The Eye-BankYoung Ambassador Scholarship
The Eye-Bank is pleased to announce the establishment of its Young Ambassador Scholarship in Memory of Christopher Nordquist. The annual $1,000 award to an eligible student is made possible through private contributions given to The Eye-Bank in memory of Christopher, who was two when he died and left the gift of sight.
Through the years, his mother Andrea Nordquist has shared the story of their family’s loss and subsequent decision to donate Christopher’s corneas in hopes of increasing awareness of the good that eye donation can do. In this way, Christopher became one of The Eye-Bank’s first Young Ambassadors.
The Scholarship in his memory is intended to encourage young people to pursue learning and to help spread the message about the priceless gift almost anyone can leave after death – the gift of sight through eye donation.
$1000 scholarship award will be given to the winning candidate.
To apply, students must meet all of the following requirements:
- Reside within The Eye-Bank’s service area: New York City, Long Island, and the lower Hudson Valley (Westchester, Rockland, Putnam and Orange Counties).
- Be a student under 25 years of age who will be, or is presently enrolled, in a 2 or 4-year college, university, trade or technical school for the current academic year at the time of application deadline.
- Complete the Scholarship Application and return it by May 15.
- Use the scholarship award for continuing education at an accredited university, college, trade or technical school certificate program.
- Write a short essay, 1-2 type written pages, doubled-spaced, describing an educational or public service initiative in which the student participated that promoted eye, organ and tissue donation such as distributing brochures or speaking to a class or club (eye information must be included).
- Applicants may contact The Eye-Bank in advance for project ideas and free materials.
- Provide two references from current school and a counselor’s report.
- Provide a current official transcript and/or acceptance letter from the college, university or trade/technical school the applicant plans to attend.
Please submit the completed application and related materials post-marked by May 15 to:
Mrs. Andrea Nordquist
The Eye-Bank for Sight Restoration
120 Wall Street, New York, NY 10005
Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.