21 doctoral fellowships offers are up at Free University of Berlin and Humboldt University of Berlin. Fellowships are open to highly qualified graduates from any field of ancient studies, or from a closely related discipline.
Topoi combine Berlin’s strengths in ancient studies research. Supported by the Freie Universität Berlin and the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, the Excellence Cluster is the product of cooperation with the four major institutions in Berlin involved in research into antiquity: the Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences and Humanities, the German Archaeological Institute, the Max Planck Institute for the History of Science and the Stiftung Preußischer Kulturbesitz. Central to its mission are the concepts of “space” and “knowledge”.
Course Level: Fellowships are available to pursue doctoral programme.
Study Subject: Fellowships are awarded in the field of Ancient Studies and Related Disciplines. The fellowship is fully associated with the admission to one of the five doctoral programs of the BerGSAS. A structured curriculum forms the base of every doctoral program.
BerGSAS doctoral programs:
- Ancient Languages and Texts (ALT)
- Ancient Objects and Visual Studies (AOViS)
- Ancient Philosophy and History of Ancient Science (APhil/HistAS)
- Landscape Archaeology and Architecture (LAA)
- Languages and Cultures of the Silk Road (Silk Road)
Scholarship Award: Each doctoral fellowship will include a stipend of 1350 euros per month to be awarded for two years, with an option to an extension for a third year upon positive evaluation towards the end of the second year.
Number of Scholarships: 21 doctoral fellowships will be available.
Scholarship can be taken in Germany
Eligibility: Candidates must hold an exemplary Master’s degree or equivalent degree. Each doctoral fellowship will include a stipend of 1350 euros per month to be awarded for two years, with an option to extension for a third year upon positive evaluation towards the end of the second year
Nationality: International students are eligible to apply for these fellowships.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: Candidates must hold an exemplary Master’s degree or equivalent degree.
English language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
How to Apply: Candidates must send their application including the documents listed below and with the application quoting reference number DS-17- Topoi-BerGSAS before May 2, 2017, to application-at-berliner-antikekolleg.org.
Required application documents (1 pdf, max. 10 MB):
- Cover letter (2-3 pages, including the name of the BerGSAS doctoral program for which you are applying)
- Application form
- Curriculum vitae (CV, resume)
- Commitment by the potential supervisor of your dissertation project dissertation project synopsis (8-10 pages)
- Work plan and schedule
- Copies of certificates of any academic degrees
- Copies of certificates of German and/or English languages skills
- Writing sample (15-20 pages)
- In addition: Two letters of recommendation
Application Deadline: Fellowship application deadline is May 2, 2017.