Peace and Love Academic scholarship (PALAS) is now available to Jamaicans and they are invited to hurry and apply for the PALAS SCHOLARSHIP FOR JAMAICANS 2018. Only applicants from High school who have complied with the eligibility criteria to the later will be granted consideration for this scholarship program. Hurry now and apply!!!
ABOUT PALAS SCHOLARSHIP:
PALAS is a Non-profit, 501(c)(3) organization as defined by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), which means your donation/contribution is tax deductible.
The Peace and Love Academic Scholarship (PALAS) program was established in December, 2010 after the brutal killing in Portmore, Jamaica of young reggae artist,Vanessa Campbell. An initial scholarship program was created as the SSSJamz/Vanessa Campbell Academic Scholarship to assist high school students from her Alma mater, Bridgeport High School.
After an appeal by founder Rula Brown to listeners of his popular Internet radio shows; “Sultry Sunday Slow Jamz” (SSSJamz) and “Peace and Love Vibration Show” (PALVS) produced excellent responses. It was subsequently decided to extend the scholarship program to high school students currently residing in the Caribbean region. On July 8, 2011, thirteen (13) scholarships were awarded to high school students in Kingston, Jamaica.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE SCHOLARSHIP:
Palas organisation is one that believes in accountability, transparency and honesty therefore all funds are invested in the scholarship program.
PALAS has awarded three-hundred eighty five (385) scholarships and thirty (42) computers valued US$205,000.00 (~JA$23.5 million) in the past 6 years. Our goal is to award several scholarships annually to high school and University/College students currently residing in the Caribbean region. Please help us to get the word out, thank you very much.
The committee members goals and objectives are to “help in the education of one student at a time”. Our motto is “Preserving Young Minds for Posterity”, thus have decided to work assiduously and reach out to donors to secure the funds to make it all happen.
LEVEL/FIELD OF STUDY:
This scholarship to be taken in Jamaica
The scholarship program will cover for the financial responsibilities of the students during their tenure of studies.It is NOT a full scholarship and it is renewable each year provided you maintain at least an overall grade B or 3.0/4.0 GPA. PALAS set new goals each year and work assiduously to reach the target.
The following are the requirements for Palas scholarship:
1) All applicants will be required to write an essay of 300-500 words as to why they should receive a PALAS scholarship.
2) Maintain at least B (or 70%) grade. All students MUST include at least two MOST recent semesters/terms grades marking period. An application with anything less will not be considered.
Scan the photo, pic of the document and upload them with the application in .JPG, .PNG or .PDF format.
3) List your community activities on the application form such as; including those at school (list all relevant school extra-curricular activities), track/field and other sports, volunteering, churches, hospital, rotary club etc.
All applications MUST be signed by typing out your name or initialed on the application. If application is not signed/initialed you will lose valuable points during the evaluation process.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THIS SCHOLARSHIP:
Each application is graded out of a possible 30 points (10 essay, 10 grades, 5 community actvities and 5 overall package presentation with complete documentation) TIP: Your checklist of supporting documents MUST be uploaded one at a time when completing the application form.
Applicants photo ID (graduation type or passport head shot photo is MANDATORY) MUST be sent with the application in .JPG, .PNG, or .PDFformat. If there are any questions regarding the application form/process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Photo in .doc format is NOT acceptable.
- For Re-Awardees currently holding PALAS scholarships, it is NOT necessary to write an essay, send new references, CSEC/CAPE certificates. If a re-awardee is doing their CSEC/CAPE for the first time, then those info MUST be sent in with your application.
- Re-Awardees MUST fill out the online application. Your info will NOT be accepted via email. Note: Please notify PALAS if you will be graduating in the current school year.
- If a re-awardee is attending university for the first time then you MUST send in your admissions letter. It is MANDATORY to fill out the application and submit your grades by June 10th. Additionally, you MUST send new photo in the format described above.
- The grades/transcript may be unofficial. However, it must be stamped by the school/University/College. NOTE: A grade B, 75% or 3.0(4.0=A) average MUST be maintained for the entire school year. There are no exceptions to these rules. All applications MUST be signed or initialed electronically.
- For first year University students, we expect grades from at least the two (2) most recent marking periods for us to evaluate. If for whatever reason two is not readily available, please submit the last report from 6th form along with one from the university semester/term.
- Student admissions letter with your intended major, student ID# etc MUST be submitted. If there are issues, please contact PALAS. NOTE,Student ID # MUST be entered on the application form especially for university students….This is how your scholarship funds will be credited to your account at the institution.
- For references, please upload two (2) letter of recommendations. At least one (1) MUST be from your institution of learning. Other maybe from pastor, justice of the peace, professional etc.
- University/Tertiary student applicants MUST submit the name of high school attended.
- Gold Star Scholarship winners (for both High School and University) will be selected as the top standout candidate based on overall results.The student MUST exemplify an outstanding academic/community/essay along with the overall presentation of the application package to the PALAS committee. The winner will receive a tablet or laptop computer for this accomplishment along with the regular scholarship financial awards.
Peace and Love Academic Scholarship or PALAS
P.O. Box 5461
Alpharetta, GA 30023-5461
Updates on application deadline will be made available as soon its been announced, we encourage you to continue visiting this site for such information.
WE ALSO RECOMMEND THAT YOU VIEW THESE ARTICLES AS THEY TOO CONTAIN RELEVANT SCHOLARSHIP INFORMATIONS: