BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – Logan Rysemus of the LSU men’s swimming and diving team and Sydney Ewing of the Tiger gymnastics team have been nominated for the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship by LSU.
The H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship has been presented by the Southeastern Conference since 1986 to the league’s top male and female scholar-athletes.
The Southeastern Conference will name the 2017 recipients of the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship on April 27.
Highlights of LSU’s nominees include:
LOGAN RYSEMUS, Men’s Swimming and Diving, LSU
Major: Political Science
- Maintained a 3.592 cumulative GPA and a 3.8 major specific GPA
- Two-time member of the SEC Academic Honor Roll · Will graduate in May with a degree in political science
- Three-time NCAA qualifier (2015, 2016, 2017)
- Qualified for two individual events (100 fly and 100 back) for the NCAA Championships his senior season (2017)
- Part of three relay teams competing at NCAA’s in the 200 and 400 medley relays, as well as the 400 free relay (2017)
- Became school’s sixth All-American in the 100 fly and third in the 100 back (2016)
- 10th swimmer in school history to earn All-America honors in two different events at same NCAA event (2016)
- Earned a silver medal in the 100 fly at the SEC Championships, breaking the school record after clocking at 45.19 (2016)
- Broke school record in the 100 backstroke with a time of 45.89, currently the 20th fastest time in the nation this season (2016-17)
- Part of the 200 medley and 400 medley relay squads that broke the school records this season (2017)
- Holds top-times on LSU’s all-time list in the 200 backstroke, 200 individual medley and 100 free.
- Took part in various community service activities such as: LSU Athletics Boo-Zar, Lunch with the Tigers and Christmas with the Tigers
- Has also volunteered for the LSU Thank-a-thon, the Louisiana Flood Relief and at a local animal shelter
- Two-time selection to the SEC Community Service Team (2015, 2016)
SYDNEY EWING, Gymnastics, LSU
- Three-time Academic All-American
- Three-time SEC Academic Honor Roll member
- Will graduate in May and begin working toward her master’s in occupational therapy at LSU Shreveport
- Major contributor to the LSU gymnastics program over the last four seasons
- Started career as preferred walk-on and earned scholarship after receiving All-America honors her freshman season
- Has earned All-America honors three different times
- Competed in all 27 meets on vault, beam and floor over the last 27 meets during her junior and senior seasons
- Either set or tied her career high seven different times over the last two seasons
- Played major role in team’s work in the community and Tiger Cup Awards, which is determined by a team’s finals ranking on the field, along with its cumulative grade-point average and community service hours
- President of the LSU Student-Athlete Advisory Committee and nominee for the 2017 SEC Community Service Tea
Each year, the SEC, in conjunction with AT&T, an SEC official sponsor, provides the league’s male and female McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship recipients with a $15,000 post-graduate scholarship. The 26 remaining male and female finalists for the award will also receive a $7,500 post-graduate scholarship.
The award recipients are chosen by a committee of Faculty Athletics Representatives from the 14 SEC institutions and are honored at the SEC Spring Meetings in Sandestin, Fla., in early June.
Last year’s McWhorter Award recipients were Forrest Gamble of the Ole Miss men’s golf team and Haylie McCleney of the Alabama softball team.