The Commonwealth Youth Ministers’ Meeting is held every four years in a designated Commonwealth member state in order to share, celebrate and assess development and progress in youth development practice. The 9th Commonwealth Youth Ministers Meeting (9CYMM) will be held in Kampala, Uganda from 2nd – 4th August 2017. The Stakeholder Forum will be held immediately before this from Monday 31st July – Tuesday 1st August 2017. This year’s theme is Resourcing and Financing Youth Development: Empowering Young People.
The Forum is intended to be a space for dialogue and resolutions by non-governmental stakeholders in youth development, in order to propose recommendations to the main ministerial meeting on the key themes. Selected accredited stakeholders are also observers on the 2nd day of the Ministerial meeting.
- Youth ministers from the 52 Commonwealth member states, senior Youth Ministry/Youth Department officials from member states, youth leaders and invited Stakeholder Forum participants will attend the main CYMM.
What are the objectives of CYMM?
The objectives of the 9CYMM are to;
- assess member state good practice in youth development,
- share, celebrate and adopt good practice,
- enable ministers to contribute to the global youth agenda,
- collaborate with stakeholders, and inspire and enable inter-ministerial cooperation on youth development, empowerment and participation across the Commonwealth.
The 9CYMM Theme: Resourcing and Financing Youth Development: Empowering Young People
The theme for the 9CYMM is Resourcing and Financing Youth Development: Empowering Young People. The theme was selected for the urgency of turning the tide for investment in youth development in order to benefit young people’s productivity, wellbeing, self-empowerment, full employment, quality education, good health and an overall life quality; and, in turn, benefit national development.
The Stakeholder Forum
Who will be involved?
The Stakeholder Forum will bring together a diverse range of credible and respected international and regional stakeholders in youth development and resourcing/financing.
Stakeholders will include representatives from the youth sector and all other sectors delivering for and working with young people, including but not limited to:
- Civil society organisations including youth-led organisations
- United Nations bodies
- Youth workers’ associations
- Bi-lateral and multi-lateral development partners
- Human rights and social development coalitions and networks including youth-led networks
- The private sector
- Universities and research institutions
The stakeholder forum will be convened in Uganda by the Uganda Parliamentary Forum for Youth Affairs (UPFYA). The other key stakeholders of the steering committee are Commonwealth
- Stakeholder forum participants are expected to self-fund attendance for the meeting unless otherwise notified. The initial statement of interest for attendance should be lodged at the yourcommonwealth.org website at http://www.yourcommonwealth.org/apply-to-be-part-of- the-stakeholder-forum-at-the-9th-commonwealth-youth-ministers-meeting/, including provision of the required information no later than 10th June 2017. A formal invitation letter will be sent to all participants by 20th June whose attendance applications are accepted. Individuals who are expected to stay beyond the forum will be notified individually of this decision.
- Costs for participants will include visa where relevant, return flight to Kampala Uganda, accommodation, including food outside meeting times. The required arrival date will be Sunday 30th July and the departure date will be Wednesday 2nd August unless otherwise communicated in your formal invitation letter. Accommodation options will be notified along with the invitation letter.
- If you have questions, please contact Dharshini Seneviratne, Programme Manager, Youth Division (email firstname.lastname@example.org), or Tiffany Daniels, Assistant Programme Officer, Youth Division (email email@example.com).
Selected accredited stakeholders are also observers on the 2nd day of the Ministerial meeting.
To apply to attend please complete the following form in full. Final date for applications will be 10th June, 2017 and successful applicants will be informed by 20th June, 2017.
Monday 31st July – Tuesday 1st August 2017
For More Information: