Tullow Oil plc (Tullow), an oil and gas exploration company, in partnership with the British Council, launched a scholarship program, “Tullow Group Scholarship Scheme” (TGSS), for the students desirous of pursuing postgraduate careers in oil and gas industry. The scheme will be reviewed annually.
About Tullow Oil Plc
Tullow Oil plc is a leading independent oil and gas exploration and production company. The company has a strong presence in Africa which provides it with great opportunities to open up new basins and establish new oil producing countries such as Ghana and Uganda.
The Tullow Group Scholarship Scheme (TGSS), administered by the British Council on behalf of Tullow, is aimed at bridging the skills gaps in the oil and gas sector within the countries in which Tullow operates.
The Scholarship scheme started with a pilot phase which commenced in Ghana in September 2011. This pilot scheme supported 24 Ghanaians from the public sector with scholarships to pursue various studies to Masters Level with leading universities in the United Kingdom in an effort to develop local capacity in Ghana for the oil and gas industry.
The scheme sponsors students to take postgraduate degrees in subjects related to the oil and gas sector including Law, Engineering and Environmental Sciences in leading universities in the UK, Ireland, and France.
Tullow launched the scholarship program in collaboration with the British Council that will be responsible for managing the scholarship program.
NOTE: Our Scholarship Award Winning Ebook (worth $50) is up for grab, if you’re reading this article, you stand a chance to win one of our Scholarship Ebook. Read through for eligibility on how to get our scholarship ebook for free.
World Scholarship Forum popular searched Scholarships 2020
- 2020/2021 Fully Funded Scholarships
- ICCR Scholarships 2020-2021
- Full Commonwealth Scholarships 2020-2021
- Erasmus Mundus Scholarships for All Countries 2020-2021
- Scholarships For Developing Countries 2020-2021
- DAAD SCHOLARSHIPS FOR ALL STUDENTS 2020-2021
Don’t miss any of these Scholarship opportunities. You can open any of these opportunities on a new tab.
About British Council
The British Council is a world-renowned organization, specializing in scholarship management and forming partnerships in higher education across the globe. The British Council is the UK’s agency for education and culture. It creates international opportunities for people worldwide.
For over 75 years, the Council has built long term relationships and connections that have created a direct economic and cultural benefit to the UK and the countries it operates in.
The Council provides access to skills, opportunities and UK expertise to millions of people across the world. It delivers this work on the ground where it matters in over 100 countries and territories.
The primary aim of Tullow scholarship is to develop and promote skills of the local talent pool in the oil industry for the economic growth of the nation and for the benefit of oil and gas industry in the long run.
As the Tullow believe, industry skill gaps in an industry are needed to be addressed for the proper and efficient development of the industry.
Tullow Group Scholarship Scheme will be providing much-needed support to a postgraduate degree, technical training, and vocational studies students.
Tullow Group Scholarship in Ghana
Tullow Ghana Limited has launched a scholarship scheme to support needy but brilliant Engineering students at the Ashesi University College.
Beneficiaries of the Tullow Ashesi Engineering Scholarship Scheme, who are five in number for the first batch, will enjoy free tuition, housing, meals, health insurance, among others. The scheme is expected to expand in the coming year to cover at least ten undergraduate students offering courses in Engineering at the Ashesi University.
Tullow Group Scholarship in Kenya
In 2012 and 2013, 10 scholars from Kenya received Tullow Group Scholarships each year and were enrolled in various leading UK universities, including Robert Gordon University, London South Bank University, University of Nottingham, Abertay Dundee, Reading, Portsmouth, Kent, Manchester, South Wales, Newcastle, Cardiff, Surrey, Dundee, Abertay, Leeds and Strathclyde
From 2014 onwards, the number of scholarships was increased from 10 to 30. The lucky beneficiaries from Kenya will get the opportunity to further their education in various sectors relating to the Oil and Gas Industry.
The successful scholars enroll in a variety of academic disciplines including Oil and Gas Law, Oil and Gas Law, Taxation, Environmental Sustainability, Oil and Gas Engineering, Oil and Gas Finance and Economics.
Tullow Group Scholarship in Uganda
Tullow Oil has now offered a total of 55 scholarships to Ugandans for degree studies in the UK as one of its initiatives to address industry skills gaps and national capacity development requirements in Uganda.
This year the scheme will support postgraduate degrees in Engineering Management, Infrastructure Engineering, Environmental Technology, and Petroleum and Gas Engineering at the University of Birmingham, University of Surrey, Coventry University and the University of Salford respectively.
Level/Field of study
It’s a noteworthy point that Tullow is not sponsoring a scholarship for only oil and gas courses; a wide range of courses that will help the economic growth of the participating country will be covered under Tullow Group Scheme as well.
Some of the courses covered are.
- Engineering and technology
- Environment and Geosciences
- Oil and Gas Economics
- Business Journalism
- Logistics and Supply Chain
- Law and legal courses
- Marine Sciences (Fisheries and aquaculture)
- Agriculture and Agro-based course
- Hospitality and Tourism Management
- Business (Economics, Finance, and Management)
- Engineering (Petrochemical Engineering, Subsea Engineering, Petroleum Engineering, Oil and Gas Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Automation Systems, Electrical Engineering, and Chemical Engineering)
- Other (oil and gas related) applied sciences apart from medicine
The Scheme is still in the early stages and will focus on institutions of excellence in the UK and Europe (Ireland and France) in this initial phase. It will facilitate French speakers from the participating counties to study in France if required.
Tullow Group Scholarship Scheme would be bestowed upon those who are serious about contributing towards their country’s development. Students belonging to countries: Uganda, Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Mauritania, French Guiana and Gabon can apply.
These opportunities have a value that includes $60,000 per annum which is a cost of the package per scholar in the region for
- full tuition fees;
- a monthly stipend;
- travel costs;
- warm clothing; and
- baggage allowance
The number of awards/scale of investment in the Scholarship scheme for each country is appropriate to the phase (the project life cycle) of Tullow’s business in that country at present.
The number of awards may vary this year depending on the quality of the applications received. The countries and number of awards may also change in subsequent years in order to maintain alignment with Tullow Group’s business priorities.
The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
- Candidates must be a legal resident of the participating countries.
- Candidate must have a bachelor degree (as stated above scholarship is for postgraduate aspirants) with second class upper, GPA 2.75 or above or first class HND.
- Candidate must not have a previous history of studying abroad. Also, must not be a recipient of some international scholarship in the past or present.
- Candidates must be willing to return to their respective countries after finishing their studies to contribute towards development of their homeland.
- Candidates should also have traits such as strong personality, ambition, leadership, and entrepreneurial skills, creative, competent in management, strategy building and ability to train others if a need arises.
- Applicants with second class upper and first class bachelor degrees may be weighted higher for admission purposes.
- Individuals employed by Tullow and or British Council as staff/contractors/3rd party contractors/consultants or their direct dependents are not eligible to apply for a scholarship.
- Individuals employed by other Oil and Gas companies or companies that have a contract with Tullow are not eligible.
Before applying, candidates must ask themselves and satisfy these questions:
- Do I qualify? Applicants for the Scholarship should meet the ‘Eligibility’ criteria above.
- Do I have the relevant documentation? Applicants must have on hand to submit when requested, original/ scanned copies of all needful documents (the list is found on official website via the link below)
- Have I identified the course / University I would like to study/attend?
- Do I have reliable internet access? All application forms should be completed and submitted online. Special needs applicants should contact the British Council
- Is my personal data and supporting documents up-to-date?
Only applicants who satisfy themselves with the questions above can then go ahead to fill in the Application Form. You may apply for 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice of course in preferred universities.
Applicants from Tullow’s operational areas in Ghana, Uganda, and Kenya may need to provide further documents which will be requested at a later stage from shortlisted applicant only. Click here for more information.
It is important to carefully watch the video clip below and also to visit the official website (link to it is below) to access/read/ accept the complete terms and conditions, and also to apply online to this award.
Selected candidates would have to disclose if there would some obstacles in the way to secure visa or entry clearance to study in the UK/Ireland due to previous convictions, previous refusal of UK/Ireland visa on any grounds or associations with terrorist organizations etc.
Applications usually open from 31st January to 28th February every academic year. Currently, this scholarship is unavailable but we shall keep you posted on the new date.
We recommend other scholarship opportunities.
- HOPES Master’s Degree Scholarship program for refugees Egypt
- Ongoing Scholarships in Nigeria [UPDATED]
- British Council IELTS Scholarship System For The Disabled to Study Abroad
- Commonwealth Shared Scholarship Scheme for Study in UK Universities- APPLY
- ONGC Scholarships for Indian Studentsce in Scotland for Journalists
- CCB Welfare and Scholarship Scheme Online Application, India
- NITDA Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme for Nigerian ICT Students
- EWSETA Bursary South Africa [Updated]
- Federal Govt Scholarship for Undergraduate, HND, NCE and Postgraduate
Does this article meet your immediate needs? if yes, click the SHARE button to share with your friends.
- APPLICATION LINK
- ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
- SCHOLARSHIP WORTH
Looking for scholarship in UK? Tullow Group Scholarship Scheme, is ongoing for African students desirous of pursuing postgraduate careers in oil and gas .