The Students Financial Aid Office (SFAO) is accepting 2018/19 applications for the award of the General Electric Company Scholarship for University of Ghana students from areas of need studying BA Computer Science or any of the APPLIED SCIENCES at University of Ghana.
GE a wholly-owned affiliate of General Electric Company has been engaged in infrastructure development in Ghana for several years, notably through the supply of technology, services and know-how, training initiatives, investment and supply chain development in the power, transportation and healthcare sectors
General Electric will provide a flat-rated scholarship support through the “the GE Scholarship”, for the benefit of certain University of Ghana under-graduate students in the areas of BA Computer Science and some BSc Applied Sciences. Scholarships are renewable annually provided they maintain a Grade Point Average of (GPA) 2.5 or better.
What you need to know about University of Ghana
The University of Ghana, the premier university and the largest university in Ghana was founded as the University College of the Gold Coast by Ordinance on August 11, 1948 for the purpose of providing and promoting university education, learning and research.
As a University poised to distinguish itself in the area of research to make an impact at the national and international level, the University has launched a new Strategic Plan.
This new strategic plan (2014-2024) is intended to consolidate the gains made from the review of the University’s mission and practices and situate these within the context of a very dynamic environment of higher education in Ghana and beyond.
What you need to know before applying to study in Ghana
Education is a prominent component of life in Ghana. The country is actively working to improve its literacy rate and strengthen its overall economy as a result. The adult literacy rate here is about 71 percent. Males are more likely to have an education than females. In terms of opportunities for higher education, the country has numerous choices for students.
There are 21 public training colleges in the country, most of which offer specialized education for students who need between one and three years of education. There are 18 technical institutions present and two institutions issuing diplomas. The country also is home to six universities as well as various private programs. The following is a list of the public universities available in the country:
- The University of Ghana
- University of Cape Coast
- University of Education
- University of Mines and Technology
- Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology
- University for Develop Studies
Of these, the oldest school in the country is the University of Ghana, which opened its doors in 1948. The focus of education throughout these schools is very diverse. Many students study business, social sciences, and medicine. However, there is also a strong demand for technology based education, the arts, and humanities. Perhaps the most well known school in the region is Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, which has become a top school in this portion of Africa.
The scholarship is hosted by General Electric Company in partnership with University of Ghana, legon, Ghana.
Scholarship is open to indigenous students from Ghana.
The Scholarship covers academic and residential fees, book allowance and out of pocket. In addition leadership training and limited Internship may be offered as long as an excellent academic standard of at least a 2.5 CGPA continues to be met and need is demonstrated.
The number of offers was not specified.
The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
You are eligible to apply if you:
- Are a Ghanaian.
- Are a Level 100 student.
- Obtained an aggregate of 15 or better at the WASSCE.
- Are able to demonstrate limited family income and/or insufficient funds to cover most or all educational related expenses.
- Have the will to succeed (determination, perseverance and success in other pursuits).
- Are reading BA Computer Science or Basic Applied Sciences in the following areas: BSc in Information Technology, Material Science and Engineering, Earth Science, Computer Engineering or Computer Science.
- Will maintain a 2.5 CGPA
- Are of a Good Conduct.
Download and submit a completed GE- FUND SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION FORM and the required essays, a copy of your academic records (WASSCE grades), letters of recommendation and supporting need documents.
You may be asked for additional information if corrections are needed or if any information/response on your application is not clear.
For enquiries call the Students Financial Aid Office on 020-518-6904/0302- 945-312 or email@example.com.
The Students Financial Aid Office is located at No. 11 East Legon – Main Campus behind the College of Agriculture and Consumer Sciences and opposite CEGENSA.
The following are Examples of documents that can be used to support this application:
• Official pay slip or payroll record of parents/guardians or the applicant.
• Recent school receipts/ bills of siblings of school going age.
• Tax return receipts– IRS, VAT, tabletop hawking receipts, etc.
• Birth Certificates (of siblings).
• Death Certificate or Burial permit (in case of death of a parent).
• Pension letter for retired parents/guardians.
• Bank Statements / Ghana Cocoa Board Farmers Association Passbook.
• SSNIT contribution statements.
• Money transfer receipts.
• National Health Insurance receipts (showing premium paid).
• Evidence of other dependents of parents/guardians.
• Any other supporting documents that you believe will assist in the processing, of your application.
• High School Transcripts (Terminal Reports)
• West African Senior School Certificate Exam Results (WASSCE)
• University Acceptance Letter
• Records regarding achievement tests, academic awards, honors, and substantive assessments by teachers, including letters of recommendation.
• Confirm That you are not currently receiving support through any other scholarship program
It is important that your eligibility for student financial aid be based upon accurate information. In doing so, together, we can ensure that the right students get financial support, and that the integrity of the University of Ghana Students Financial Aid programme is preserved
Currently, this scholarship is unavailable but we shall keep you posted on the new date
Applying for Student Visas
Students will need to obtain a visa to study here. The student visa requires students to already have an active passport and acceptance into a school. An application for office student visas must be sent along with an invitation letter to the embassy for the student to receive a visa. There are fees associated with obtaining the visa, but for most students the process is simple and straightforward.
You can begin the application and get more details by clicking the Scholarship Link
We recommend other scholarship opportunities.
Does this article meet your immediate needs? if yes, click the SHARE button to share with your friends. if no, leave a response on the comment box to express your concern or ask question and we will get back to you as soon as possible.