Last updated on April 23rd, 2018 at 08:00 am
Applications are currently been accepted for the Ocean Matters Scholarship for High School Student, USA 2018, eligible scholars are by this notice invited to hurry and apply
The Ocean Matters Scholarship Program is available for high school -aged students (ages 15 and older) to attend the Marine Science through Service project in Oahu, Hawaii this summer, July 21-31, 2017. The program will be hosted at the Hawaii Institute of Marine Biology (HIMB) of the University of Hawaii on Coconut Island off of Oahu. HIMB is the largest marine research facility in the U.S., where students will have front row seats to the latest technologies and research in marine biology.
Level and Area of Studies
Summer program for high school students in the field that related to ocean conservation.
Place of Study
- Have classroom and lab instruction in marine science provided by HIMB professional staff
- Have hands-on opportunity to apply lessons learned in the classroom to the marine environment
- Receive scuba instruction and Open Water certification
- Assist researchers in the field on a project related to ocean conservation
- Snorkel with Pacific white-sided dolphins in open ocean
- Dive daily on the coral reef with professional dive staff supervising
- Receive community service hours
Eigibility and Criteria
- High-school aged grades 9-12
- Minimally 15 years of age when the program begins and
- Need a moderate level of feelings, effective problem solving, develop leadership skills, receive scuba certification, receive 6-10 hours of community service credit
The U.S. citizens are welcome to apply.
To enter, supply a video that is no longer than 3- minutes and features why you would be a great candidate for this scholarship and why you feel the ocean matters along with a recommendation letter from a teacher addressing both your merit and financial need. Upload your video to a free google photos account. Once uploaded, click “share” and enter admissions-at-oceanmatters.org.
updates on deadline will be communicated soon