Innovative South Africans are welcome to apply for the South African Media Innovation Challenge 2017, Only applicants whom have shown the strong zeal to participate by complying with the stated eligibility criteria will be considered for this challenge.
The SAMIP Innovation Challenge is for South African projects and organisations that are building news and information products that engage and inform local/underserved communities, by:
- searching for new ways to connect people with information,
- exploring new business models, distribution mechanisms and/or revenue generation opportunities, or
- creating platforms within existing news outlets for citizen reporting through mobile technology
Value of Award:
- A total of ZAR 3 million of grant funding is available to support independent media (covering existing companies, non-profits, and new ventures) in South Africa.
- This is the initial disbursement of the total funding available through SAMIP – the South Africa Media Innovation Program.
- SAMIP is a 3-year long program that will provide capacity building and financing to independent media in South Africa.
- The aim of the program is to promote innovation within the media sector, and also foster new voices.
- Winners will be selected by the SAMIP Advisory Panel, subject to approval by the MDIF Board of Directors.
- Cash Prize: Up to ZAR 500,000 (*depending on budgets, we will consider smaller projects that apply)
- In addition, winners will be admitted to SAMIP and benefit from capacity building:
- on-going strategic advice, (expert advice)
- tailored one-to-one consulting, (mentorship)
- targeted group training designed to help participants’ financial viability and audience reach (training)
- further funding, if approved by Advisory Panel, based on favourable initial results
Eligible Countries: South Africa
To Be Taken At (Country): South Africa
- new projects just getting off the ground, for which the applicant has initial evidence of a user need.
- specific and actionable ideas for a novel product or service – product or working demo doesn’t necessarily have to be built yet – funding can be used for MVP. (Capability requirement)
- products or services that have shown initial success/viability, and applicants are looking to scale up
How to Apply: Apply now
Application Deadline: 31st October 2017
Award Providers: South African Media Innovation Program (SAMIP)