Lao Australia Scholarship 2019
The Australia Awards Scholarships are prestigious international awards offered by the Australian Government to the next generation of global leaders for development. Through study and research, recipients develop the skills and knowledge to drive change and help build enduring people-to-people links with Australia.
It is obvious that a lot of people do not know the meaning of the word Lao.
- Lao means a member of an indigenous people of Laos and NE Thailand.
- the language of the Lao, closely related to Thai, with about 3 million speakers.
- Lao, Laotian(noun) is a member of a Buddhist people inhabiting the area of the Mekong River in Laos and Thailand and speaking the Lao language; related to the Thais.
Before delving into Lao Australia scholarship, it would be nice to have a look at that of 2017…
New Australia Awards Scholarships
For over five decades now, Australia has built further on its investment in Laos’ human resource development needs with the award of 30 new tertiary scholarships.
The Hon Marise Payne Australia’s visiting Minister for Defence, and Lao Minister for Education and Sports, H.E. Sengdeuane Lachanthaboun, congratulated the 30 young Lao men and women selected in 2017 to study in Australia under Australia Awards scholarships at an official conferral ceremony in Vientiane.
Via Australia Awards scholarships, high achieving Lao women and men from the public and private sectors are allowed to undertake specialized, mostly higher degree courses at Australian universities.
The 30 awardees, which comprises of 15 women and 15 men will study subjects as diverse as IT, education, pharmaceutical science, environment, disabilities studies, engineering, and international development was scheduled to be studied by the 30 awardees- 15 men and 15 women
According to Australia’s Ambassador to the Lao PDR, John Williams, the 30 scholars were to begin their studies in 2018 and join a prestigious group of over 1,200 Lao citizens who have studied in Australia under the Australia Awards program and returned to Laos with world-leading tertiary qualifications.
Furthermore, he said that through study and research, the Australia Awards recipients would develop the skills and knowledge to drive positive change on their return to Laos, and help build enduring people-to-people links with Australia.
The Ambassador went further to say that professional development opportunity and provide an excellent platform for the recipient’s future careers will be open via learning through the Australia Awards.
He sais that these scholarships will also help develop greater two-way understanding between our two countries and professional networks of contact.
The Australia Awards scholarships of the year 2017 have extra significance as celebrating the 65 anniversary of Laos-Australia diplomatic relations was celebrated.
According to the Ambassador, the applicants that were successful had undergone a highly competitive and rigorous selection process to earn the scholarship and that each of the 30 Lao awardees had demonstrated academic excellence, and had undergone a highly competitive and rigorous selection process to earn a scholarship.
50 Australia Awards scholarships awarded in Laos
Christopher Pyne, Australian Education Minister presented 50 Lao students with Australia Awards Scholarships. These scholarships are managed by Coffey on behalf of the Australian Government through the Laos Australia Institute.
These 50 recipients will join over 1100 Lao citizens who have studied in Australia under the scholarship program and returned to Laos with world-leading tertiary qualifications.
According to Mr. Christopher Pyne, the program is an important part of Australia’s overseas development work, in Laos and across the Asia-Pacific region and the Australia Awards are invaluable in providing professional development opportunities for future leaders in developing countries.
The focus of these scholarships which are a central and long-standing part of Australia’s $60 million annual aid program in Laos, is on education and human resource development, rural development, unexploded ordnance clearance, natural resource management and trade and investment.
Formerly known as Australian Development Scholarships (ADS), Australia Award provides opportunities for people from developing countries, particularly those countries located in the Indo-Pacific region, to undertake full time undergraduate or postgraduate study at participating Australian universities and Technical and Further Education (TAFE) institutions.
The host institutions eligible for applying for this scholarship is any of the Participating Australian Institutions.
Level/Field(s) of study:
For the field(s) of study, the Undergraduate or Postgraduate Programme offered by applicants is that which are related to the country’s priority areas for development which are listed on the participating country profiles.
For training in areas related to flying aircraft, nuclear technology or military training, Australia Awards, Australia Awards are not available.
Number of Scholarships:
The number of scholarships offered by Australia Awards is not specified.
The target group that can apply for this scholarship are citizens of one of the participating countries in Asia, Pacific, Africa, and the Middle East. The know all target groups, the complete list of participating countries is to be consulted.
Scholarship Worth /inclusions/duration:
The benefits of this scholarship generally encompass: full tuition fees, return air travel, establishment allowance, contribution to living expenses (CLE), Overseas [7etc. The complete list of benefits is available on the official website.
The scholarships are offered for the minimum period necessary for the individual to complete the academic program specified by the Australian higher education institution, including any preparatory training.
Lao Australia Scholarship Eligibility:
To be eligible and startup in the process of becoming an awardee of Lao Australia Scholarship 2019, the following conditions are to be met:
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age at the time of commencing the Scholarship
- As listed on the Australia Awards website, applicants must be a citizen of a participating country and be residing in and applying for the scholarship from their country of citizenship
- They must not be married, engaged to, or a de facto of a person who holds, or is eligible to hold, Australian or New Zealand citizenship or permanent residency, at any time during the application, selection or mobilization phases (note: residents of Cook Islands, Niue, and Tokelau with New Zealand citizenship are eligible but must apply for a Student visa (subclass 500) and not be current serving military personnel
- They must not be a citizen of Australia, hold permanent residency in Australia or be applying for a visa to live in Australia permanently
- Unless they have resided outside of Australia for twice the length of the total time that they were in Australia, they must not be applying for another long-term Australia Award.
- Applicants must have satisfied any specific criteria established by the Program Area or the government of the applicant’s country of citizenship (e.g. having worked a certain number of years in an appropriate sector)
- They must be able to satisfy the admission requirements of the institution at which the award is to be undertaken
- To hold a Student Visa, they must be able to satisfy all requirements of the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.
- In order for the application to be properly and transparently managed, applicants must inform the Program Area of any connection or relationship to staff employed at Program Areas or with managing contractors.
The complete eligibility criteria is available in the Australia Awards Policy Handbook (PDF)
How to Apply for the Job:
Lao Australia scholarship 2019 Application is currently closed.
Applicants can carry out the following
- Find out the open and close dates for their country
- Select their country of citizenship/residency from the list of participating countries for specific information on eligibility, priority areas and how to apply.
The deadline for application varies per country. For most countries, the deadline is 30 April 2019 except for Cambodia (April 15), Kiribati (tbc), Laos (March 23), Papua New Guinea (February 28), Vanuatu (March 31).
For detailed and updated information on how to apply for this scholarship, It is important for applicants to read the ” how to apply page” and visit the country-specific pages, and the official website (link found below).
The Official Scholarship Website of Lao Australia scholarship: http://www.dfat.gov.au/people-to-people/australia-awards/Pages/australia-awards-scholarships.aspx
WE ALSO RECOMMEND:
- Latest Canada Scholarships for Undergraduates, Masters and PhD Programmes 2019-2020
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) in Canada, 2019
- Canada Graduate Scholarship(CGS) for Indigenous Students, 2018
- Top 15 International Scholarships for Nigerians to study in Canada 2019-2020
- List Of Canadian Scholarships for Chinese Students 2019-2020
- Top 20 Canada Scholarships for International students 2019-2020
- Top 15 Research Scholarships for International Students
Do you wish to study in Australia? There is an Opportunity currently ongoing for International Students tagged Lao Australia Scholarship 2019. This scholarship is worth full tuition fees, return air travel, establishment allowance, contribution to living expenses and many more. Rush now and send in your applications.