NRAO Jansky Fellowship 2020-2021
The National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO) offers the Jansky Fellowship Program 2020. This program offers future scientists many opportunities to gain a thorough understanding of the state of radio astronomy and to assert themselves as independent researchers innovative.
Jansky Fellows are encouraged to develop research collaborations with NRAO scientists, US university scientists and their colleagues in the international astronomical community. The starting salary for the 2020 Jansky Scholarship Program is $ 65,000 per year for a first two-year job, with a possible third-year extension.
The National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO) operates a complementary and state-of-the-art suite of four radio telescopes for the scientific community, irrespective of their institutional or national affiliation.
All Jansky Fellows are expected to spend at least 75% of their time on self-directed research. Jansky Fellows are also encouraged to spend 10-25% of their Fellowship on activities related to the development and delivery of radio astronomy techniques, capabilities, or outreach activities, using those opportunities to develop their own broad skill set.
All You Need To Know About Jansky fellowship
Level/ Field of Study
The Jansky fellowships are available to pursue postdoctoral programme. Candidates with interests in radio astronomy techniques, instrumentation, computation, and theory are encouraged to apply.
The Jansky Fellowship Program is open to International students.
Read also if you wish to study outside your home country Simple and Detailed Answers about Applying and Winning a Scholarship.
Jansky Scholarship Worth
The starting salary for the 2020 Jansky Fellowship program will be $67,500 per year for an initial two-year appointment with possible renewal for a third year. A research budget of up to $17,000 per year is provided for travel and computing support.
Fellows are also eligible for page charge support, vacation accrual, health insurance, and a relocation allowance. Up to $3,000 per year is provided to non-NRAO institutions hosting a Jansky Fellow to defray local institutional expenses.
Eligibility for Jansky fellowship program
The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the Jansky scholarship:
- The Jansky Fellowship Program supports outstanding postdoctoral scientists whose research is broadly related to the mission and scientific goals of the National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO), which operates two world-class research facilities: the Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array and the Very Large Array.
- As a Jansky Fellow, you will have a unique opportunity to contribute to and learn from the development and delivery of the largest and most capable radio telescopes in the world. Research that employs NRAO telescopes in multi-wavelength collaborations is encouraged.
- The NRAO Jansky Fellowship Program provides numerous opportunities for early career scientists to acquire deep knowledge and understanding of the state-of-the-art in radio astronomy and to establish themselves as innovative, independent research scientists.
- Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
How to Apply for Jansky Fellowship Program
Applicants must log in using the link provided: https://cw.na1.hgncloud.com/nrao/index.do
Jansky Fellowship Program supporting documents:
- Cover letter:
Please specify your proposed NRAO location or non-resident host institution, and your second choice location, which must be an NRAO site (Socorro or Charlottesville). If you are applying for a split fellowship as your first choice, please indicate both the NRAO location and host institution where you propose to spend your fellowship and the proposed fraction of time at each location.
If you wish to be appointed at a non-NRAO host institution as your first choice, you must also include a letter from the department chair that approves your research proposal and agrees to host your Jansky Fellowship at the selected institution.
- curriculum vitae:
Include a publications list, a summary of previous and current research, awards, etc. The summary of previous and current research must be a maximum of three (3) pages of text, including figures and references with 12 pt font.
- Research proposal:
Your proposed area of research, how it relates to NRAO’s mission, strategic goals, observatories and instruments. Your research proposal should address why having a Jansky Fellowship and therefore a strong linkage to NRAO scientists and facilities is important for achieving your research goals, and the development of your professional skills. Your research plan should also include a justification for your choice of hosting institution (NRAO or US University).
- A summary of previous and current searches (maximum 3 pages of text, illustrations and references included, font 12 points).
- A research proposal (maximum 4 pages of text, illustrations and references included, font 12 points) containing a plan for the host institution (NRAO or US University).
- Each candidate must arrange for letters of recommendation from three persons (“Presidents”), who are familiar with his / her scientific skills, to be presented directly to the Office of Science and University Affairs.
Application Deadline for Jansky Fellowship 2020
The deadline for receipt of all Jansky Fellowship application forms for 2020, including letters of recommendation, is Tuesday, November 1 annually.
Link for more information:
Questions or assistance regarding the application, as well as requests for additional information about the Jansky Scholarship Program, can be sent to Jansky2020-at-nrao.edu.
- Flemish Government Scholarships at the University of Antwerp in Belgium, 2020
- Department of Defense Stem Scholarship 2020 | USA
- 15 Scholarships for Cote D’Ivoire to Study in Australia 2020
- Aspiring Animation Professional Scholarship 2020
- Fully Funded Canadian Government International Scholarships,2020
- 19 PhD Scholarships for Congo Students 2020
- Pacific Prime International Scholarship Program in Singapore, 2020
- Indiana University Rising Star International Scholarship in USA 2020
- 15 Scholarships for Djiboutian students in Singapore
- 15 Scholarship for Central African to Study in Australia 2020