The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is calling applications from African students to apply for it’s a three-year research grant funded by International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD).
Up to 20 are available Fellowships to promote research on “youth engagement in agribusiness and rural economic activities in Africa”.
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a non-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity.
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: African students are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must meet the following conditions:
- The research will be carried out in the following countries: Benin, Cameroon, Democratic Republic of Congo, Malawi, Morocco, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, Senegal, and Zambia.
- Applicants must not be more than 40 years old at the time of application.
- Applicants must be a young scholar at a research institute or university in Africa or a student registered in a Ph.D. or Master’s program in recognized universities in Africa, majoring in agricultural economics, agribusiness, or economics or a related social science, and must have finished their university coursework.
- The duration of the research should not exceed 6 months.
English Language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
- Application deadline: February 28, 2018
- Course Level: Fellowships are available to pursue research.
- Study Subject: Fellowships to promote research on “youth engagement in agribusiness and rural economic activities in Africa”.
- Scholarship Award:
- Awards for Research Grants are up to $10,000 (Proposals with a reasonable higher budget can also be selected depending on the quality of the research proposal).
- Grantees will be supervised by one IITA scientist in close collaboration with their national/university supervisor.
- Grantees will be offered training on research methodology, data management, and scientific writing;
- Grantees will be offered training on production of research evidence for policy-making.
- Nationality: African students
- Number of Scholarships: Under the framework of this project, IITA is pleased to announce 20 research fellowships for 2018.
- Scholarship can be taken in The research will be carried out in the following countries: Benin, Cameroon, Democratic Republic of Congo, Malawi, Morocco, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, Senegal, and Zambia.
How to Apply: Applications must be submitted electronically in English or French, by email to IITA-TrainingUnit-at-cgiar.org. Applicants will be asked to enter specific information in text boxes and upload documents in PDF format. The deadline for submission is 23:59 WAT, 28 February 2018. Applicants are encouraged to submit proposals in advance of the deadline.
To apply for the Research Fellowship, applicants must submit the following:
- Completed application form (download application form here).
- Copy of the passport or another statement of citizenship.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV), work history and education. CVs should be no longer than two pages.
- Proof of registration at an accredited university for MSc and PhD programs.
- Proof of employment at a research institute or university in Africa.
- Research proposals should be organized in the order listed below, and page limitations for components must be observed. Please include your last name and first initial in the uploaded document’s name (example: LastName_FirstInitial_proposal.pdf). The Research proposal must include the following components in one PDF document.