Offers are now available for the 2017 PhD Research Fellowships at IEG for International Students in Germany, and applications will be on submission till August 15 2017. The Leibniz-Institute of European History (IEG) is pleased to offer research fellowships in history, theology and other historical subjects. These fellowships are given to pursue PhD programs on research projects for up to 12 months and for a research stay in Mainz from January 2015 or later for at least 6 months. Applicants from international students are welcome for these fellowships. Applicants should not have pursued their PhD-work for more than three years when taking up the fellowship and should have a sufficient command of German so as to participate in discussions at the Institute. Eligibility criteria is of the essence.
School(Institutions/ Country): | Germany
Level:Fellowships ( available for PhD students to pursue their individual research projects.)
Field(s): history, theology and other historical subjects.
Deadline: August 15 2017.
Funded By: The Leibniz-Institute of European History (IEG)
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): 2015 PhD Research Fellowships at IEG is targeted for International Students
‣ Award No: Not Specified
‣ Scholarship Duration: Research fellows live and work for at least 6 months and up to 12 months at the Institute in Mainz and can pursue their individual PhD-project.
‣ Scholarship covers: Funding is € 1.200/month. They are also invited to collaborate with the academic staff of the IEG, according to their particular fields and interests. The Institute’s specialist library and the wider academic infrastructure of Mainz are available to them for their research.
‣ The PhD Research Fellowships at IEG awards research fellowships for international junior scientist in history, theology and other historical subjects.
‣ The IEG promotes research on the historical foundations of Europe from the early modern period to contemporary history, particularly their religious, political and social dimensions.
‣ Projects dealing with European communication and transfer processes as well as projects focusing on questions related to theology, church history and intellectual history are particularly welcome.
PhD Research Fellowships at IEG Applications are invited from doctoral candidates of any national background.
‣ Applicants must have a first degree in history, theology or another historical subject.
‣ They should not have pursued their PhD-work for more than three years when taking up the fellowship.
‣ PhD-theses continue to be supervised and are completed under the auspices of the fellows’ home universities.
‣ Fellows are obliged to register officially in Mainz and to reside and take part in events at the Institute.
‣ They should have a sufficient command of German so as to participate in discussions at the Institute.
‣ Fellows are not permitted to undertake paid work while receiving the IEG-scholarship.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Please send your application via e-mail (ieg3-at-ieg-mainz.de) to: Institute for European History.
Application for Doctoral Research Fellowships:attachments in the following order:
a. Completed application form
b. a tabular curriculum vitae
c. a list of academic publications if you have any
d. a description of the research project including the structure of the dissertation and a workplan and schedule for the proposed research stay in Mainz (5 pages /15,000 characters excluding spaces)
e. copies of university transcript and proofs of language competence
ATTENTION: Please ensure that any attachments are pdf files.
The primary academic advisor emails an up-to-date reference directly to the IEG by the application deadline to: [email protected]
The reference should discuss (please avoid a general letter of recommendation):
– The applicant’s academic qualifications
– Topic matter, goal and current state of the PhD project
– A synopsis of work to be done in Mainz along with possible time and work schedules
Specialist evaluations should contain information on the question, method, results and representation of your research project, and they should also give an evaluation with regard to the current state of research on the topic.
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on August 15 2017
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.