We have compiled the necessary information such as Savannah State University Scholarships and Tuition fees, Savannah State University Ranking and Admission Requirements, and Housing. So, study at Savannah state university is here for you.
Do you wish to study abroad? One of the major destinations in the world for well-off and effectual study pursuit is the United States. Are you aware that the United States has higher institutions than any other nation in the world?
Apart from being the home to some of the best universities in the world, its education system is top-notch, tested and proven and has produced notable individuals around the world. The Savannah State University in Georgia is one such institutions, given to superiority, technologically advanced and offers research-based courses.
It is a grooming place for great black individuals that have set the pace in their profession. We have in this article, carefully prepared details about the school, it’s ranking, courses, admission requirements, accommodation and meal plan options, athletic team, scholarships and requirements to travel to the US as an international student.
- What do you know about Savannah State University?
- Savannah State University Admission
- Savannah State University Courses
- Savannah State University Ranking
- Savannah State University Acceptance Rate
- Savannah State University Tuition
- Savannah State University Housing Cost
- Savannah State University Meal Plan
- Savannah State Freshman Dorms
- Savannah State University Commons Floor Plan
- Savannah State University Tiger Court
- Savannah State University Housing Floor Plans
- Savannah State University Housing Phone Number
- Savannah State Tigers
- Savannah State University Scholarships
- Georgia HOPE Scholarship
- Zell Miller Scholarship
- James H. Porter Academic Scholarship
- United Nations Populations Fund internship in New York, USA
- International Admissions Scholarship for Undergraduates at the University of Buffalo in the USA
- University of Bridgeport Global Leader of Tomorrow (Fully-funded) Scholarships for International Students 2020 – USA
- CGS Student Government Scholarship
- Chancellor’s Scholarship Program
- John D. Spurling Scholarship Program
- AES Engineering Scholarship-USA 2020
- University of Washington-TRACE Scholar Program, USA
- Mary Elizabeth Lockwood Beneventi MBA Scholarship
- International Welcome Scholarships at Golden Gate University in USA, 2020
- Applying for USA Student Visa
- Steps required to apply for a US Visa
- General Required Documents – For All Visa Types
- EDITOR’S RECOMMENDATION
What do you know about Savannah State University?
Established in 1890, Savannah State University is a four-year, state-supported, historically black university (HBCU) located in Savannah, Georgia, United States.
It is the oldest public historically black university in the State of Georgia. It develops productive members of a global society through high-quality instruction, scholarship, research, and service and community involvement.
It has the vision of graduating students who are prepared to perform at higher levels of economic productivity, social responsibility, and excellence in their chosen career fields of endeavor in a changing global community. The University is a member-school of the Thurgood Marshall College Fund.
The University fosters engaged learning and personal growth in a student-centered environment that celebrates the African American legacy while nurturing a diverse student body.
Savannah State University was founded as a result of the Second Morrill Land Grant Act of August 30, 1890. The act mandated that southern and border states develop land grant colleges for black students, as their systems were segregated.
On November 26, 1890, the Georgia General Assembly passed legislation creating the Georgia State Industrial College for Colored Youth.
The college awarded its first baccalaureate degree in 1898. Savannah State University is the first institution in the state of Georgia to offer the homeland security degree program.
It was the second institution in the University System of Georgia to offer wireless Internet connectivity to students throughout the campus.
Savannah State University Admission
As in many other top Universities in the United States, some things are basically needed as key requirements for entrance into Savannah State University.
As an international applicant you must apply online and submit the following:
- A free complete Application for Savannah State University Admission online at www.gafutures.org.
- Submit SAT/ACT Scores SAT Code: 5609 ACT Code: 0858
- Official SAT or ACT scores. (Scores must be electronically sent to the Admissions Office from the testing source.)
- Submit Transcript(s)
- An official college transcript (if applicable) from each college attended (less than 30-semester transferable hours; Transcripts must be electronically sent to the Admissions Office from schools attended.)
- Take or Submit TOEFL Scores
- Applicants from non-native English speaking countries must take the Testing of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). (Scores must be at least 225 on the computer test or 530 on the paper exam).
- A complete Certificate of Immunization is required for some Georgia residents and anyone residing outside of the state of Georgia. Check the incomplete documents list on your application status to see if you need to submit a Certificate of Immunization.
A completed application includes:
- Completed and submitted online Savannah State University Admission Application
- Official high school and/or college transcript(s)
- Complete Certificate of Immunization form (only if you are not a Georgia resident Immunization Record)
- Official SAT and/or ACT score report
- COMPASS Exam score report — will be required for applicants who do not meet minimum admission requirements and/or have high school curriculum deficiencies in English or Math but demonstrate the potential for academic success
Other required documents depending upon admit type:
- Official college transcript displaying a type of degree and award date
- Transient Permission Letter displaying courses eligible to enroll and good academic standing
- ACCEL program application
- TOEFL score report
- Proof of financial support
- Supplemental application
- Professional Evaluation of high school and/or college transcript(s)
- Country Test results
Savannah State University Courses
Savannah State University is a citadel of education that offers a first-rate, high standard, research-based knowledge in a number of undergraduate and highly ranked graduate courses across a range of faculties in the university. They cut across the following disciplines;
Accounting, Business, Computer Information Systems, Entrepreneurship, Global Logistics, and International Business, Management, Marketing, Africana Studies, Behavior Analysis, Criminal Justice, Gerontology, History, Homeland Security and Emergency Management, Mass Communication, Political Science, Urban Studies, Applied Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Civil Engineering Technology, Computer Science Technology, Electronics Engineering Technology, Environmental Science, Forensic Science, General Technology, Marine Sciences, Mathematics, and Education.
Other Operating Institutes
Savannah State University also operates three colleges (College of Business Administration, College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, College of Sciences and Technology) and the Office of Graduate Studies and Sponsored Research (OGSSR).
It also participates in research centers and programs at the Center for Teaching, Learning and Academic Support; Savannah Entrepreneurial Center; the Midtown Project; the Georgia Institute of Technology Regional Engineering Program (GTREP); and “A Collaboration to Integrate Research and Education in Marine and Environmental Science and Biotechnology” with the Skidaway Institute of Oceanography, part of the University of Georgia.
Savannah State University Ranking
It is not an unexpected fact that most of the highly-rated African-American universities in the world today are in the United States. The Savannah state university is one of such institutions that are ranked high in the nation and the world.
For 2018, the University was ranked the No. 67 best public university by U.S. News & World Report.
In the 19 years since U.S. News began ranking public universities as a separate category, SSU has ranked in the top 70 and continues to rank in the Top 200 among the best of all national universities, public and private.
It is generally ranked 51st among all Universities in the United States and 800th in the world.
Savannah State University Acceptance Rate
The University is one of the most accessible public universities in the nation; this accounts for its relatively moderate competitive rate and a very high acceptance rate of 70-80%. This means that more than 80 out of every 100 applicants are granted admission into the school. Successful applicants typically have “A” averages and SAT/ACT scores that are significantly above average (a combined SAT score above 1300 is typical).
According to its admissions website, the most vital factors in a successful application are intellectual ability, academic achievement, and personal qualities that will contribute to the work of the University. The admissions committee gives a lot of priority to performance and rigor of secondary school program, recommendations from a teacher and guidance counselor, extracurricular involvement and honors, writing ability as evidenced in admissions essay, and standardized test scores.
Savannah State University Tuition
Generally, tuition in most American universities is expensive with some of them, relatively affordable. The tuition fee at Savannah State University varies depending on the course and program applied for, whether you are from the State of Georgia or another state in the United States or you are a citizen of another country.
You may need to visit the school website to get more detailed information on the fees and its breakdown. However, the tuition fee on the average ranges between $3, 367 (for in-state applicants) and $9,905 (for out-of-state applicants). Other costs may include; academic books, accommodation, personal expenses and other miscellaneous.
Savannah State University Housing Cost
It is essential to understand all of the expenses associated with your college career so that you can prepare appropriately. The cost of supplies, housing, and meal plans can really mound up after 4 years (or more)! Be prepared by taking these costs into account.
In 2017-2018, students at Savannah State University paid $3,700 for housing and $3,892 for the dining plan.
The outlines average expenses at Savannah State University for both on-campus and off-campus housing, dining plans and other charges.
Room and Board $7,592 (On campus) and $7,508(Off-Campus), Housing-$3,700, Meals-$3,892, Books and Supplies-$1,600 and other personal Expenses-$2,064
Savannah State University Meal Plan
Freshmen resident are required to be on the 15 meal of 200 dollars per week meal plan (default plan) and the 10 meal a week for a 200 dollar meal plan is the default plan for non-freshmen. Non-freshman resident students may choose a 14 meal a week plan for the same amount or a 20-meal-a week plan for a high amount.
After a student signs up for housing he/she is automatically charged for the meal plan. It will be added on the system, and their fee statement will reflect these dining charges. In the summer, only the commuter meal plans are available for any students.
|Residential Meal Plan Rates|
|5 meals per week (meal plan reduction for medical disabilities and off-campus employment)||$754.00|
|10 meals per week + 200 Dining Dollars per semester||$1,550.00|
|14 meals per week||$1,508.00|
|15 meals per week + 200 Dining Dollars per semester||$2,051.00|
|20 meals per week||$1,975.00|
All meals must be used in the semester for which the plan is purchased and are not transferable) The Commuter Meal Plan is available to commuting students only
|Commuter Meal Plan Rates|
|10 meals per semester||$75.00|
|25 meals per semester||$183.00|
|50 meals per semester||$343.00|
|25 meals per semester + 100 Dining Dollars per semester||$283.00|
|100 meals per semester||$662.00|
When you fill out your application, you have to state for which semester/s you want to stay on campus. If you break your contract, the University has the right to charge you.
On the meal plan, students can eat at the dining hall, Tiger Cafe, or Tiger Express Diner during their hours of operation.
Savannah State Freshman Dorms
The Savannah State University through her office of Residential Services strives to provide a living environment that is not only comfortable, safe and secure, but also conducive to academic and personal growth. Savannah State University houses over 2700 students within its nine residential facilities.
Living options include Traditional Living, Apartment Style Living, and Hybrid Style Living which combines features of both traditional and apartment-style living.
Professionally trained and experienced Resident Hall Directors are available in each of our Residential Facilities to provide information, guidance, direction, programs, and services for residents.
Their roles are to foster an environment which supports learning, involvement, academic success, and personal development.
Living on-campus provides a wealth of opportunities for developing lasting friendships, participating in co-curricular social and educational activities, and sharing experience with people from different backgrounds, interests, cultures, academic pursuits and aspirations.
Student-Residents often study together, participate in campus intramural sports and athletic teams, attend and participate in a wide variety of programs and activities offered in residence, or become involved in the various forms of student government. Being conveniently located on campus makes it easy to take advantage of many opportunities available right at your doorstep.
Savannah State University Commons Floor Plan
University Commons houses approximately 700 students in fully-furnished one, two, three and four-bedroom apartments. Kitchen appliances include a microwave, stove, and refrigerator. Amenities include a laundry center and computer lab on site. University Commons is one of six residential facilities on campus.
3 Bedroom Units: 2 standard rooms (shared bath), 1 master room (private bath)
2 Bedroom Units: 2 standard rooms (shared bath)
1 Bedroom Unit (Private Bath)
It has amenities which include
Computer Lab/ Study Area, Study Area, Landscaped Courtyards, Unlimited Laundry, Surveillance camera system and Full Kitchen
The apartments are townhouse style with a full kitchen and common area on the bottom floor and the bedrooms and bathrooms on the upper floor. The rooms come fully furnished with height-adjustable twin size beds, closets, desk with seat, and two stackable dressers. High-speed internet connections are available in all rooms (Ethernet cable needed). Wireless internet access is available for 100% of the living area (Free access to all SSU Students).
Savannah State University Tiger Court
Tiger Court is a co-ed facility, traditional residence hall which majorly serves as Freshmen Facility. It has Floor Plans of 1 and 2 Bedroom which is are Unit Types of
2 Person Semi-Private Room (shared bath)
1 Person Private Room (Private Bath)
It has amenities such as 324 beds, Keyless Building Entry, Study Area, Landscaped Courtyards and Unlimited Laundry
The rooms are furnished with a bed, dresser, and a computer desk. High-speed internet connections are available in all rooms (Ethernet cable needed) along with access to basic cable. Wireless internet access is available for 100% of the living area (Free access to all SSU Students).
Savannah State University Housing Floor Plans
This is units of accommodation at the Freshman Living Learning Centre that is made up of units of room for 2-person cluster, 4-person cluster, and 8-person cluster with rooms that are both private and shared. All units have been fully furnished with twin size long bed, dresser or wardrobe, desk chair, desk, mattress pad, and a shared bathroom. The rooms are separated into several clusters to create small communities. This residential facility is equipped with a lobby with vending machines, a keyless door, computer labs, a catering kitchen, a laundry room, a seminar room, and a recreation room. To apply for a space in the facility, the students have to pay a non-refundable application fee of $50
Savannah State University Housing Phone Number
Savannah State University
Housing and Residence Life
Savannah, GA 31404
Phone: (912) 358-3132
Fax: (912) 358-3632
Monday – Friday, from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Savannah State Tigers
The Savannah State Tigers represent the university in college intercollegiate athletics and are administered by the Savannah State University Athletic Department. The department dedicates about $2 million per year for its sports teams and facilities.
Savannah State University holds membership in the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division I as a member of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC) and participates in the following sports: football, baseball, basketball (men and women), cross-country (men and women), tennis (men and women), track and field (men and women), volleyball (women only), golf (men), and softball (women).
In April 2017 Savannah State University President Cheryl Dozier announced the school intends to reclassify all athletic programs to Division II. The move back to Division II is expected to occur for the 2019-20 academic year. The Georgia school would end its membership in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, which it joined in 2010
The school gained notoriety when they finished the 2004–2005 men’s basketball season a winless 0–28, the first Division I team to do so since Prairie View A&M University in 1991–1992. The team’s final game (a 49–44 loss to Florida A&M) was covered by several national sports organizations including ESPN.
Savannah State Tigers football team
The Savannah State Tigers football team represents Savannah State University in college football. The Tigers are members of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC). The football team is traditionally the most popular sport at Savannah State and home games are played at Ted A. Wright Stadium in Savannah, Georgia.
The team regularly participates in one or more black football classics each season including the CSRA Football Classic and the Joe Turner Classic. The team has previously participated in the Gateway Classic, the Miami Classic, the Palmetto Capital City Classic, and the Circle City Classic.
Savannah State Tigers basketball team
The Savannah State Tigers basketball team represents Savannah State University and competes in the NCAA Division I as a member of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference since 2010. The Tigers play their home games in Tiger Arena on the university’s Savannah, Georgia campus. Since joining Division I, the Tigers have never qualified for the NCAA Tournament.
They are currently coached by Horace Broadnax who is in his 13th season as head coach of the Tigers.
Tiger Arena is the 6,000-seat multi-purpose arena that serves as the home for the university’s basketball team and athletic department offices. Ted A. Wright Football Stadium is the home of the university’s football team and has an Olympic outdoor track. The 7,500-seat multi-purpose stadium opened in 1967. The track was constructed in 1995
Savannah State University scholarships are been offered to undergraduates and graduates from private, federal, state and university-funded sources. The eligibility requirements for each scholarship vary. Criteria for merit-based scholarships include academic achievement, standardized test scores, extracurricular activities, awards, and honors.
Georgia HOPE Scholarship
The Georgia HOPE Scholarship is funded by the Georgia Lottery. The HOPE Scholarship covers some tuition for students seeking a degree at a technical college or university. The student must be a 1993 or later high school graduate with a 3.0-grade point average (GPA) in a college preparatory track or a 3.2 GPA in a technical curriculum track to be eligible for the HOPE Scholarship.
Zell Miller Scholarship
This scholarship is funded by the Georgia lottery. The Zell Miller Scholarship covers 100% of tuition for students who are the Valedictorian or Salutatorian for their graduating class; or received a score of at least 1,200 combined critical reading score and math score on a single administration of the SAT or an ACT composite scale score of at least 26 and graduated from high school with at least a 3.7 calculated GPA.
James H. Porter Academic Scholarship
The James H. Porter Scholarship provides financial assistance to students attending Albany State University, Fort Valley State University, and Savannah State University. Awards are anywhere from $1,000.00 – $5,000.00 annually. The scholarship is open to undergraduate and graduate students matriculating at SSU.
United Nations Populations Fund is offering an internship program for international students to study in the USA. Students should be enrolled in an advanced degree program or have recently graduated. Interns do not receive a salary or any other form of remuneration from UNFPA. International applicants are eligible to apply for this internship program.
The University of Buffalo is offering International Admissions Scholarship to qualified international freshmen for the academic year 2018. Scholarship awards vary from $2,000–$10,000 per academic year and are renewable for up to four years with good academic standing.
Recognizing the impact of international education on a student’s life and the development of his/her community, the University of Bridgeport seeks to support a select group of promising students throughout the period of their undergraduate studies in the form of a comprehensive scholarship.
The University of Pittsburgh is delighted to publicize the CGS Student Government Scholarship. Candidates must currently be attending the College of General Studies and earned at least 60 credits at the University of Pittsburgh. The recipient(s) receives a one-time $1000 award.
University of Arkansas – Pulaski Technical College is glad to announce a Chancellor’s Scholarship Program. Early graduates will need to apply for the Chancellor’s Scholarship for the upcoming Fall Semester. The scholarship is estimated to provide up to $9,300* in tuition and fees over four semesters.
In celebration of the Human-Canine Bond, AKC Humane Fund is now offering the John D. Spurling Scholarship Program. The scholarship program is intended as tuition assistance for students with excellent academic record pursuing an education in a field that advances responsible pet ownership…
AES Engineering Scholarship-USA 2020
Would you like to get a Scholarship that can further help in education? AES Engineering Solutions is offering the scholarship for those students who want to be a future leader across a wide spectrum of fields of study.
AES Engineering believes that a high-grade point average should not be the only criteria for determining who is able to get the scholarship.. ..APPLY NOW
University of Washington-TRACE Scholar Program, USA
This LLM scholarship is aimed at developing exceptional young leaders in the field of anti-corruption who are committed to advancing commercial transparency. The University of Washington School of Law aspires to be the best public law school in the nation and one of the world’s most respected centers for interdisciplinary legal studies.
Mary Elizabeth Lockwood Beneventi MBA Scholarship
As its name implies, the Mary Elizabeth Lockwood Beneventi MBA Scholarship is available to those students who are pursuing business education at the graduate level. The program is designed to cover at least partial expense associated with an MBA program, and it’s open to students with any concentration within the Masters of Business Administration program at an AACSB accredited institution.
The Golden Gate University is inviting applications for International Welcome Scholarships. These scholarships are available for pursuing a bachelor’s or master’s degree program. All graduate-level applicants whose first (native) language is not English must satisfy the English language requirement to qualify for admission.
Generally, any visa applicant coming to the United States to attend an approved educational course of study requires a Student Visa.
Upon acceptance to a U.S. school the student plans to attend, the student will be enrolled in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).
Instructions on completing the SEVIS I-901 fee and associated signatures through the SEVIS system will be provided by the U.S. school.
The school will enter the principal applicant’s name in the SEVIS system as well as the names of any family members who plan to travel with the principal applicant in order to generate the necessary I-20 form(s). Each family member must receive their own I-20.
If the family members do not apply with the principal applicant, a copy of the original I-20 issued by the principal visa holder’s school will be required. Visit the U.S.
Continuing students may apply for a new visa at any time, as long as they have been maintaining student status and their SEVIS (http://www.ice.gov/sevis) records are current. Continuing students may also enter the United States at any time before their classes start.
Steps required to apply for a US Visa
If required to apply for a Visa to travel to the United States the process includes the following steps:
- Determine the type of Visa required to travel to the United States. Information about Visa types can be found at https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/all-visa-categories.html.
- Complete the online visa application form, DS-160. The DS-160 is a U.S. Government on-line form and can only be completed at https://ceac.state.gov/CEAC. Each applicant must complete this form before using any services on this website.
- Return to this website and complete the following application steps to schedule a Consular Section appointment:
- Create a user account
- Enter the DS-160 confirmation number for each applicant applying for a Visa
- Pay the Nonimmigrant Visa (MRV) application fee(s)
- Schedule a Consular Section appointment
- Attend the Consular Section appointment.
Note: Applicants of a certain age group or those who are renewing a previous U.S. visa may be eligible to apply for a visa without attending a Consular interview. Eligibility for the “Interview Waived” program will be determined as the applicant goes through the process of scheduling an appointment through this site. The determination will be made based on the answers provided to the qualifying criteria.
General Required Documents – For All Visa Types
The following documents are required for all visa types:
- Current Passport is valid for travel to the United States. The passport must be valid for at least six months beyond the period of stay in the United States (unless exempt by country-specific agreements.)
- A passport containing the most recently issued U.S. Visa (if applicable).
- Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160 confirmation page.
- Confirmation and Instructions page printed from this website
- One 5 x 5 cm (2 x 2 inches) color photo taken within the last 6 months. Further details regarding the Department of State photo guidelines can be found at https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/photos.html.
- Accompanying family members, unless entering the United States for another purpose, should present a marriage certificate (spouse) and/or birth certificate (for unmarried children under 21), as applicable.
If you are attending an appointment in person, you must bring original documents. If you are eligible to send your documents via courier, you must send your current valid passport and the prior passport containing the most recently issued U.S Visa (if applicable), as well as the DS-160 confirmation page and copies of any other supporting documents. Please see the section below for a list of supporting documents required for each visa type.
additional requested documents for an in-person interview may include evidence of:
- The purpose of your trip
- Your intent to depart the United States after your trip; and/or
- Your ability to pay for all the costs of your trip.
- Evidence of your employment and/or family ties may be sufficient to show the purpose of your trip and your intent to return to your home country.
- If you cannot cover all the costs for your trip, you may show evidence that another person will cover some or all of the costs for your trip.
- 20 Best Online Schools for Accounting | UPDATED
- Top 10 Universities To Study Accounting in Asia
- Top 50 Scholarships for Studying Finance and Accounting in USA
- Study In UK: Top 10 Universities to Study Accounting and Finance in UK
- Washington CPA Foundation Scholarship
- Study In South Africa: Best university in South Africa to study technology and engineering
- Motorola Solutions Foundation Grants Program
- Tips On How to Apply for Admission and Visa to Study in Canada
- United Kingdom: A Perfect Destination For World-Class Education
- 21 Cheapest Universities in Florida for International Students
- Top 9 Reasons Why You Should Consider Studying in the Philippines
- Study in Mexico: Tuition, Cost of Living And List of Top Universities
- Study In Switzerland: All you need to Know about University of Zurich
- 12 Steps On How to Apply for Scholarship in Any Country
- 25 Master’s Scholarship in Human Rights in South Africa
- 15 Best Colleges for Computer Science in India.
- 15 Scholarships for Tanzanians in India
Does this article meet your immediate needs? if yes, leave us with a 5-star rating in the Review Box below. if no, leave a response on the comment box to express your concern or ask a question and we will get back to you as soon as possible
World Scholarship Forum