SEARCH FOR ANY SCHOLARSHIP HERE
JAXA International Top Young Fellowship (ITYF) in Japan.
Applications are invited for JAXA International Top Young Fellowship (ITYF) available for outstanding and highly motivated early-career researchers. These international fellowships will be awarded in any of the space science fields covered by the Institute of Space and Astronautical Sciences (ISAS) to work in Japan for 3 (extendable to 5) years. Applicants must have a PhD in natural science (by the end of May 2017) or equivalent or higher capabilities and less than 8 years of postdoctoral experience. Selected candidates will be invited for a seminar presentation at ISAS/JAXA in Japan. Full details:
School(Institutions/ Country): the Institute of Space and Astronautical Sciences (ISAS) | Japan
Level: Fellowships ( are available for early-career researchers to work in Japan for 3 (extendable to 5) years.)
Field(s): any of the space science fields covered by the Institute of Space and Astronautical Sciences (ISAS).
Deadline: Not later than 17:00 PM (JST) / 8:00AM (UTC) on Wednesday, May 31, 2017
Funded By: Institute of Space and Astronautical Sciences, Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (ISAS, JAXA).
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): JAXA International Top Young Fellowship is targeted for International researchers
‣ Award No: Few positions will be available.
‣ Scholarship Duration: The contract period is basically three (3) years. The contract shall be renewed every fiscal year. Three years later, when renewing the contract, the period can be extended up to five (5) years from the time of commencement through review by the ITYF Steering Committee, depending on funding and progress.
|‣ Scholarship covers: These international fellowships will include:
-Salary: The monthly salary is 791,000 JPY before tax deduction (equivalent to an annual salary of 94,920 USD at the exchange rate of 100 JPY /USD).
-Note: In order to support the recovery efforts of the Great East Japan Earthquake, a small salary reduction is temporarily applied to all employees of government-oriented agencies. This also applies to the ITYF, and a salary reduction of 6.79% is planned until March 2015. (Due to this reduction, present monthly salary is 737,000 JPY before tax deduction).
Research Fund: 2,500,000 JPY (25,000 USD at the above exchange rate). Including support for travel and research expenses, are prepared per fiscal year. Fellows may also apply for competitive research funds (e.g. JSPS’s Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research).
-Place of appointment: JAXA Sagamihara Campus (ISAS).
-Allowance: Housing and commutation allowances are provided, if fellows meet certain requirements according to JAXA’s rule.
-Working days: Monday-Friday, except Japanese national holidays, year-end and new year (December 29th – January 3rd).
-Paid leave: Annual leave, child-care leave and maternity leave, etc.
-Others: Employment insurance, health insurance, employees’ pension insurance, workers’ compensation insurance will be provided.|
‣ JAXA seeks for talented and motivated researchers who are willing to apply for the JAXA International Top Young Fellowship. The contract period is basically three (3) years.
‣ The contract shall be renewed every fiscal year. Three years later, when renewing the contract, the period can be extended up to five (5) years from the time of commencement through review by the ITYF Steering Committee, depending on funding and progress.
‣ Applicants must have a PhD in natural science (by the end of May 2017) or equivalent or higher capabilities, and less than 8 years of postdoctoral experience.
To apply for JAXA International Top Young Fellowship, applicants must:
‣ have a PhD in natural science (by the end of May 2014) or equivalent or higher capabilities, and less than 8 years of postdoctoral experience.
Selection Criteria: Not Known
‣ Successful applicants will be announced in Mid-September.
Scholarship Application Method
- The applicant must choose a research department most closely related to his/her area of specialization from the five (5) research departments and apply online from each link. (we do not accept applications sent by post or carried in personally) The applicant may be hired by a research department other than the one applied for. The applicant may apply to multiple departments.
- * For the activities of Research Departments, Laboratories, etc in ISAS, please refer to the following URL.
(1) Academic research on space astronomy and astrophysics
- (2) Academic research on solar system bodies including the sun and earth https://isas-appli-form.jaxa.jp/forms1/1490597752
【Interdisciplinary Space Science】
(3) Academic research on interdisciplinary areas covering multiple fields in space science and on new space science fields.
(4) Academic research on space flight related engineering technology and space systems https://isas-appli-form.jaxa.jp/forms1/1490597763
(5) Academic research on spacecraft related engineering technology, ground system technology and its application
‣ Applicants are required to apply Online.
‣ Application Documents and Submission
The following documents must be submitted for application. All documents must be in place to be considered for selection.
(1) Curriculum Vitae
(2) List of research activities, including published papers and other publications
(3) Outline of previous researches and future research plans(*) *If there is an ISAS researcher whom you wish to be your collaborator, please specify his/her name. Likewise, if you wish to collaborate with researchers inside and/or outside ISAS, please specify their names and affiliations.
(4) Three (3) major research papers
(5) Three (3) reference letter with signature of referee(*) 3.
*Referees do not have to be JAXA/ISAS researchers
*E-signatures are acceptable
Please refer to the application instructions on the websites listed above.
All files must be uploaded in pdf format.
Documents (2) and (3) should be saved in one pdf file, and (4) in one pdf file. Document “(5) Reference letter” must be uploaded personally by the referee to the reference letter website (a request e-mail will be sent to the referee’s e-mail address submitted by the applicant).
‣ Scholarship Application Due Date: Not later than 17:00 PM (JST) / 8:00AM (UTC) on Wednesday, May 31, 2017
All application documents including reference letters must be submitted by the above date. (please keep in mind that last-minute applications will leave very short time for referees to prepare reference letters)
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.