Study South Africa: University of Cape Town Ranking, Tuition fees, and Admission Requirements
The University of Cape Town (UCT) is South Africa’s oldest university and leading institution of learning in cape town in the western cape province of South Africa. UTC in 1829 officially kicked off for its first academic session and then developed into a fully fledged university between 1880 and 1900. Tourists to cape town traveling along the M3 road cannot but notice the enviable sight of the ivy-clad walls of the University of Cape Town (UCT) on the hills as they travel through to the south peninsula.
According to the QS world university rankings, UCT is the highest-ranked African university. It achieved a rank of 156 in the 2011 QS world university rankings, making it the only African university in the top 200. The university also prides itself on having about 60 research units and 35 A-rated researchers, a rating awarded by the national research foundation in recognition of them being leading international scholars in their fields.
- UCT offers undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes across its six faculties: Commerce, Engineering and built environment, Law, Health Sciences, Humanities and science, Extramural studies.
- The University of Cape town offers a range of courses in their undergraduate and post-graduate schools including a center for extramural studies which offers opportunities for on-going adult learning to the public.
- A range of undergraduate diplomas and certificate and postgraduate diplomas are also available.
NOTE: Our Scholarship Award Winning Ebook (worth $50) is up for grab, if you’re reading this article, you stand a chance to win one of our Scholarship Ebook. Read through for eligibility on how to get our scholarship ebook for free.
World Scholarship Forum popular searched Scholarships 2019
- 2019/2020 Fully Funded Scholarships
- ICCR Scholarships 2019-2020
- Full Commonwealth Scholarships 2019-2020
- Erasmus Mundus Scholarships for All Countries 2019-2020
- Scholarships For Developing Countries 2019-2020
- DAAD SCHOLARSHIPS FOR ALL STUDENTS 2019-2020
- List of Top 10 Mechanical Engineering Colleges in the World 2019
Don’t miss any of these Scholarship opportunities. You can open any of these opportunities on a new tab.
Undergraduate diploma study
The minimum need for admission to undergraduate diploma study is a national senior certificate (NSC) as certified by umalusi with an achievement rating of 3 (moderate achievement, 40-49%) or better in four recognized NSC 20-credit subjects.
Bachelor’s degree study
To be eligible for admission to degree study, applicants need to meet minimum requirements for eligibility:
- Applicants holding a South African national senior certificate need to pass a minimum of four subjects at a rating of 4 (adequate achievement, 50-59%) or better from a designated list of subjects relevant to their respective degree of study.
- Applicants holding a South African senior certificate need matriculation endorsement
- International applicants willing to enroll for any degree course must qualify for a matriculation exemption from the South African matriculation board.
- For international applicants, all credentials will be subject to reviews by the admissions committee of intended departments to check the standards according to the Ontario educational system.
International students should have:
- a residency permit and a study permit
- Medical aid cover
- Valid international passport
- Transcripts of their results
- A certificate showing fluency in English language.
- They must also meet UCT’s language requirements, as well as certain minimum faculty entry requirements.
- The language of instruction and examination at UCT is English. International applicants who are non-native speakers of English have to pass specific language tests.
Minimum subject requirements for each faculty:
- Commerce – satisfactory pass in mathematics in the final year of schooling.
- Engineering and the built environment – satisfactory pass in mathematics in the final year of schooling. Applicants for engineering and geomatics also need a satisfactory pass in chemistry and/or physics. Applicants for architectural studies must submit a portfolio of creative work.
- Health sciences – satisfactory pass in mathematics and chemistry and/or physics
- Humanities and law – satisfactory passes in English. A pass in mathematics is recommended for law.
- Science – satisfactory passes in mathematics and a natural science subject (chemistry, physical science or biology). If students have not completed physics as part of their school-leaving examinations, they might not be eligible for certain study options in science.
Entry requirements for Postgraduates degree programme
The criteria for admission to postgraduate diplomas and honors, masters and doctoral degrees vary from one programme to another. Prospective applicants are advised to consult the faculty concerned directly to determine the requirements for admission.
MINIMUM LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY
- All applicants must have attained a certain level of proficiency in English and are required to submit evidence of this, as outlined below as part of their application to study.
- South African senior certificate undergraduate applicants to UCT must have achieved a pass of 40% or more on the higher grade in English (first or second language) at senior certificate level.
Language requirements for international applicants
UCT language policy in accordance with applicants holding non-south African school-leaving certificates must have
A pass in the English language at A-level, IGCSE, GCSE or O-level, international baccalaureate or a level equal to any of those listed here.
A recent overall band score of 7.0 on the international English language testing system(IELTS), with no individual element of the test scoring below 6.0
The general fees quoted for the courses/degree you are doing are being quoted yearly. UCT raises its student fees every year and publishes a new student fees handbook to communicate what the new fees will be for the year.
In the student handbook, the fees quoted for your degree are for South African citizens and permanent residents. As an international student, you will pay more than the prescribed annual fee, usually multiplied by a set factor.
The appropriate fees reflected below should accompany all applications:
|Undergraduate and post-graduate applications from South Africa and the SADC region||R100|
|Undergraduate and post-graduate applications from outside the SADC region||R300|
|GSB applications from South Africa and African citizens/residents||R1250|
|GSB applications from outside of Africa||US$250|
- Application fees are not refundable.
- Paying an application fee does not mean that your application will be successful.
- The application fee may be paid by cheque, postal order, electronic funds transfer (EFT) or credit card.
- Cash payments may be made only at the cashier’s office, Kramer building, cross-campus road, middle campus UCT, Rondebosch.
For an academic year, undergraduates will pay between $2500 – $4500 while postgraduates will pay between $2700-$3000 for their programs.
Students at UCT pay tuition fees for every course taken. These tuition fees vary from course to course and cover:
- All charges for classes, tutorials, and laboratories
- University examinations
- Library access
- Compulsory personal accident insurance
- The use of general sporting facilities
- In the case of medical students, hospital fees for clinical instruction
Estimate of fees
External bursars often request an estimate of student fees before awarding the bursary. This can be obtained from:
COST OF LIVING IN SOUTH AFRICA
Cost of living is not too high. With about $400 feeding, accommodation, travel, and others can be covered monthly
Contact us today if you need assistance in any way to study in this prestigious institution of learning.
WE ALSO RECOMMEND
- Clara Lionel Foundation Global Scholarship Program 2019-2020
- Knights of Columbus Scholarships 2019-2020
- Scholarships: mbbs in usa for International Students 2019-2020
- Texas Exes Scholarship 2019-2020
- AKA Scholarships for High School Seniors 2019-2020
- NCSF Scholarships Application For Students
- Alaska Performance Scholarship 2019-2020
- YMCA Scholarships 2019-2020
- George Snow Scholarship 2019-2020
Thinking of studying in South Africa? University of Cape Town is a prefect choice. Check out the University of Cape Town Ranking, Tuition and Admission.