The 2020 New Colombo Plan Scholarship Program provides opportunities for Australian undergraduate students to undertake semester-based study and internships or mentorships in the participating Indo-Pacific locations.
In 2020, the New Colombo Plan will support Australian undergraduates to live, work and study in 40 locations across the Indo-Pacific region, including New Caledonia and French Polynesia. Around 120 to 150 scholarships are expected to be awarded for study in 2020.
University nominations are now open for the 2020 Scholarship round of the New Colombo Plan will open on the 17 June 2019 and close on 15 July 2020. However, the applications from nominated students open on 16 July 2019 and will close on 14 August 2020. Successful applicants will be announced at the awards function in late November.
More About the New Colombo Plan
The New Colombo Plan (NCP) is a flagship initiative of the Government of Australia, which aims to improve knowledge of the Indo-Pacific region in Australia by helping Australian undergraduate students to study and do internships in the region.
The objectives of the NCP Scholarship Program are:
- provide about 120 prestigious and highly competitive scholarships to a wide range of Australian university students studying a variety of disciplines;
- support more study experiences in a wide range of Indo-Pacific areas;
- encourage researchers to conduct long-term studies, language studies and internships and/or tutoring;
- involve researchers, Australian universities and other stakeholders in public diplomacy and outreach;
- continue to develop an active community of alumni to enable the past scholars to share their experiences, promote the NCP and continue to develop professional knowledge and connections with the Indo-Pacific region.
What type of study does the New Plan Colombo support?
The New Colombo Plan involves:
- a prestigious scholarships program for the study of up to one year and internships or mentorships, and
- a flexible mobility grants program for both short and longer-term study, internships, mentorships, practicums, and research.
All New Colombo Plan supported study must receive credit towards an Australian undergraduate degree.
Level/Field of Study
The scholarship is open to undergraduate students in various disciplines aged 18 to 28 studying at Australian universities. Also, the NCP has the capacity to include some students over 28 in the New Colombo Plan funded mobility projects.
We do you wish to further your studies after your graduation? Then, CLICK HERE FOR OUR NUMEROUS MASTERS SCHOLARSHIPS.
This scholarship is an initiative of the Australian Government, Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
The scholarship is open to Australian citizens.
There are limitless fundings for international students from various countries. READ MORE ON THE COUNTLESS INTERNATIONAL SCHOLARSHIPS HERE.
Before applying for a New Colombo Plan Scholarship, students should consider their personal financial circumstances and ensure that undertaking a Scholarship Program will not overextend them financially. Exchange rates can fluctuate. Also, the scholarship should be used as intended.
The New Colombo Plan Scholarship includes:
- tuition fees to cover the cost of study for up to one Academic Year (including student service and amenities fees), where Scholars are studying as fee-paying international students, up to a maximum of $20,000 ($10,000 per semester or $6,666 per trimester).
Note: These fees are payable directly to the Host Institution. Also, the scholarship will only provide for international tuition fees if no current exchange agreement place is available between the Home University and the Host Institution.
- Language training tuition fees, where incurred, of up to $1,500. Also, these fees are only for in-country language training and are payable directly to the language training provider.
- a travel allowance of $2,500 to contribute to costs associated with the Scholar’s travel to and from the Host Location.
Other Benefits include:
- an establishment allowance of $2,500 to contribute to the costs associated with the Scholar settling into their Host Location.
- a monthly stipend of $2,500 to contribute to the Scholar ’s basic living costs in their Host Location.
- health and travel insurance for the duration of their overseas Scholarship Program.
- a dedicated Case Manager for the duration of their Scholarship Program who provides services including pre-departure briefings, advice on health and travel insurance, advice and assistance relating to accommodation, and payment of allowances.
- New Colombo Plan Fellows (the top-ranked Scholar in each location and top-ranked IndigenousScholar) will receive an additional benefit of $1,000 to purchase study materials for use during their Scholarship Program.
To be eligible, applicants for the New Colombo Plan Scholarship 2020 must adhere to the following
- Have been nominated by their home university.
- Be an Australian citizen.
- Applicants cannot undertake their Scholarship in a Host Location in which they hold dual citizenship or permanent residency; or in which they have previously been a citizen or permanent resident.
- Be enrolled in units at an on-shore campus of an Australian University during the application process.
- Be between 18 and 28 years of age (inclusive) on 1 January 2020.
- Have achieved a minimum 70 percent grade average or equivalent for their undergraduate course at the time of application, as determined by the nominating Home University.
- Be undertaking a Bachelor Degree or Bachelor Honours Degree when the Scholarship Program commences.
- Not be a previous recipient of a New Colombo Plan Scholarship.
How to Apply
- Australian universities are to make their nominations via the New Colombo Plan Online website.
- Nominated students receive application guidance and an invitation to complete an online application form.
- Applicants gather supporting documentation and complete their application.
Submission of application for the New Colombo Plan 2020 closes11.30pm AEST on 14 August 2020.
For more information on the 2020 New Colombo Plan Scholarship Program, visit the link below:
- Navy ROTC Scholarships Program 2020
- $1,000 CarBrain Scholarship Program 2020 | UPDATED
- Endeavor Scholarships in Australia for International Students (UPDATED)
- 20 Women Scholarships at Macquarie University in Australia
- Edith Cowan University (ECU) International Masters Scholarship
- 50 Women in MBA Scholarships at University of Wollongong, Australia
Does this article meet your immediate needs? if yes, Leave us with a 5-star rating in the Review Box below. if no, leave a comment on the comment box to express your concern or ask the question and we will get back to you as soon as possible.