To study in Australia you’ll need to apply for admission to an institution and also for a student visa from the Australian Government.
There are obviously a number of steps you must go through which includes:
- Deciding on your course and institution.
- Submitting your application to the institution of your choice.
- Receiving and accepting a Letter of admission or offer.
- Receiving your electronic Confirmation of Enrolment maybe through the mailbox or other means.
- Applying for your visa, a student visa is better.
There is a sequential number of entry requirements that you will need to meet both for your institution application and your visa application.
This can include:
- Academic requirements.
- English language requirements.
- Evidence of funds to support your study, or a scholarship.
- Overseas student health cover fund, If you’re living or working in Australia already, you may still be able to apply to study here as an international student.
Appointed Education Agents
Education agents in your home country can also render their help to you with applying to study in Australia.
It is a prerequisite under the ESOS Act, that all institutions maintain a list of their approved agents and for that list to be published on their website.
With all these conditions, and requirements listed above, it would be in your best interest to take note of them.
And the encouragement we have for you is that through this article, you will discover some opportunities that’ll take care of all your worry about the financial aspect of your study as an international student from South Africa.
This article will walk you through the top 15 scholarships in Australia for international students from South Africa to snap.
- ANU College of Business & Economics International Partnership Scholarship in Australia, 2020
Deadline: March 22, yearly
The Australian National University (ANU) College of Business and Economics is glad to offer a South African and International Partnership Scholarship.
Students have achieved at an excellent level in their last years of schooling at an approved ANU College of Business and Economics partner program and institution, as decided by the CBE academic board.
The objective of the award is to support global relationships; continuous engagement with their recognized partner institutions and to strengthen educational outcomes for South African students, and other international students.
Students with an academic mindset from South Africa and other recognized international students.
Must be an international student;
You must make an application for admission to an undergraduate program at the ANU College of Business and Economics;
A currently studying student has graduated from an approved ANU College of Business and Economics partner program and institution and has achieved at an excellent level in their final years of schooling at a recognized ANU College of Business and Economics partner program and institution, as decided by the CBE academic panel.
The mode of application is strictly online.
Candidates would have application form through the given link: http://www.anu.edu.au/students/scholarshipsfees/scholarships/anu-college-of-business-economics-international-partnership
- Conservation Biology International Scholarship At the University Of Queensland In Australia, 2020
The School of Biological Sciences at the University of Queensland has started to accept applications for the International Scholarship in Conservation Biology.
The scholarship is available for South Africans and international students who apply and are accepted to the Master of Conservation Biology.
Scholarship Benefits: up to $10,000 AUD
Entrance Requirements: To be fit for a scholarship, the student must have received and accepted the unconditional offer of admission into the program and maintained an overall GPA greater than 5 in their precious program (students with a GPA under 5 cannot be considered in the scholarship round).
South African citizens and other International applicants are required to complete the School of Biological Sciences International Scholarship in Conservation Biology application form.
To apply for the scholarship, the applicants must submit an online application via this sole given link:
- UNE International Postgraduate Research Award (Ipra) In Australia, 2020
Deadline: March 15, 2020
The University of New England (UNE) is valuing for all international from South Africa, and the international community, who are self-centered for their passion.
This application is open to top-quality candidates who wish to enroll in a research degree at the mentioned institute.
The main purpose of the program is to aid distance education for the betterment of students. The Awards are for a maximum duration of two years.
Candidates can apply through downloading the application form through the given link:
- Science International Scholarships At the University Of Queensland In Australia, 2020
Deadline: 15 March yearly
You’ll get to witness the high-quality education and fantastic living standard at The University of Queensland.
The Department of Science at the University of Queensland offers international scholarships for outstanding South African, and international students applying for entry into any of the science coursework programs at postgraduate or undergraduate levels.
Be able to be seen as an international student in Australia.
Submit applications before scholarship closing date, and submit all documentation to meet conditions associated with an offer from UQ for an approved course.
Demonstrate strong academic performance as part of the UQ program requirements.
Make sure you enroll in a program administered by the Faculty of Science, the program must be of more than one year’s study time.
To participate, applicants must submit an application through the given link: http://www.vision6.com.au/em/forms/subscribe.php?db=515898&s=175093&a=23336&k=mTEmjsDFBzxq2IFH5gfWRcrf1Is1ZMVv00JgkcneRc
- Curtin University International Scholarship In Australia, 2020
Deadline: Applications are open until scholarships are exhausted.
The Curtin University is giving out a scholarship for Postgraduate degree in Business and Law related departments to study in Australia.
This scholarship is available for Permanent Humanitarian Visa, South Africans, and international students.
The aim of the scholarship is to encourage and help academically talented students to commence the postgraduate studies at Curtin University
- Applicants must meet ALL of the following qualifying criteria to be eligible to apply for the Scholarship:
- Receive an offer of place into the MBA in 2020
- Completed an undergraduate degree with a distinction or equivalent result.
- Applicants must not be in receipt of any other Curtin funded scholarships
- Australia Awards Scholarships
This scholarship is always open as long as the school is in session.
They aim to contribute to the improvement needs of Australia’s partner countries in line with bilateral and regional agreements.
They provide chances, and opportunities for people from South Africa and developing countries, particularly those countries located in the Indo-Pacific region, to undertake full-time undergraduate or postgraduate study in all participating Australian universities and Technical and Further Education institutions.
The study and research opportunities provided by Australia Awards Scholarships develop the skills and knowledge of individuals to drive transform and contribute to development in their own countries of origin.
Interested appliers who want to accept an Australia Awards Scholarship will need to sign a contract with the Commonwealth unit in Australia declaring that they will comply with the conditions of the scholarship.
International students are required to leave Australia for a minimum of two years after completing their scholarship.
Failure to do so will result in the student incurring debt for the total accrued amount of the scholarship received.
How to apply:
Information on how to apply for an Australia Awards Scholarship can be found here:
- Research Training Program 2020
Open during the Scholars admission period.
This is a scholarship for South Africans, and other accepted international countries.
Australia citizens are also welcome to apply.
The Research Training Program scheme is dispatched by individual universities on behalf of the Department of Education and Training.
Applications for RTP Scholarships need to send and directed to participating universities.
Each university has its own application and selection process which might be different from others, please contact the University of your choice directly to discuss how to apply for the RTP scheme.
Universities are solely responsible for the application and selection processes for RTP Scholarships, so you will need to contact your chosen university’s research office directly to discuss how to apply.
For more information, refer to the frequently asked questions for students or just send an Email to RBGrants@education.gov.au with “RTP” as the subject line.
- Vice-Chancellor’s International Scholarship
The Macquarie University Vice-Chancellor’s International Scholarship is awarded to recognize academic excellence for South Africans and international students. This highly competitive scholarship is based on academic merit and awarded to students of the future.
This scholarship awards up to AUD $10,000, added towards your tuition fee.
UP TO $10,000 (AUD )
Level of study:
Closing dates URL:
Get other important information about this scholarship here:
- LCI MELBOURNE SCHOLARSHIP IN AUSTRALIA, 2020
Deadline February 1st, yearly
LCI Melbourne scholarships are available for study across the LCI degree program. These scholarships are available to citizens of South Africa and International students.
The aim of the scholarship is to make an impact and is poised to thrive in their respective studies to apply for this LCI scholarship program.
Applicants Must Meet The Following Criteria here:
- get the online form and complete the Application.
- Prepare a short statement addressing the selection criteria not less than 200 words
- Prepare your supporting documents which include school results or portfolio.
- Email your application form and documentation.
- The University Of Adelaide College In Australia, 2020
The new University of Adelaide College International Scholarship is now available on offer to open to citizens of South Africa, and any country, except Australia and New Zealand.
These scholarships are available to pursue undergraduate programs.
To be eligible:
Be a graduate from the University of Adelaide College, or have a University of Adelaide admission offer.
Then complete the acceptance process as outlined in your offer of admission.
Note: Scholarship applicants who are only eligible for more than one scholarship given by the University of Adelaide will only be entitled to receive one scholarship, and the highest value scholarship award for which they are eligible.
Application Procedure: It is not necessary to apply for the 2020 University of Adelaide College International Scholarship because this scholarship will be automatically awarded to international students who meet the eligibility prerequisite and scholarship closing date requirements.
Scholarship recipients will be notified by email within a couple of weeks of finalizing their acceptance process.
- Australian Government Research Training Program (AGRTP) International Scholarships
Deadline: 13 Aug (annual)
The Australian Government Research Training Program (AGRTP) Scholarships for South Africans and International students are specifically intended to support international students to undertake a research higher degree at Flinders University.
Applicants must satisfy the University’s academic entry requirements.
- Applicants are required to have successfully completed at least the equivalent of an Australian First Class degree, this is a four-year degree with a major research project in the final year of study.
- Applicants must have met the English requirements set by Flinders University for international students at the time of application.
Students for whom the English language is their official language will need to provide evidence of their English language competence.
See more information here and application process here:
Official Scholarship Website: http://www.flinders.edu.au/scholarships-system/index.cfm/scholarships/display/a731e2
- Australia Awards Scholarships
OPENS 1 FEB yearly
Deadline: 30 Apr (annual)
The study in Australia
Course starts 2020
Australia Awards Scholarships which was formerly known as Australian Development Scholarships (ADS) provide awards for people from South Africa and developing countries, particularly those countries in the Indo-Pacific region, to undertake full-time undergraduate or postgraduate study at any Australian recognized universities and Technical and Further Education institutions.
To be eligible to receive a Scholarship every applicant must:
- be a minimum of 18 years of age at the time of commencing the Scholarship award
- be a member, or citizen of an eligible country, as listed on the Australia Awards website, and be living and applying for the scholarship from their country of citizenship.
Read the complete eligibility criteria in the Australia Awards Policy Handbook in the form of a pdf here:
Most applications will open on 1 February.
Check the open and close dates and select your country of citizenship or residency from the list of participating countries for specific information on eligibility, priority areas and how to apply.
The deadline varies per country. The deadline for most countries is 30 April 2020 exclusively for Cambodia (April 15) and
Vanuatu (March 31).
Get how to apply here:
Official Scholarship Website: http://www.dfat.gov.au/people-to-people/australia-awards/Pages/australia-awardsscholarships.aspx
- Endeavour Executive Fellowships
Deadline: 30 June (annual)
The Endeavour Executive Fellowship focuses on training and building skills and knowledge through a work environment in the applicant’s field or area of specialization rather than through formal enrolment in a study program and is not suited for academic research proposals.
Professional development activities could include training in management peer-to-peer learning; mentoring; short courses & developing leadership skills.
- be aged 18 years or over at the awarding of this program
- be a citizen and/or permanent resident of South Africa or a participating country
Applicants must commence their proposed program after.
Applicants who have already commenced or will commence before the award are not eligible.
- applicants must provide all relevant supporting documentation.
Official Scholarship Website: https://internationaleducation.gov.au/Endeavour%20program/Scholarships-andFellowships/Pages/default.aspx
- La Trobe Academic Excellence Scholarships for International Students
Deadline: 9 Sept/11 Nov/6 Jan (annual)
La Trobe’s Academic Excellence Scholarships are targeted towards high achieving international students from Africa and other parts of the world, from all countries across all of La Trobe’s undergraduate and postgraduate coursework programs.
You must be a citizen if South Africa or of a country other than Australia or New Zealand and be applying to start an undergraduate or postgraduate program.
You must also have scored 85% or equivalent in your previous degree or institution award, and meet our English language and academic entry criteria level.
You are not eligible if you are commencing a Higher Degree by Research, exchange program, Study Abroad Program, and Foundation Studies program, or starting a Diploma course.
You can only have the chance to apply for this scholarship if you have an offer to study in an undergraduate or postgraduate coursework program at La Trobe University See this website for inquiries about this scholarship, and it’s the application:
- Macquarie Vice-Chancellor’s International Scholarships
Deadline: 14 June (annual)
A study in Australia
Next course starts July 2020
The Macquarie University Vice-Chancellor’s International Scholarship provides a partial tuition fee scholarship for outstanding South African and international students to study an undergraduate or postgraduate degree at Macquarie University North Ryde campus.
- Be a citizen of South Africa or a country other than Australia.
- Meet the University’s academic and English requirements for the course.
- Must have gotten a minimum GPA equivalent of 5.0 out of 7.0 for Postgraduate applications: or a minimum ATAR equivalent of
90 out of 100 for Undergraduate applications.
- Applied for a program that is more than one session in duration
- Commence study in session and year indicated in the scholarship offer letter and commencement may not be ignored.
- Apply for a course and remain enrolled in a full-time study load until graduation.
Applicants should complete an online course application form and an online scholarship application form.
A Macquarie University Student digit which you will receive once your applied course has been processed is very important for you to submit the online scholarship application form.
Official Scholarship Website: https://www.mq.edu.au/study/why-study-here/scholarships/scholarships/details/vice-chancellorsinternational-scholarship
WE ALSO RECOMMEND
- 500 MBA Scholarships for International Students
- Computek College of Business, Healthcare & Technology: Tuition, Admission, Courses
- WeThinkCode Bursaries in South Africa
- Top 10 Switzerland Scholarships for International Student (HOT)
- 25 Fully Funded South African Undergraduate Scholarships
- University of Adelaide Higher Education Scholarship for International Students in Australia,
- AFRIKA KOMMT Fellowship for African Students in Germany
- “Teach a Man To Fish” Awards for Entrepreneurship in Education
- Top 15+ Scholarships Opportunities for Africans to Study Abroad [Updated]
- Low Tuition Universities in South Africa [UPDATED]
- Guy Butler Research Award In South Africa at Rhodes University
- Erasmus Mundus Scholarships for International Students
- Shell Scholarships for Nigerian Students [UPDATED]