Applications are officially invited for the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program 2018 in South Africa. Only candidates from the Sub-Saharan African countries are eligible to apply.
The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program is a 10-year, $500 million global initiative to educate and develop next generation leaders who will contribute to social and economic transformation. The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program (MCFSP) targets academically qualified, yet economically disadvantaged young people in South Africa, SADC and the rest of Africa, who will contribute to the transformation of the continent. Community service is a necessary component of the Program with all students giving back to disadvantaged communities.
The Program provides a comprehensive scholarship, mentoring and counseling, academic support and access to work readiness skills.
Level/Field of Study:
Scholarship is for international students who wish to obtain an undergraduate degree in the university. Offer to study ranges across fields of Engineering, Economic and Management Sciences and Natural and Agricultural Sciences
All scholarships are taken in South Africa.
Scholarship is open to African students from the following countries.
Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Republic of the Congo, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, São Tomé and Príncipe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
These opportunities has value that includes
- Full tuition fees
- Accommodation in a UP residence
- Books and printed material
- A modest monthly stipend
- Medical aid (Ingwe only)
- Travel costs (one return trip for the duration of the study period)
- Cost of one visa application for the duration of the study period
MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program for African Countries Requirements:
- Candidates should be citizens from Sub-Saharan African country.
- Applicants should come from economically disadvantaged backgrounds and demonstrate financial neediness.
- Candidates should demonstrate leadership potential and ought to be involved in a giving back project eg. in a community, at school, church etc
- Academic excellence is paramount and students have to maintain a high academic average at all times.
- Candidates need to be first time applicants as first year students in the degree programme.
- Scholarship are for those students who have applied for and been admitted to one of the following undergraduate/Master’s degree study programmes at the University Faculty of EngineeringBEng (Industrial Engineering)
BEng (Chemical Engineering)
BEng (Civil Engineering)
BEng (Electrical Engineering)
BEng (Electronic Engineering)
BEng (Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering)
BEng (Mining Engineering)
BEng (Computer Engineering)Faculty of Economic and Management SciencesBCom (Accounting Science)
BCom (Financial Science)
BCom (Agribusiness Management)Faculty of Natural and Agricultural SciencesBScAgric (Food Science and Technology)
BScAgric (Agricultural Economics/Agribusiness Management)
BScAgric (Animal Science)
BScAgric (Plant Pathology)
BScAgric (Applied Plant and Soil Sciences)
How to Apply for the Scholarship:
- Apply online at www.up.ac.za/apply. Alternatively, you can submit a hard copy of your application form. For more information, dial +27 (0)12 420 4297/6621 or send an email to email@example.com for undergraduates and firstname.lastname@example.org for postgraduates enquiries.
- After your application has been submitted, it will be evaluated by members of the relevant faculty. The faculty will inform you whether you have been admitted.
- Once you have been admitted, please contact email@example.com to commence the process to apply for The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program immediately.
- Successful MasterCard Foundation Scholars should have a passport to enable them to apply for a visa promptly.
- Download the hard copy of the undergraduate or postgraduate application form below.
- Submit your MCFSP application from to firstname.lastname@example.org for undergraduates and email@example.com for postgraduates together with ALL supporting documents as stated on the first page of the application form
You can begin the application by clicking on Online Application
and get more details by clicking the Scholarship Link
The application deadline for the scholarship is September 15 of that academic year.
To access other opportunities, click