The University of Ghana, Legon, is delighted to call for applications for the Kwame Nkrumah Chair in African Studies 2020, eligible persons are hereby charged to hurry and apply for this program before the deadline.
About the Award
The KWAME NKRUMAH CHAIR IN AFRICAN STUDIES was established at the Institute of African Studies, the University of Ghana in honor of Dr. Kwame Nkrumah, Pan African luminary, and Ghana’s first president, for his contributions to the intellectual life of the African World, and for his projection of Africa on the world stage.
Level/ Field of Study
The Opening is a job opportunity meant for participants who are of African origin and desire to work in Unversity of Ghana, Legon and be recognized as a scholar or public figure with a strong understanding of African/Africana/Pan-African Studies.
The Scholarship is hosted in the Unversity of Ghana, Legon in Ghana. If you are an international student and you desire to study in Ghana. Check out the best scholarships obtainable for study in Ghana
The opportunity is opened to African Participants. Read also if you wish to study outside your home country Simple and Detailed Answers about Applying and Winning a Scholarship.
Salary will depend on the qualifications and experience of the successful applicant but will typically be at the level of Professor (disclosure upon shortlisting). The Chair will also be provided with:
- Return business class ticket or equivalent from his/her location to Accra.
- Airport picks up.
- Office accommodation including a computer, printer, internet access, and necessary office materials.
- A Research Assistant and/or other support staff.
- Accommodation and medical insurance.
- A research grant.
- We invite applications from suitably qualified candidates in any discipline relevant to the study and understanding of Africa.
- The successful Applicant will be a scholar or public figure who has a strong understanding of African/Africana/Pan-African Studies, has a strong research and publishing record, and has attained distinction in his or her discipline.
- He or she may also be a public intellectual or artist well versed in the indigenous knowledge and cultures of Africa.
Responsibilities: Applicants should be committed to pursuing their own research agendas, collaborating and sharing their expertise with other researchers, and developing interdisciplinary exchanges. Specifically, the Chair will be expected to:
- Deliver public lectures, including an inaugural lecture, which will be published by the University;
- Conduct research and/or create and establish a social or cultural project;
- Produce a publishable manuscript on the research emanating from the tenure, where appropriate;
- Prepare a report detailing the results achieved at the end of the tenure period;
- Assist the University to raise resources to grow the endowment for the Kwame Nkrumah Chair in African Studies;
- Assist in publicizing, and participate in the Biennial Kwame Nkrumah Intellectual and Cultural Festival.
Applicants should submit the following to the Secretary to the Search Party, Attention the Registrar, P. O. Box LG 25, Legon, and by email to: email@example.com:
- a cover letter expressing interest,
- a curriculum vitae,
- a proposal for the programme of work to be carried out during the period of the tenure
- (max 5 pages), and arrange to have three letters of reference sent directly to the Registrar.
Application forms (UAB form 1A) can be found at www.ug.edu.gh/hrodd
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted, and they may be invited for a face-to-face interview. The successful candidate will be informed by June.
The deadline for an application for the scholarship is March 31st.
To Obtain More Information and start the application, Visit the Program Webpage for Details
Important Notes: Applicants are responsible for ensuring that their files are complete by this date.
We also recommend other scholarship opportunities.
- The GE Scholarship for University of Ghana Students
- Fully Funded WASCAL Doctoral Research Programme in Climate Change and Land Use – Ghana
- KNUST/MasterCard Foundation Scholarship for Ghanaian & African Students
- Call for Papers: Human Migration, The African Diaspora, and the Future – New Jersey, USA
- University of Cambridge Centre of African Studies Research Fellowships
- ASC Leiden Visiting Fellowship Programme for African Students
Does this article meet your immediate needs? if yes, click the SHARE button to share with your friends. if no, leave a response on the comment box to express your concern or ask a question and we will get back to you as soon as possible.