Study in Canada: Timeline for September 2018 intake
If you have plans to go to Canada for either undergraduate or postgraduate studies, the first thing you need is an action plan. Here is an application timeline to give you an idea about what to do in which month.
1. First steps: April 2017 to September 2017
- Start early and by August, shortlist 8-12 universities that you will apply to. Visit university websites and note application requirements, deadlines etc.
- By September, be familiar with bank loan options and scholarships to fund your studies.
- Begin by downloading admissions brochures from the university websites. Most brochures are out more than a year earlier.
- Do some initial research on various accommodation options.
2. Crack the exams: June 2017 to December 2017
- Prepare for required standardised tests like GMAT, GRE, SAT, TOEFL or IELTS – depending on the course and university.
- By June-July or three months before the test date, register for GMAT/ GRE.
- Register for TOEFL/IELTS at least a month before the test date.
- Take the required tests around September. Plan for buffer time in case you need to retake the test.
3. It’s application time: August 2017 to October 2017
- Shortlist the colleges and prepare for your application. Think hard about what makes you unique as an applicant and sketch out your strengths and self assessment.
- Contact your professors and direct managers for the required 2-3 reference letters. At least a month before your application deadline.
- Begin drafting your SOP and essays. Give a month’s time to structure these documents properly.
- Apply before the deadline!
4. What next: November 2017 to April 2018
- Don’t delay replying to college e-mails. And there will be quite a few!
- Appear for personal/video interviews. These are scheduled around January to March.
- Once you get acceptance letters, make your decision as soon as possible.
- Depending on the deadline, notify the universities of your decision.
- You will need to pay a non-refundable deposit to confirm your admission.
5. Visa and money matters: May 2018 to July 2018
- Search for and begin applying for external scholarships (if applicable).
- Apply for student loan, after you get your acceptance letter.
- Gather paperwork for your student visa. Check visa requirements.
- Apply for student visa in time. Keep in mind the time taken for visa processing!
6. Get ready to fly: July 2018 to August 2018
- Book airline tickets.
- Arrange for an Internation Debit/Credit card.
- Collect all the documents and their photocopies, to take along.
- Check out Pre-departure checklist!