK Student VISA
- A well detailed Visa Application form (This is done basically online)
- An approved letter of invitation if you are being sponsored by a friend or family member
- One passport photograph that meets the requirements Visa fee
- A valid international passport with a page that is blank on both sides
- Proof of finances (e.g. original bank statement that is not older than 3 months)
- Confirmation of accommodation and flight bookings
- Original marriage certificate if you are travelling with your spouse
- Birth certificates for your children if you are travelling together
- Recent utility bills
- Transcript from your Institution in country if you are heading for a masters Studies.
If you are travelling for business you will need to include: a letter of invitation/confirmation of training/confirmation of conference; and full details for an authorised representative from your company and their contact details.
Note: A consistent income of about ₦200,000 and above is considered a safe amount. Anything less and the embassy may find it hard to trust that you will return to Nigeria.
You can also attache some other supporting documents to strengthen your application.
Step 3 –
You will need to register and create an account on the official UK Visa website. Once you have completed the online application form, you will receive an email message containing your application number.
You will need to print and sign your completed form. You must use the online appointment calendar to book an appointment at the visa application center.
Step 4 –
Pay your application fee
You can pay your visa application fee either via;
- Payment at Standard Chartered Bank. The bank will issue a demand draft in favor of the ‘The British High Commission’.
- Demand draft from a nationalized or foreign bank. The demand draft must be in favor of the ‘The British High Commission’. Bank charges for this service will vary.
- Payment at the visa application center when you submit your visa application.
- Pay online using a Visa or MasterCard credit or debit card.
Step 5 –
Visit the visa application center on the appointed date
You must book and attend an appointment at the visa application center to submit your application, facial photograph and fingerprints.
Wife or children get a Dependent Visa for the same duration as the primary applicant, although this is applicable for Master’s degree application only. Undergraduates cannot take dependents with them to the UK.
If you have a Student visa, your dependents apply as ‘dependent of a Points Based System migrant’ and each dependent is to complete a separate application form and pays a separate fee. Along with your own maintenance funds, you need to show an additional £600 for each dependent for each month that you are applying for up to a maximum 9 months’ maintenance funds.
You can use a scholarship to cover the maintenance funds for your dependents but, the scholarship letter must state that funds are also intended for your dependents.
You don’t get Post Work Visa with Student Visa so if you want to work there after your studies, you need to apply for a Tier 2 visa (meant for Highly Skilled Workers). You need to apply for a work visa separately.
But if you are enrolled in a bachelors degree program or higher at a UK college that is listed on both the official ‘UKBA Sponsor list’ and the list of ‘recognized bodies’, you are allowed to work for up to 20 hours per week and work full-time during vacations or summer holidays.
Your spouse may work in the UK if the grant of leave is for more than 12 months. If your visa was granted for a period of fewer than 12 months or you are participating in a course of study below degree level, your spouse will not be allowed to work in the UK.
Where To Apply
The process of getting a UK student Visa is completely online but, you’ll have to visit the UK Visa Application Centre for Biometrics interview.