The Asia-Europe Foundation (ASEF) is delighted to launch the Mobility First! ASEF Cultural Mobility Initiative 2017. Through this new initiative, ASEF supports the mobility of artists and cultural professionals for cross-border activities that include participation in events, networking, research and collaborative meetings. Mobility support is provided to selected individuals for travel from Asia to
Europe, Europe to Asia & within Asia. Mobility First! Is being launched to commemorate ASEF’s 20th
anniversary in 2017 and builds on ASEF’s support to mobility over the last 20 years, including in particular through:
- Signing posting relevant mobility information through the Mobility Funding Guides and the Opportunities Section of our arts portal, culture360.ASEF.org;
- Funding the mobility of artists (working in contemporary artistic disciplines such as filmmaking,visual arts and performing arts) through Creative Encounters: Cultural Partnerships between Asia and Europe (6 editions between 2010-2016), ASEF Creative Networks (3 editions between 2014-2016), events supported by our arts portal, culture360.ASEF.org (2012-2016) and the Asia-Europe Art Camps (2003-2010);
- Funding museum directors, curators and educators through the Asia-Europe Museum Network (ASEMUS) since 2001;
- Individuals & organisations actively involved in the field of arts & culture who are eligible as per following guidelines: Individuals
- Artists & cultural professionals from any artistic genre (such as visual arts, performing arts, film, heritage etc.) may apply.
- Artists are defined as those directly involved in the production of artworks in any genre of the arts.
- Cultural professionals are defined as others working in the field of arts & culture such as curators, arts writers (including critics), arts managers, researchers etc.
- Applicants should be citizens of member countries of the Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM) 3 and seek support for travel within the ASEM region.
- Applicants may seek travel support to participate in any of the 7 types of eligible activities listed below in the section on
What types of activities are supported?
1. Participation in workshops, conferences, festivals, biennales, networking sessions
2. Participation in artists’/writers’ residencies
3. Participation in culture-related training
4. ‘Go and see’ or short-term exploration visits
5. Participation in practice-led research
6. Participation in partner meeting/s for exchanges and collaboration (to set up new cross-border collaborations)
7. Participation in transnational networks (to sustain and/or widen existing networks)
Travel regions & grant amounts
- Currently, the selection criteria for Mobility First! prioritises cultural mobility from Asia to Europe; from Europe to Asia; and, within Asia. All travel must be international.
- Successful applicants will be given up to a maximum of Singapore Dollars (SGD) 2,000 for for travel from Asia to Europe or Europe to Asia.
- Successful applicants will be given up to a maximum of Singapore Dollars (SGD) 1,000 for for travel within Asia.
- Additional funding is available for people with disabilities and special needs. Application & reporting processes
1. Individuals should complete the online application form at: https://asefculture.formstack.com/forms/applicationform
2. Organisations should complete the online application form at: https://asefculture.formstack.com/forms/applicationformorg
3. All applicants must ensure that the activity/event will commence at least 10 weeks after the application is submitted.
4. Successful applicants will be notified by ASEF within 4 weeks.
5. For individuals receiving support, the first 50% of the funding amount will be transferred after ASEF has received the signed Terms of Reference. The remaining 50% will be transferred post-travel and after ASEF receives the required post-event report.
6. In the case of organisations, ASEF will sign a Partnership Agreement with the selected organisation. The terms of funding will be agreed upon with the partner organisation & will be specified in the Partnership Agreement.
7. All individuals receiving mobility support are expected to complete an online post-event report no later than 4 weeks after travel has ended. The format of the online report can be found here: https://asefculture.formstack.com/forms/report
Ms Fatima AVILA
Project Executive, Culture Department
Asia-Europe Foundation (ASEF)