Solomon Mahlangu Scholarship
South African scholars are currently been invited to apply for the Solomon Mahlangu Scholarship for South Africans 2019. This scholarship is available to South African students who are in pursuit of Diploma or degree studies at public Universities and Universities of Technology.
About Solomon Mahlangu:
Mahlangu was born in Pretoria on 10 July 1956, the second son of Martha Mahlangu. His father left in 1962 and as a result, he was raised by his mother, a domestic worker.
He attended Mamelodi High School up to Standard 8 (his tenth year of school), but his education was interrupted in 1976 by the riots of the Soweto uprising that resulted in school closures. In 1976 Mahlangu fled to Mozambique and spent six months in a refugee camp near Xai Xai. From there he was taken to an African National Congress (ANC) training camp called “Engineering”, in Angola.
There and at Funda Camp he received training in sabotage, military combat, scouting, and politics. He, George ‘Lucky’ Mahlangu and Mondy Motloung were then taken to Swaziland, where they were given large suitcases filled with pamphlets, rifles and hand grenades. On 11 June 1977, they crossed the border into South Africa and started making their way to Johannesburg.
Solomon Mahlangu is commemorated in the Solomon Mahlangu Freedom Square in his hometown of Mamelodi, Pretoria. The square is focused on a bronze statue of Mahlangu.
In the city of Durban, there was a major arterial road named ‘Edwin Swales VC Drive’, after an RAF bomber commander who died in 1945. Following proposals made by the eThekwini Municipality, the road was changed to honor Mahlangu.
In 2016, the main administrative building at the University of the Witwatersrand, formerly known as Senate House, was renamed Solomon Mahlangu House.
A film was created in 2017 titled Kalushi (film) which chronicles the life and times of Solomon Mahlangu.
In Tanzania, one of the top Universities, Sokoine University of Agriculture, (SUA) situated at the East region of Morogoro, the main campus for the university is known as Solomon Mahlangu Campus
During the fees must fall protests, the song ‘Solomon’ was a key song recited by student activists on campuses across the country. This is a reference to Mahlangu, his legacy and what he means to the youth of today.
In Mdantsane East London in the Eastern Cape, there is a high school named after him as Solomon Mahlangu Senior Secondary School.
BACKGROUND OF THE SCHOLARSHIP: In its quest to address the challenge of youth unemployment, access to education and shortage of scarce skills, the scholarship has been availed to youth under 35 years of age to give them an opportunity to study at public universities or university of technologies across South Africa.
Solomon Mahlangu Scholarship Fund (SMSF) was established to avail funds and financial support to youth to enable them to pursue quality education in an institution of higher learning with youth in rural areas as the primary target.
The scholarship fund is designed to create an environment for affording youth with an excellent academic background, an opportunity to further their studies. Financial support will be provided to youth who pursue full-time degrees that fall within the priority growth sectors, critical and scarce skills areas outlined in the labor planning frameworks of the country.
This scholarship and the available funds will be accessible to deserving South African youth who meet the minimum entry requirements set by the scholarship board, who have been admitted for study at public Universities and Universities of Technology.
OBJECTIVES OF SOLOMON MAHLANGU SCHOLARSHIP:
More About the Solomon Mahlangu Scholarship 2019
NOTE: Our Scholarship Award Winning Ebook (worth $50) is up for grab, if you’re reading this article, you stand a chance to win one of our Scholarship Ebook. get the E-book for free by dropping your thought on the article in the comment box.
World Scholarship Forum popular searched scholarships you can utilize in 2019
- 2019/2020 Fully Funded Scholarships
- Full Commonwealth Scholarships 2019-2020
- Erasmus Mundus Scholarships for All Countries 2019-2020
- Scholarships For Developing Countries 2019-2020
- DAAD SCHOLARSHIPS FOR ALL STUDENTS 2019-2020
Level/ Field of Study
The Solomon Mahlangu Scholarship is taken in South Africa
If you are an international student and you desire to study in the UK, Check out the best scholarships obtainable for study in the UK
The scholarship open to South Africans to study in South African public Universities
Coins Grand Challenge Worth
- Accommodation (thresholds apply)
- Study Books/equipment (thresholds apply)
Eligibility for the Solomon Mahlangu Scholarship 2019
- Students must be applying for admission to one of the public universities as a 1st-year full-time student in a priority study (see below).
- High school learners who plan to attend one of the public universities or universities of technology after completing the National Senior Certificate
- Must meet University Admission Points Score (APS) and achieve an average of 70% in the NSC exams
- Must be South African citizens under 35
- Financial neediness – combined household income of less than R15 000 a month
- Reside in rural/semi-rural areas/townships
Priority of Study
Full-time degrees that fall within the priority growth sectors, critical and scarce skills areas outlined in the labor planning framework of the country. Full-time degrees that fall within the priority growth sectors, critical and scarce skills areas outlined in the labor planning framework of the country.
How to Apply for Solomon Mahlangu Scholarship 2019
Applications can be done in either of the following ways:
1) By downloading and completing the NYDA Solomon Mahlangu Scholarship Fund Bursary Application Form (pdf format)
2) Online at: https://studentfundingportal.com/sfp/ (preferred method)
You may be required to upload/ submit the following supporting documentation to your online application:
- ID document (certified copy)
- Matric mid-year results (if not yet in possession of your Matric final certificate) (certified copy)
- Matric certificate (certified copy) (*see note below)
- Parents/ guardians ID documents (certified copies)
- Parents/ guardians proof of income (latest payslips if employed/ affidavit if unemployed/ proof of pension income or grant/ death certificate if deceased).
*Note: should you have not received your Matric certificate at the time of application, it must be submitted by the deadline for this scholarship application.
Application forms and supporting documentation must be submitted to (if you are NOT using the online application method):
Solomon Mahlangu Scholarship Fund
8 Victoria Road
OR emailed to: [email protected]
- the application does not automatically mean acceptance; a final selection of students to be covered by the Solomon Mahlangu scholarship is made by a committee;
- no late or incomplete applications will be accepted;
- all information submitted is strictly confidential
Solomon Mahlangu Scholarship 2019 Application Deadline
The application date for this program has passed but we encourage you to keep checking this site as we shall update you with the latest information in this regard
If you would like to get more information about the Solomon Mahlangu scholarship, we encourage you to do so by clicking here
- Congressional App Challenge 2019-2020 | Apply Now
- Wal Greens Expressions Challenge 2019 | UPDATED
- Green Alley Award for Startups 2019 [Fully Funded]
- Partnership Scholarship for International Students in Germany 2019-2020
- Banco Santander Foundation–CNIO Fellowships for Young Researchers 2018-19
- COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP FOR BANGLADESHI STUDENTS 2018
- Alan Fletcher Masters Scholarship at University of the Arts London, UK, 2018
- 230 Fully-funded Commonwealth Shared Scholarships for Students from Developing Countries
- Fully Funded International Scholarships for African Students (Anywhere In The World )
Apply right now for the Solomon Mahlangu Scholarship for South Africans 2019, this scholarship is intended for south african students. see details for more