The Nigerian Federal Ministry of Education is inviting applications from qualified candidates for the Bilateral Education Agreement BEA Awards for Nigerians to study abroad. These Scholarships are available for candidates to pursue undergraduate and postgraduate programs abroad. This article is packaged as a guide to enable you register and win the BEA Awards this session.
BEA Awards for Nigerian Students 2019
The Federal Ministry of Education’s mission is to use education to foster the development of all Nigerian Citizens to their full potentials in the promotion of a strong, democratic, egalitarian, prosperous, indivisible and indissoluble sovereign nation. To achieve this they are offering the BEA scholarships to individuals who have met the required criteria to go outside the country and continue their studies.
Facts To Know About Bilateral Education Agreement Awards For Nigerians
Find below some of the details you will need to really apply and win the BEA awards.
Level/Field of Study:
- Undergraduate level –Engineering, Geology, Agriculture, Sciences,
Mathematics, Languages, Environmental Sciences, Sports, Law, Social
Sciences, Biotechnology, Architecture, Medicine (very limited), etc and
- Postgraduate level (Masters Degree and Ph.D.) in all fields.
The bilateral scholarship is to be taken Abroad in any of the countries listed below:
- Undergraduate (UG) studies is tenable in Russia, Morocco, Algeria, Serbia, Hungary, Egypt, Turkey, Cuba, Romania, Ukraine, Japan, Macedonia; and
- Postgraduate (PG) studies is tenable in Russia (for those whose first degrees were obtained from Russia), China, Hungary, Serbia, Turkey, Japan, Mexico, South Korea, etc)
The BEA awards scholarship is open to Nigerian citizens only or international students residing in the country.
According punchng.com the federal government of Nigeria sets aside N73,169,907 for the award of scholarships to 3,700 students in Nigerian universities, polytechnics and colleges of education in 2018.
The correspondent, who obtained this information from a breakdown of the 2018 budget for the Federal Ministry of Education, learned that another set of students, numbering 272, will be awarded scholarships to study in foreign countries that have the Bilateral Education Agreement with Nigeria.
The award and conduct of fresh 272 scholarships to Nigerians to study in countries that have Bilateral Education Agreement with Nigeria was put at N13,000,000.
Who is Eligible To Apply For The Bilateral Education Agreement BEA Awards for Nigerians to Study Abroad?
The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
- All applicants for undergraduate degree courses must possess a minimum qualification of Five (5) Distinctions (As & Bs) in the Senior Secondary School Certificates, WAEC (May/June) only in the subjects relevant to their fields of study including English Language and Mathematics.
Certificates should not be more than two (2) years old. For African
countries, the age of the certificate is one year only. Age limit is from 18 to
- All applicants for postgraduate degree courses must hold a First Class (1st Degree with at least 2nd Class Upper Division.) The applicants who are previous recipients of Foreign Awards must have completed at least two (2) years post qualification or employment practice in Nigeria. All applicants must have completed N.Y.S.C. Age limit is 35 years for Masters and 40 years for Ph.D. and only:
1.) N.Y.S.C discharge or exemption certificates only are accepted;
2.) Evidence of readiness to be released by the employer.
i) Since the BEA countries are non-English speaking, applicants should be
prepared to undertake a mandatory one-year foreign Language course of
the country of choice which will be the standard medium of instruction;
ii) Japan applicants must have a very strong background in further
iii) The required certificates for candidates applying for Iman Preachers and
Quaranic Professor for Islamic Religious studies in Algeria is WAEC as in
other scholarship awards;
iv) All applicants for the Hungarian Scholarship can apply for up to two fields of
study in order of preference; and
v) All applicants for Hungarian Scholarships must visit the website:
vi) Complete the application form online
Print the completed form and bring to the interview venue in addition to
Read also if you wish to study outside your home countrySimple and Detailed Answers about Applying and Winning a Scholarship.
How To Apply for the BEA Awards Scholarship
Candidates who wish to apply for this BEA award scholarship should submit two sets of completed application forms at the various JAMB CBT centers with the following attachments:
- Two sets of Photocopies of Educational Certificates and Testimonials of
previous schools attended with the originals for sighting;
- Only one certificate is accepted i.e WAEC of May/June for
- Two copies of Birth Certificate from National Population Commission;
- State of origin/LGA certificate duly signed, stamped and dated;
- Four (4) colored passport sized photographs on a white background; and
- Postgraduate applicants will be required to submit Academic transcripts and
NYSC discharge or Exemption certificates only.
NB: All eligible applicants are to report for interview at the venues scheduled for accreditation a day to the date scheduled for the examination. Candidates nominated by the Board will be required to submit to Federal
Scholarship Board the following:
- Authenticated copies of academic certificates;
- Data page of the current International passport; and
- Specified Medical Reports from Government hospitals
The application closes January every year.
WE ALSO RECOMMEND
Are you a Nigerian undergraduate or postgraduate student? Are you looking for a Scholarship? Check out this BEA Awards for Nigerians to Study Abroad 2019.