SEARCH FOR ANY SCHOLARSHIP HERE
Applications are now been submitted for the Switzerland CERN openlab Summer Students Programme 2018, eligible scholars are by this notice invited to apply.
Are you a B.Sc. or M.Sc. student (who will have completed at least three years of full-time studies at university level by next spring) in Computer Science or Mathematics, Engineering or Physics with a strong computing profile? Would you be interested in working on an advanced IT project for two full months during the summer? If so, you should apply to the CERN openlab Summer Student Programme!
• Data Acquisition
• Computing Platforms
• Data Storage Architectures
• Compute Provisioning and Management
• Networks and Communication
• Data Analytics
- You must be a Bachelor or Master student in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering or Physics (with a strong computing profile)
- You have completed, by summer 2018, at least three years of full-time studies at university level
- You will remain registered as a student during your stay at CERN. If you expect to graduate during summer 2018, you are also eligible to apply
- You have not worked at CERN before with any other status (Technical Student, Trainee, User…) for more than 3 months.
A good knowledge of English is mandatory; knowledge of French would be an advantage
- An allowance of 90 CHF per day during your contractual dates
- Travel allowance (on a lump sum basis)
- Assistance to find accommodation on the CERN site or nearby
- Health insurance scheme during your stay
- 9 weeks of stay – 40h/week
The application must be submitted by 19 February 2018 and the following documents should be attached to it:
- CV (English or French)
- Proof of enrolment at a university for the current year
- Report on Candidate: Once your application has been submitted, you will receive a confirmation e-mail which contains a link to the CERN “Report on candidate” form. You must forward this link to at least one referee (preferably a professor).
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The students are welcome to upload other relevant document(s) (e.g. academic records).
Possible dates of stay are:
- 18 June to 17 August 2018
- 25 June to 24 August 2018
- 02 July to 31 August 2018
A stipend of 90 CHF per day during contractual dates (generally 61 days) is sponsored by CERN and the CERN openlab industrial members and should cover accommodation and living costs during the nine-week stay. Students are covered by the CERN health and accident insurance scheme, and are offered a travel allowance on a lump sum basis.
Several projects and groups at CERN will host CERN openlab Summer Students. Examples of projects that students undertook in the past years include:
• Porting a Java-based Brain Simulation Software to C++
• Performance study of detector alignment software
• Evaluating the performance of Seagate Kinetic technology and its integration with EOS
• Upgrading the Huawei Cloud Storage Benchmark to make it compatible with ROOT6
• Archiving OpenStack cloud volumes
• Processing of the WLCG job monitoring data using ElasticSearch
How to apply?
- The application must be submitted to www.cern.ch/jobs/join-us/cern-openlab-student-programme (link is external) by 19 February 2018 with the following documents attached to it: the applicant’s CV, recommendation letter(s) by university supervisor(s), a motivation letter with an indication of the preferred area of work, and the university declaration for the current year. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Replies to applicants will be sent out by the end of April 2018.
Application Deadline: February 19th 2018
For More Information: