Applications are currently available for PhD Scholarships at Deakin University for domestic and international students. There are two types of scholarships: the RTP scholarships (previously APA) are funded and awarded by the Australian Federal Government, while the DUPR scholarships are funded and awarded by Deakin University.The scholarship is to be taken in Australia and all Applicants are advised to read through the eligibility criteria carefully.Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
Deakin University is a university with approximately 50,644 higher education students in 2014. Established in 1974, the University was named after the leader of the Australian federation movement and the nation’s second Prime Minister, Alfred Deakin.
Course Level: Scholarships are available for pursuing PhD programme.
Study Subject: Scholarships are awarded to study the subjects offered by the university.
- A stipend of $26,682 per annum tax exempt (2017 rate)
- A relocation allowance from $500 to $1,500 (2017) awarded to students who are moving from interstate or overseas in order to study at Deakin
- 12 weeks paid sick leave
- 12 weeks paid parental leave
- Tuition fee and overseas health coverage for international students for the duration of 4 years.
Scholarship can be taken in Australia
- Applicants must meet Deakin’s research degree entry requirements, be enrolling full-time and hold an Honours degree (First Class) or a Master’s degree with a substantial research component in a related field.
- Applicants who have commenced their research degree must have at least 2/3 of their equivalent candidature remaining.
- Applicants applying for Research Masters or Research Doctorate must not hold an equivalent research qualification.
The primary criterion is a high standard of Honours (a year of assessed research following an undergraduate course) or its equivalent. Equivalence could include:
- Research Master’s degree with at least 2/3 of the degree comprising a thesis graded at 80%+
- Coursework Master’s degrees or graduate diplomas that include a research project or thesis of 10,000 to 20,000 words, to 80%+ standard, and research methodology units
- Comparable qualifications from international universities including a research project or thesis of 10,000 to 20,000 words and a GPA with an 80%+ standard
- Relevant postgraduate research experience
- Independently refereed journal articles, publications, or conference papers
- Professional reporting or prior learning
- Research related awards or prizes
- Other evidence of research ability.
Nationality: Scholarships are available to domestic and international students.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must meet Deakin’s PhD entry requirements, be enrolling full time and hold an Honours degree (First Class) or a Master’s degree with a substantial research component in environmental microbiology.
English Language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
How to Apply: Students need to apply via the online Higher Degree by Research Application Form. They will be required to attach a number of certified supporting documents, in addition to your research proposal and referee reports. The process for scholarship applications is different for each faculty/institute. Some faculties/institutes require an Expression of Interest form to be submitted prior to submitting a full application via the online Higher Degree by Research Application Form.
Application Deadline: The opening/closing dates for scholarship applications are different for each faculty/institute. The dates may vary depending on whether students are applying as a domestic or international applicant.
- Faculty of Arts and Education: October 31, 2017
- Faculty of Business and Law: September 30, 2017
- Faculty of Health: October 31, 2017 (Domestic Applicants) and July 31, 2017 (International Applicants)
- Faculty of Science, Engineering and Built Environment: October 31, 2017
- Institute for Frontier Materials: October 31, 2017