SEARCH FOR ANY SCHOLARSHIP HERE
The University of British Columbia is pleased to partner with The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program to provide fully funded scholarships to students from Sub-Saharan Africa. The Program provides access to education for academically talented, yet economically marginalised young people. Scholars in the Program have a demonstrated commitment to giving back to their communities and develop the leadership needed to contribute to social and economic transformation across the continent.
The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program is a 10-year global initiative to educate and develop next-generation leaders who will contribute to social and economic progress. The Program enables young people from economically disadvantaged communities to complete quality secondary and tertiary education, and make successful transitions to further education, or to the workforce in their home countries. Through comprehensive support, Scholars receive learning opportunities that equip them with knowledge, skills, and values needed to succeed in the economy, and make positive impacts in their communities.
This scholarship opportunity is available for first-entry undergraduate programs
Field of study:
Offers are in any field of study offered by the University.
Benefits includes Full scholarships tuition, textbooks, housing, and living expenses; financial, academic which will enable you to gain the experiences and skills you need to succeed.
To be taken in(Country):
Scholarship Number :
Scholarship number is not specified
Citizens of sub-Saharan African Countries
Central African Republic
Congo (Democratic Republic)
Sao Tome and Principe
The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program is open to students who are residents and citizens of a Sub-Saharan Africa country.
- Be a citizen of a Sub-Saharan African country;
- Present economically disadvantaged financial circumstances correspondent to that of the lowest two quintiles of their country’s socio-economic scale, and be able to show they lack financial means from family or other sources to pursue post-secondary (university) education in their home country or elsewhere;
- Have achieved academic excellence (mostly ‘A’s) under difficult circumstances, and show leadership qualities or potential;
- Demonstrate an interest in and commitment to giving back to his/her home community in ways that enhance the economic growth and social development of Africa, through engagement in activities outside the classroom, in the school and/or community;
- Be graduating/recently graduated from a recognized senior secondary school;
- Be applying for their first undergraduate degree in one of the following Faculties at UBC’s Vancouver campus:
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Applied Science (Engineering)
- Vancouver School of Economics (Bachelor of International Economics)
- Faculty of Forestry
- Faculty of Land & Food Systems (including Global Resource Systems; Food, Nutrition & Health; Applied Biology [Applied Animal Biology, Applied Plant & Soil Sciences or Food & the Environment])
- Sauder School of Business (Bachelor of Commerce)
- Faculty of Science
- Be an international student who will be studying at UBC on a Canadian Study Permit;
- Commit to returning to Africa immediately after graduation from UBC in order to apply their training and skills to the betterment of others.
The deadline to apply is November 15th, annually.
A application includes the following components:
- A complete online application – all applicable sections must be fill out, including contact information, financial information, personal details and responses to essay questions.
- Financial documents and Transcript – upload a scan copy of financial documentation and secondary school transcript and any other academic information.
- Two references – provide the names and contact details of two individuals who will serve as your referees. We will contact your referees directly and ask them to submit their letter of reference through a secure website.
You can begin the application by clicking on Online Application
For general information about The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program in UBC, please visit this link
To access other opportunities, click
- MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at McGill University in Canada 2018/2019
- Fully Funded MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Program at Arizona State University and Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology 2018
- Study In US: MasterCard Foundation Masters Scholarships At University Of California, Berkeley
- (Undergraduate & Masters) MasterCard Scholarship at University of Pretoria for African Students 2018