The Simons Foundation IMU-Simons African Fellowship Program for teh year 2021 in the USA is pleased to announce the ongoing fellowship for African mathematicians. The African applicant must be based (place of work) in an African developing country. The Simons Foundation’s mission is to advance the frontiers of research in mathematics and teh basic sciences.
- All About the International Mathematical Union (IMU)
- Level/Field of Study
- Host Nationality
- Eligible Nationality
- Scholarship Worth
- Eligibility for IMU-Simons African Fellowship Program
- How to Apply for IMU-Simons African Fellowship Program 2021
- IMU-Simons African Fellowship Program 2021 Application Deadline
- IMU-Simons African Fellowship Program 2021 Application Link
- EDITORS’ RECOMMENDATION
All About the International Mathematical Union (IMU)
Since the early 1970s, the International Mathematical Union (IMU) has maintained a program of cooperation with and in support of mathematical institutions and individual mathematicians in the developing world. Support activities include research travel and conference grants, as well as volunteer lectures, joint research projects, and donations. In the past years, these activities were managed by the IMU’s Commission for Development and Exchanges (CDE) and the Developing Countries Strategy Group.(DCSG).
World Scholarship Forum popular searched Scholarships 2021
- Fully Funded Scholarships
- ICCR Scholarships
- Full Commonwealth Scholarships
- Erasmus Mundus Scholarships for All Countries
- Scholarships For Developing Countries
- DAAD SCHOLARSHIPS FOR ALL STUDENTS
- List of Top 10 Mechanical Engineering Colleges in the World
Don’t miss any of these Scholarship opportunities. You can open any of these opportunities on a new tab.
Level/Field of Study
The fellowship is available to pursue research.
The primary focus of the foundation’s Mathematics and Physical Sciences division is the theoretical sciences radiating from mathematics: in particular, the fields of mathematics, theoretical computer science, and theoretical physics.
IMU-Simons African Fellowship Program is taken and hosted in the USA. You can also check our scholarship by country category for more scholarship updates.
A must-read if you want to win this award: 15 Important Tips on Winning a Scholarship.
For the IMU Simons African Fellowship Program mathematicians from the following countries can apply:
Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cape Verde, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Ivory Coast, Congo (D.R. of the), Djibouti, Egypt, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Togo, Tunisia, U.R. of Tanzania: Mainland, Uganda, Zambia, Zanzibar and Zimbabwe.
The grant under this scheme will cover:
- Travel costs from the place of work of the applicant to that of the host to the extent of economy class airfare (Public) transport (surface transport by rail or bus between the nearest city where the airport is located and the headquarters of the candidate or the city/town where the host institution is located, if necessary)
- Visa fees
- Travel insurance charges
- Basic living costs
- Accommodation cost (guest house of the institution or rented flat if possible).
- Maximum four (4) Taxi fares (on submission of receipts) may be allowed to travel between the residence and the airport/railway station (upon arrival and departure).
Maximum support per grantee is USD 5,000 (the money is transferred in EURO).
All invoices including all boarding tickets have to be kept by the grantee and be sent (original) to the CDC/ IMU Secretariat by regular mail. Unspent funds have to be returned to CDC.
Eligibility for IMU-Simons African Fellowship Program
Please ensure that you carefully go through all the requirements listed below before sending your application.
- The applicant has to hold a valid doctoral degree (PhD) in mathematics.
- The African applicant must be based (place of work) in an African developing country for the list of eligible countries please clicks here.
- Countries whose Gross National Income per Capita (GNI) is less than 11000 USD are classified by IMU as “Developing Country”.
- The applicant has to be employed as a mathematician in a faculty of a university or an equivalent higher education institution.
- The applicant should already have established contact with a mathematician in the host institution in a mathematical center of excellence worldwide and should have a definite research plan together with the host, which must be submitted along with the curriculum vitae of both mathematicians at the time of applying for this grant. This plan should be approved by the host as well.
- The applicant should have been granted an appropriate leave of absence from his/her home institution which will cover the period of the visit.
- The application must also be accompanied by a formal letter of invitation from the host institution, which clearly specifies the period of the (short) research visit as well as the extent of its financial commitment and support. It is expected that the host institution would at least offer office space, free Internet access, and other basic amenities. The invitation has to come from the dean of the faculty for the host institution.
- The minimal length of a visit that could be favorably considered would be one month. There is no maximal length but it has to be a sabbatical/ research visit, not a fellowship position in the host institution (e.g. doing a post-doctoral).
How to Apply for IMU-Simons African Fellowship Program 2021
In order to apply please take the following steps:
- Please fill out and submit the online application form for the IMU-Simons Programs.
- Then send the application with all requested documents (two CVs: of the host and the applicant, detailed Research plan, invitation letter by the host institution, letter by the home institution, budget details (in EURO)) as one joint PDF document to CDC Grants via email <cdc.grants-at-mathunion.org>.
IMU-Simons African Fellowship Program 2021 Application Deadline
This fellowship is an annual fellowship that comes within the time frame provided below
Scholarship application deadlines are :
- January 2021(Decisions will be made by February 28)
- March 2021 (Decisions will be made by April 30)
- May 2021 (Decisions will be made by June 31)
IMU-Simons African Fellowship Program 2021 Application Link
web site: Scholarship Link
- 500 MBA Scholarships for International Students
- Commonwealth Scholarships for Pakistan Students
- Low Tuition Universities in South Africa [UPDATED]
- Ongoing: List of Singapore Scholarships – Apply
- Free Scholarships for Ethiopian Students [UPDATED]
- Fully Funded Scholarship Programme for ASEAN Students
- Chongqing University Scholarships for ASEAN Students in China
- Danish Government Cultural Agreement Scholarships for International Students
- Common Data Access Scholarship in UK
- De Beers Bursary in South Africa
Does this article meet your immediate needs? if yes, click the SHARE button to share with your friends. if no, leave a response on the comment box to express your concern or ask a question and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
World Scholarship Forum