In the quest to pursue your academic and career dreams, obtaining an MBA degree abroad, is a good way to go.
The choice to study in China to most if not all resonate with the desire to study in an effective, conducive, and affordable environment with advanced learning technology and rich cultural heritage.
In this article put together by World Scholarship Forum, we have compiled the top schools and universities in China where you can pursue a master’s degree in business administration.
China is one of the interesting locations for an MBA degree owing to its technological advancement in business, innovations, and education which makes it a desirable study destination for international students seeking to do their MBA programs.
So, in this piece of writing you’ll find the top 5 Universities for Masters in Business Administration programs in China, study requirements, and cost of the program among others. But before we get there, let’s give you a bit intro into what the nation of China is like.
- About China
- MBA in China
- CEIBS – China Europe International Business School
- Requirements for CEIBS
- Tuition fee
- CEIBS Scholarships
- Peking University – Guanghua School of Management
- Fudan University – School Of Management
- Tsinghua University – School of Economics and Management
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University Antai College of Economics & Management
- Cost of living in China
- Getting a Chinese study visa
- We Also Recommend
The nation of China is an Asian Nation that resides in Eastern Asia and it shares borders with neighboring countries like India, Russia, North Korea, Bhutan, Vietnam, Laos, Mongolia, and Pakistan. It is a country with speedy advancement in terms of business, industrialization, education, and technology.
It is a study destination for a lot of students from all over the world because of its cheap and relatively affordable high and effective standard of education. China ranks among the top 10 nations with technological advancement, thus an average student studying in China has the privilege of studying with the latest technology which makes education easier and enjoyable.
MBA in China
China as a nation has a short history of the MBA program even though it could be traced back to the late nineteenth century. In the restructuring of tertiary education in China, certain management education programs started springing up with the advent of undergraduate, masters, and PhD MBA programs. As of 1991, there were over 9 MBA programs in the country; in 2018, China has over 238 MBA programs in the different public and private business schools.
Going through undergraduate studies in management and business in China, the student will learn basic knowledge in business and management such as management principles, economics, business law, accounting, etc. Students also focus on specialized fields such as international trade, finance, and marketing.
MBA programs in China often focus on specialized fields such as management information systems, marketing strategy, human recourses, innovation, etc. MBA students carry out research projects under the instruction of their supervisors.
So many persons have different reasons why they choose to study an MBA in China; which includes salary, career prospects and networking.
Networking itself is a strong reason why international students choose China as an MBA study destination as the program basically trains both Chinese and international prospective managers for top leadership positions in China.
International students can choose to study in Chinese or English taught MBA programs in China depends on their Chinese and English proficiency. In most programs, students learn courses from both Chinese and foreign professors. MBA in China expects applicants to have at least 3 years of working experience and a bachelor’s degree or above.
Top 5 MBA Universities In China
Here is the list of top 5 MBA Universities in China
- China Europe International Business School
- Peking University – Guanghua School of Management
- Fudan University – School Of Management
- Tsinghua University – School of Economics and Management
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University Antai College of Economics & Management
#1 CEIBS – China Europe International Business School
Since 1994, the China Europe International Business School (CEIBS) has existed as one of the top businesses in the world. It resides in Shanghai, China. The School is a product of the partnership memorandum between the Chinese government and the European Commission and is the first business school in mainland China to admit students into a full-time MBA, executive MBA, and a variety of business education programs.
All her programs in full time and executive MBA ranks in the top 30 in the world according to Financial Times. Its EMBA courses are the largest in the world, having over 700 students in Shanghai, Beijing, and Shenzhen. The school also trains about 10,000 students through CEIBS’ short-term executive programs each year.
In 2012, CEIBS began offering a part-time MBA in Finance. By the end of December 2017, CEIBS had more than 20,000 alumni across the world and had provided management training for over 130,000 executives.
Even though the school is geographically located in China, it utilizes the European model of business school; its main campus is in Pudong district, Shanghai and has other campuses in Shenzhen, Zurich, Beijing, and Accra, Ghana.
To know more about CEIBS, check the school’s website.
Requirements for CEIBS
Applying for studentship programs in CEIBS requires the following documents;
- A bachelor’s degree or its equivalent.
- A minimum of two full years of work experience
- A valid GMAT and GRE or CEIBS admissions test certificate
- A certificate of proficiency and a strong command of both written and spoken in English
- Two letters of recommendation
- Application fee
- Completed application including two essay questions
- A highly committed organization that will allow you to work for two days off each month while attending classes; financial sponsorship not obligatory.
The tuition fee in CEIBS for the 18-MBA program costs RMB408, 000. This includes the cost of textbooks, access to the school’s database for MBA students and internet resources.
Below are some CEIBS Scholarships you can apply for.
DDI-Shanghai Town & Country Scholarship
DDI-Shanghai Town & Country Scholarship is a scholarship in CEIBS which offers RMB 150,000 to new MBA students. The offer is for just two students per intake each academic year. The application process will begin in March of 2020. Candidates who get into Round 1 or submit MBA applications in Round 2 will be provided the scholarship details in March. They announce the final result no later than Apr. 30, 2020.
Greenwoods Scholarship is sponsored by Greenwoods Asset Management whose board chairman and managing partner are all CEIBS alumni. The opportunity is to offer a full-tuition payment for newly admitted MBA students.
Infineum Scholarship which commenced in 2016 is to offer financial aid of RMB 200, 000 to fresh MBA students and the offer is for one student per intake each year for the next five years. Its selection process is based on both merit and financial need. Infineum (Shanghai) Additives Co. Ltd. Infineum’s President Mr. Fu Limin is CEIBS EMBA 2003 Alumnus proudly funds this scholarship.
The Omnicom Scholarship is sponsored by Omnicom Group and it seeks to offer financial support of about USD 20,000 of the tuition fees of a freshly admitted MBA student and it is available for one student per intake each academic year. The scholarship selection will be based on performance on written essays.
Prosperity Fund Scholarship
Commencing in 2017, the Prosperity Fund Scholarship is made available by Shanghai Prosperity Holdings. It exists to assist two new MBA students with RMB15, 000 worth of aid.
New Oriental Scholarship
Initiated by CEIBS and New Oriental, the New Oriental Scholarshipseeks to support applicants who have attended GMAT or GRE training through the New Oriental Centre. The scholarship will finance RMB 40,000 for two first-year MBA students.
Shanghai Municipal Government Scholarship
The Shanghai Municipal Government Scholarships are government scholarship which aims at encouraging international students to study in China.
Liu Ji Education Fund
The Liu Ji Education Fund awards one half-tuition scholarships each year to support students from mainland China. The fund was established in 2006 by Prof. Liu Ji, Honorary President of CEIBS.
Wu Jinglian Education Fund
The Wu Jinglian Education Fund is a financial support system for three students from mainland China with a demonstrated financial need and it offers up to RMB 100,000 scholarships each year. The fund was initiated in honor of Prof. Wu Jinglian, Baosteel Chair Professor of Economics at CEIBS and senior research fellow at Development Research Centre of the State Council of P.R.C.
Zhou Zongming Scholarship
Zhou Zongming Scholarship is an opportunity made available by Zhou Zongming, a CEIBS EMBA2003 alumnus. This award seeks to support new MBA students with RMB 100,000 and it is for one student per intake each year for the next ten years. This scholarship is open to all new students, preference is given to young students with leadership potential and who are fluent in Mandarin.
#2 Peking University – Guanghua School of Management
Established in 1985, the Guanghua School of Management has been existing as the Business School of Peking University in Beijing, China. Its international MBA program is a full-time, MBA program that is in English for the high prospective professional who desires to become global business leaders.
The school also parades a number of full-time and part-time MBA programs that are in Chinese. Such a program makes available a holist general management education that has an emphasis on the reality of conducting business in China.
It ranks top as the Most Influential MBA of China and in the Asia Pacific region in a ranking conducted by the World Executive and is renowned as one of best business schools in China and greatly recognized for its consistency in effective academic teaching, faculty research, and high admission selectivity.
The business school offers a high-quality program at undergraduate, master’s and doctoral programs; it also runs an EMBA and MPAcc program as well as several other non-degree, customized Executive Education Programs. It has a total student enrolment of about 3, 000.
The school has about 100 full-time teaching faculty members. Some universities represented by recently recruited faculty members are Harvard, Oxford, Yale, University of California, Berkeley, Stanford, Carnegie Mellon, Brown, and Purdue.
To know more about Guanghua School of Management, check the school’s website
Requirements for Guanghua School of Management
Prospective applicant(s) in Guanghua School of Management is to have the following requirements;
- Must be non-Chinese citizenship.
- Must hold a bachelor’s degree or above.
- Have relevant work experience.
- Have competitive GMAT or GRE scores.
The tuition fee in Guanghua School of Management varies according to the different courses and levels of programs. However, the international full-time MBA program cost RMB 188, 000 for the entire program, while the part-time MBA program is about RMB 328, 000 for the whole program.
Peking University – Guanghua School of Management Scholarships
Guanghua Excellence Scholarships
The scholarship provides the students with a financial aid of up to 188,000 RMB for a tuition waiver.
Beijing Municipal Government Scholarships
The Beijing Municipal Government Scholarships are government scholarship which aims at encouraging international students to study in China.
One Belt One Road Scholarships
This merit-based scholarship opportunity is available for students from One Belt One Road countries in support of China’s Belt and Road policy. All successful applicants of the One Belt One Road Scholarship will receive a full or half scholarship. The scholarship covers either the full tuition fee (188,000RMB/person) or half tuition fee (100,000RMB/person), as well as provides accommodation subsidy (4,000RMB/person/month) and living allowance (3,000RMB/person/month).
Guanghua School of Management MBA commits to promoting humanitarian values and this scholarship avails the applicant the opportunity to benefit from the entrance scholarship and access up to 50,000-100,000 RMB waivers. Such applicants could include;
Students in financial need, female students, member of a minority group or a citizen of a developing or underdeveloped country
#3 Fudan University – School Of Management
Fudan University-School of Management is the business College of Fudan University which was established as far back as 1905. The Business discipline was created in 1917 and the school of Business was started in 1929. It is the institution of higher learning in China to establish a business education department. It has over the years, has increased to become one of the top-notch educational institutions in China and has received the first prize for R&D Progress and for excellent Education Accomplishments.
At Fudan University, its MBA program is one of the well-established, effective, influential and distinguished MBA program in the nation of China. The school has since its inception, trained business leaders active on the domestic and international platforms.
In over 20 years, the exceptional accomplishments of Fudan MBA have been widely recognized and have made it been highly sought after by MBA applicants. Over the years, the MBA Program at Fudan University ranks as one of the leading programs in China by relevant institutions and media.
To know more about Fudan University – School of Management, check the school’s website.
Requirements for Fudan University – School Of Management
Intending students at Fudan University – School Of Management are to have the following requirements;
- University degree from a recognized university
- Professional or full-time work experience of no less than 2 years
- An acceptable GMAT/GRE score or other equivalent graduate school entrance examination scores within the period of validity (International applicants)
- A score of GRK which meets the minimum requirement of Fudan (Chinese applicants)
- A score of special GRK which meets the minimum requirement of Fudan(Macau, Taiwan & Hong Kong applicants)
The tuition fee for the school ranges around 269,800 CNY and for international MBA is $34,100, which covers the cost of tuition, textbooks, action learning projects, seminars, and dissertations.
Fudan University – School Of Management Scholarships
Fudan IMBA GMAT Scholarship
The scholarship is for applicants with outstanding achievements in their GMAT examination. Students who have a score of 650 and above are qualified for the scholarship which offers a financial aid ranging from 30% to 100% tuition fee.
Fudan IMBA Duel Degree Scholarship
IMBA students can choose to apply for the duel degree among three programs (MIT, Yale or Schulich). If admitted, the tuition fee of the second academic year in the Fudan IMBA Program will be waived accordingly.
Fudan IMBA Entry Scholarships for International Students
This opportunity is especially for international students and its offered based on the student’s academic and professional achievements, personal achievement, performance at screening and their potential contributions. Admitted candidates will be automatically considered for this scholarship and there is no need for a separate application.
The School’s partner corporations sponsor these scholarships. It is an offer the accords to its beneficiaries the prize that covers 100% of the tuition fee.
#3 Tsinghua University – School of Economics and Management
Tsinghua University School of Economics and Management is the business School of Tsinghua University, located in Beijing, China. The history of the institution dates back to 1926 when Tsinghua University started its faculty of economics.
The school offers undergraduate, master’s, doctoral, and many executive education programs, with a total enrolment of more than 3,000 students. The School consistently ranks among the best business schools in China.
It was the first mainland Chinese institution to have achieved AACSB and EQUIS accreditations for its business and accounting programs.
The MIT Global MBA at Tsinghua is a full two-year MBA program which is a partnership between Tsinghua University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) since 1997 when the International MBA (IMBA) was established.
Tsinghua SEM is strong in innovation and entrepreneurship education.
To know more about Tsinghua University School of Economics and Management, check the school’s website.
Tsinghua University – School of Economics Requirements
- Undergraduate degree from a recognized university
- Competitive GMAT/GRE score or Tsinghua MBA Alternative Entrance Exam score;
- Completed Tsinghua MBA online application and submission of required supporting materials.
- Completed Tsinghua MBA Application Form
- Scanned undergraduate degree certificate
- Scanned undergraduate transcript
- Two recommendation letters submitted by the referees
- Current resume (1 page)
- Scanned passport page with personal information
The tuition fee for Tsinghua University – School of Economics and Management varies according to the different programs.
For whole Tsinghua-MIT Global MBA Program: 198,000 RMB
For Tsinghua Part-Time MBA Program: 308,000 RMB
Also, for Dual Degree Programs of Tsinghua MBA + MIT Master of Science in Management Studies (MSMS): 99,000 RMB (First year) and $65,000(MIT second year)
Tsinghua University – School of Economics Scholarships
MBA Program Scholarships
The scholarship provides the students with the support of up to 198,000 RMB for tuition waivers.
Beijing Municipal Government Scholarships
The Beijing Municipal Government Scholarships are government scholarships of RMB 10, 000-20,000 Waiver, which aims at encouraging international students to study in China.
Chinese Government Scholarship
These are government-sponsored scholarships to support her local and foreign students financially with up to 66,600 RMB tuition waiver + free on-campus accommodation + monthly stipend for the entire program.
#5 Shanghai Jiao Tong University Antai College of Economics & Management
Since 1928, the Antai College of Economics and Management (ACEM) has been the business school arm of Shanghai Jiao Tong University in Shanghai, China. It is regarded as an offshoot of the Business School of Nan Yang Public School which dates back to 1903.
Its existence has been a significant factor in educating young potential economic and management talents with a level of global competencies as well as promoting scientific and academic innovation, catering for economic and social development, and supporting the growth of business in China.
ACEM offers both undergraduate and postgraduate programs, including a large full-time MBA program, and many executive education programs. It is rated as the highest-ranking business school in China and one of the top 5 business colleges in the Asia Pacific region.
To know more about Antai College of Economics and Management Fudan, check the school’s website.
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent from an accredited college or university.
- At least 2 years’ work experience before formal registration.
- Official diploma (or notarized certificate) of the highest degree. Certificates not in Chinese or English must be accompanied by certified translations.
- Official university transcript
- Personal Statement and study plan
- Two reference letters from the applicant’s previous professors or managers
- Documents of English or Chinese language proficiency (if asked after the interview)
- GMAT/GRE report (if asked after the interview)
- Proof of remittance of application fee (RMB 800 or USD 130)
- Copy of passport
- A passport photo
The school also need the students to be
- Healthy both physically and mentally
- Outstanding academic performance and potential
The tuition fee for the 2020 IMBA program (2 years) is 308,000 RMB and could be paid in two annual installments.
The tuition fee for the 2020 Chinese part-time MBA program (2.5 years) is 408,000 RMB and could be paid in three annual installments.
This is a school-sponsored scholarship based on the performance of the applicant during the interview exercise. The process is as follows;
- Applicant ranked 1st in interviews would be awarded a scholarship of 50% of the full program fee.
- Applicants ranked 2nd – 4th in interviews would be awarded a scholarship of 25% of the full program fee.
- Applicants ranked 5th – 13th in interviews would be awarded a scholarship of 20,000RMB
This offer is meant for students of the international MBA program with high GMAT scores. The merit is for those who scored 730 or higher will get an offer of 50% of the full program fee. While those who scored 680 or higher are awarded 25% of the full program fee. Scores of 630 or higher are awarded a scholarship of 20,000 RMB.
This scholarship is for the brightest students based on academic performance and participation. It offers full, half, and partial scholarships to almost 20% of MBA students.
This opportunity is to financially support MBA and International MBA students if they pass CFA, which is equal to the amount of the examination fee for that level.
MBA Scholarships in China
SEE ALSO: China Chevening Scholarships 2020/2021
What Is The Cost of living in China?
Living in China can be quite expensive depending on the city you find yourself in. Such cities like Beijing and Shanghai are one of the most expensive cities to live in as an international student.
- To live in Beijing, you will require a costly expense of between $1,000 and $1,200/.
- To live in Shanghai and Shenzhen, you will need between $850 and $1,200/month to cover your expenses.
- In all the other Chinese cities, you could fairly manage with just $600 – $1,000 /month. This will include accommodation expenses if you wish to say in a residence hall.
While Shanghai and Beijing are reputed to be one of the most costly cities to reside in China and the world at large, you can, however, find most of the other metropolitan cities like Tianjin, Jiangsu or Sichuan, quite affordable to live in. Such cities have a lot of affordable housing system.
The most common housing options in China are:
- Student residence halls – prices range between 150 and 400 USD/month.
- Renting a flat – the average rate is between 300 and 1,000 USD/month for a one-bedroom apartment (depending on the city, the location of the apartment and the included facilities).
- Homestay – between 350 and 550 USD/month.
- Hostel – usually chosen by international students as a temporary option; rates start at 18 USD/night for a private room.
- Living with a roommate whether in a student residence or in an apartment is the most common option among international students to save money.
All accommodation (mainly student residences and apartments) require a security deposit: 300 to 460 USD.
Utility bills: around 50 USD/month on water, gas, and electricity.
Transportation in China is quite affordable as there are many options to take when one wants to move around the city. China has a good and powerful public transportation system with affordable taxi rides, metro, trains, etc.
Here is a general list of prices for public transportation:
- Metro ride: 0.5 USD
- Taxi rate per km: 0.33 USD
- A 20-min taxi ride across town: 4 USD
- City bus: 0.3 USD
- A student pass for public transportation costs around 15 USD/month.
Other additional expenses you will need to consider as an international student desiring to move to China includes;
- Books and course materials: 30 – 50 USD/semester; you could pay more if you study sciences, medicine or art.
- Medical insurance: around 60 USD for six months.
How Can I Get a Chinese study visa?
While preparing to study to China, one of the factors worthy of note is a student study visa which also known as the X visa which is the official travel document issued to foreigners who come to China for study, advance studies or field research work. The Visa is divided into two;
- X1 visa: For long-term study > 180 days
- X2 visa: For short-term study ≤ 180 days
The process of obtaining a study visa for China, the applicant must;
- Be sure that he/she has applied and received an admission offer from any Chinese University or Business school
- Must have proof of the financial capacity in the form of an official bank statement that depicts that the students have sufficient finances to support his stay while studying in China.
- Visit the Chinese embassy in his home country
- Apply for a study visa using a valid international passport document
- Provide all the required documents for the processing of the visa
Required documents include;
- Passport: Applicant’s original passport valid up to at least six months with at least one blank page.
- Application Form: One accurately and truthfully completed China Student Visa Application Form.
- Recent Photo: Affix one recent passport-style color photo with a full face, front view, no hat, and against a plain light background onto the application form.
- Admission Notice: Original and a copy of Admission Notice from the Chinese university or school.
- JW201 or JW202 Form – for X1 application only: Original and a copy of approved Foreign Student Visa Application Form JW201 or JW202.
The normal processing time for an X visa is 4 working days; however, express and rush service are available for those who wish to obtain it earlier than the normal time.
- Express Service: 2-3 working days processing; extra US$ 20 will be charged.
- Rush Service: 1 working day processing; extra US$ 30 will be charged
The JW201 or JW202 form should be obtained through the school you are to enroll. JW201 form is issued to international students dispatched by the government or funded by Chinese government scholarships while JW202 is for self-sponsored foreign students.
We Also Recommend
- Boustany Foundation Fully Funded MBA Scholarship At Cambridge University
- The Skoll MBA Scholarship at the University of Oxford, UK
- Top 8 Universities New Zealand for International Students.
- School of Management Scholarships For Graduates in the USA
- Lagos Business School: Ranking, Fees, Scholarships & Admission Requirements.
- Yanshan University Scholarships for International Students in China
- Bachelor of International Development Scholarship at Humber Business School, Canada
Does this article meet your immediate needs? If yes, click the SHARE button to share with your friends. If no, leave a response on the comment box to express your concern or ask a question and we will get back to you as soon as possible.