The Lasker Essay Contest
Albert and Mary Lasker Foundation is pleased to announce its Lasker Essay Contest to the young scientists and clinicians in a discussion about the big questions in biology and medicine, and the role of biomedical research in our society today. The contest aims to build skills in communicating important medical and scientific issues to broader audiences. First second and third winners will get $10,000, $5000 and $2500 respectively. First place winners will also get an expense-paid trip (economy class travel and one-night hotel stay) to New York to meet the 2017 Lasker Award winners (on September 15, 2017).
The mission of Albert and Mary Lasker Foundation is to improve health by accelerating support for medical research through recognition of research excellence, education, and advocacy.
- The contest is open to medical school students, interns, residents, and fellows, doctoral students and postdoctoral fellows in biomedical research, graduate students in public health programs and graduate students in other health professions programs.
- The 2017 Essay Contest is open to international applicants, including those from programs outside the U.S.
How to Apply:
You are invited to submit an essay of 800 words or less, written in English on the following topic: “Using at least one specific example, propose ways in which breakthroughs in biomedical research can be made part of the daily global dialogue, so that a much wider public becomes better informed and more supportive of biomedical research endeavors.”
- Essays should be of 800 words or less and should be written in English.
- The file containing the essay should include the essay title and the applicant’s name, email, and institutional affiliation.
- Figures and references are not required but one image (uploaded separately) and up to 10 references (included within the text body) may be submitted.
- Specific examples from the world of biomedical research should be included in your essay to illustrate your ideas more effectively. Field-specific scientific jargon should be avoided or explained.
Submit your essay through the given link: http://www.laskerfoundation.org/programs/lasker-foundation-essay-contest/essay-contest/?edit&language=en-us
Financial Aid and Award Money:
Awards are as follows:
- First-place award is $10,000 and an expense-paid trip (economy class travel and one-night hotel stay) to New York to meet the 2017 Lasker Award winners (on September 15, 2017).
- Second- and third-place prizes are $5000 and $2500, respectively. All monetary prizes are to be used towards educational expenses.
The deadline to submit all materials is April 3, 2017.
Link or More Information: