SEARCH FOR ANY SCHOLARSHIP HERE
Applications are invited for the award of the following Undergraduate and Postgraduate Scholarships for the 2018-19 academic year. Scholarships are tenable only at the St. Augustine campus of The University of the West Indies and are normally awarded for a maximum period of TWO (2) YEARS. Ph.D. candidates may be awarded an additional year subject to satisfactory progress of their research.
This scholarship is designed to encourage and retain those citizens who achieved academic excellence at the undergraduate degree level and to foster a culture of excellence by funding studies towards the attainment of higher levels of tertiary education.
About University of the West Indies, St. Augustine campus
The UWI St. Augustine campus is situated 15km from the bustling capital of one of the Caribbean’s most rapidly developing island states, Trinidad and Tobago. With its focus on research and innovation, fully accredited programmes across seven faculties, and a cosmopolitan campus community, St. Augustine is a true representation of an innovative, internationally competitive, contemporary university deeply rooted in the Caribbean.
The UWI is internationally recognised as a centre of excellence in research, knowledge creation and innovation on matters related to the Caribbean and small island states. We aim to provide a high quality teaching and learning environment, facilitate critical thinking, and produce graduates who are equipped to innovate regionally and impact globally. The UWI’s faculty and students come from more than 40 countries and The University has collaborative links with over 160 universities globally.
The Mission Of The UWI Is Further Explained In The Following Context: Provide opportunities to the population of the region and beyond for higher education that fosters creative activity and notions of shared community, enhanced social and interpersonal relations, and critical and creative thinking skills.
Know more about Education in Trinadad & Tobago
The education system in Trinidad and Tobago is one of the government’s highest priorities, and the country has an outstanding reputation in this regard. As of 2015, the country had a literacy rate of 96.9 percent according to UNESCO statistics and has steadily grown since the early nineties.
Education in Trinidad and Tobago is free and compulsory but accessible from the preschool age of three which is considered non-mandatory. After the completion of secondary school, students are given the option of staying on for an additional two years of high school which can lead to an advanced proficiency certificate and entry into a tertiary institution.
University in Trinidad and Tobago is free at the undergraduate degree and only approved at the University of the West Indies, the University of Trinidad and Tobago and the University of the Southern Caribbean. The government of Trinidad and Tobago also provides subsidies for some master’s programs making education in Trinidad and Tobago the best in the Caribbean.
In 2007, Trinidad and Tobago commenced a pilot study to focus on children with special needs outside of partnering with private preschools to develop four models that address childhood education.
Education in Trinidad and Tobago is considered one of the country’s greatest strengths and is very multi-faceted. Trinidad’s education sector stands out among emerging markets and ranks on the global competitiveness report.
The scholarships mentioned below are offered only to FULL-TIME persons pursuing Higher Degrees by Undergraduate and Research (M.Phil./Ph.D.) at the St. Augustine Campus:
Trinidad & Tobago-Grenada joint Scholarships
Trinidad & Tobago-Grenada joint scholarships to suitably qualified persons to pursue studies leading to a Bachelor’s, Masters or a Doctorate degree. the applicant must be
- Be a citizen of Grenada
- Provide at least proof of application to an accredited academic institution in Trinidad & Tobago (University of the West Indies, University of Trinidad & Tobago, University of the Southern Caribbean)
- Be between the ages of 18 to 50 years
UWI Postgraduate Scholarships
available to national, regional and international students
- Applicants from all Faculties pursuing M.Phil. or Ph.D. degrees within the St. Augustine campus can apply for this scholarship.
Eric Williams Memorial Scholarship
available to Caricom Nationals only
- Applicants must be :
- CARICOM nationals with University degrees with their first degree in History, Economics or Political Science.
- pursuing research in either Caribbean History, Caribbean Economic Development or Caribbean Politics.
Elsa Goveia Scholarships
- Applicants must be graduates of The University of the West Indies, University of Guyana or another Caribbean University.
- Two (2) scholarships to be awarded as follows to applicants pursuing research in:
- Caribbean History
- the areas of Sociology, Anthropology, Cultural Studies and Gender Studies.
The scholarship is hosted by the Government of Trinidad & Tobago.
Scholarship is open to local students from Trinidad & Tobago and Grenada,as well as regional and international students who wish to study in University of the West Indies.
These opportunities has value that includes;
- Full tuition only for Undergraduate studies
- The value of the scholarship is TT$60,000.00 per annum for Postgraduate studies
The number of offers was not specified
The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
- Applicants who possess a First or Upper Second Class Honours or its equivalent in their first degree
- Applicants who have received both a Lower Second Class Honours degree or its equivalent and a Taught Masters (i.e. M.Sc./M.A./M.Ed./M.ASc./MFA etc.) or M.Phil. degree.
- A thoroughly completed supervisor’s progress report form outlining the progress of the student’s research and expected completion/submission date of the student’s thesis. (for current registered postgraduate students only)
- For Bachelor’s Degree, applicants must:
- have at least five (5) O’Level subjects, two (2) A ‘level subjects and Caribbean Studies and Communication studies or General Paper or Five (5) O’Level subjects including English Language and Mathematics and an Associate Degree or Advanced Diploma with a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Applicants for undergraduate degrees must prepare and submit a written essay which explains in no more than 400 words:
- The impact they believe their studies will have on their institution/community/country; and
- Their 5-year plan upon returning to Grenada to put into practice the knowledge and experience acquired through the scholarship.
- Complete the online Graduate Scholarship Form.
- Official Transcripts are required from applicants who are not graduates of this university. (This is separate and apart from what was submitted for the M.Phil./Ph.D. degree application.)
- Two (2) Graduate Scholarship Referee Report Forms. Please note these forms are separate from what was submitted for your M.Phil./Ph.D. degree application.
- Research proposal should be approximately 2 pages in length.
- Submit an updated Curriculum Vitae.
- Current research students are required to submit an updated Supervisor’s progress report form. (NB: This form should be signed by your supervisor and Head of Department only).
- NB: An applicant must have submitted an application for a research degree i.e. M.Phil. or Ph.D. to be eligible for consideration of a scholarship.
- NB: All documents mentioned above are critical to the assessment of your application.
Completed application must include the following in duplicate:
- Completed application form
- Certified copies of academic certificate and transcript
- A Five (5) year future plan
- Copy of birth paper
- Two (2) passport size picture
- Copy of acceptance letter
Forms and Documents to obtain:
- Scholarship Application Form
- Referee Form
- Research Proposal Format
- Supervisors Progress Report Form
Kindly address the envelope for the official transcript, applications, referee reports, research proposal and any other supporting documents to:
The Senior Assistant Registrar,
Office of Graduate Studies & Research,
New Student Administration Building,
The University of the West Indies,
St. Augustine, Trinidad W.I.
Attn: Mrs. S. Kalloo-Bhagwandeen
Postgraduate Scholarships & Funding
You can begin the application and get more details by clicking the Scholarship Link
Currently, this scholarship is unavailable but we shall keep you posted on the new date.
We recommend other scholarship opportunities.
Does this article meet your immediate needs? if yes, click the SHARE button to share with your friends. if no, leave a response on the comment box to express your concern or ask question and we will get back to you as soon as possible.