Applications are called for the ongoing Intra-Africa GENES Masters and PhD Scholarships for Africans, 2018. GENES is funded by the Intra-Africa Program of the Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency (EACEA) of the European Commission.
GENES will foster diversity and gender equity at the workplace. Therefore, women and persons from underprivileged groups are especially encouraged to apply.
Field of study:
Scholarships are for study Mobility for plant genomics scholars to accelerate climate-smart adaptation options and food security in Africa / GENES.
- In line with Agreement with Intra-Africa Mobility Scheme of EACEA, the scholarship will cover:
- Round trip flight ticket and visa costs (using a preferred travel agent and calculated against direct linear distance);
- Direct participation costs such as tuition fees, registration fees and service fees where applicable;
- Comprehensive travel insurance (Health, Accident and Travel) }
- A monthly subsistence allowance for the mobility period.
To be taken in(Country):
Scholarship Number :
Currently, 10 PhD and 20 Masters scholarships are available.
The GENES mobility grant is open to all students from any of the partner universities (Target Group 1) and to students from other African universities (Target Group 2).
Target Group 1: This category includes students enrolled (for M.Sc application) or graduated (for PhD application) from all partner universities as follows:
- Ebonyi State University; Nigeria
- University of Abomey-Calavi; Benin
- Jimma University; Ethiopia
- University of Yaounde 1
Target Group 2: Students from all African countries
To be eligible for this scholarship you must meet the following requirements:
- Be a national and resident in any of the eligible countries covered by the Intra-Africa Mobility programme of the EACEA, and
- Register to or have an HEI degree (or equivalent) from one of the HEIs included in the GENES consortium (Target group 1)
- An HEI not in the GENES consortium but establish in an eligible country (Target group 2).
- Have sufficient knowledge of the language of the courses in the host countries.
- students with one-year post-B.Sc but not yet in any of the Partner HEIs is also eligible to apply. However, mobility will begin in the second year of the study, i.e. sponsorship from GENES will be for research work, only.
- Applicants whose first language is not English are to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level by the University.
30th May 2018
Applicants should submit complete application and all supporting documents by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy to Mr Dennis Okporie, email@example.com, by 30 May 2018.
They should indicate in the subject line (if submitting by email) or super scribe the envelope (if submitting by post) ‘Application for GENES MSc/PhD programme’.
Other necessary documents are:
- Cover letter
- Scholarship Application form (download from GENES website)
- Student proposal (guidelines available from GENES website)
- National ID or Copy of Passport Data page
- Certificate of degree
- Transcript records
- Support letter from sending HEIs
- Recommendation letter of home supervisor (mandatory for all applicants)
- Enrollment proof in degree course from home institution (for MSc applicants)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Employment certificate (only for staff)
- Certificate of English or French language skills
- Proof of socio-economic vulnerability (if available)
You can begin the application by clicking on Scholarship Link
and get more details by clicking the
To access other opportunities, click Africa Scholarships