Are you a college student that wants to embark on an education tour in India? If your destination requires a visa on arrival, then you don’t need to worry, this article will give you simple procedures to get an Indian Student Visa fast.
Student visas are granted to people who come to India and want to study at an officially recognized educational institution. This includes the study of yoga, Vedic culture and the Indian system of dance and music.
The main document that is required are approval / registration papers from the institution.
What is an Indian Student Visa?
The Indian student visa is issued to foreign students who wish to undergo an educational study or internship in one of India’s higher institutions of learning.
These student visas are short-term visas usually ranging from 3 months (short-term courses and internships) to 3 years (for doctoral degrees) that allows the student to visit and stay in India for the total time duration of the educational course applied for at the Indian institution, college or university.
The duration of the student’s stay shouldn’t be more than five years.
Indian missions/posts grant student visas for a period of five years or for the duration of the course of studies, whichever is lower, to the following:
- For foreign students who come to India to study in India regularly and full-time.
- For foreign students who come for industrial training, summer projects and internships.
- Temporary student visa with a validity of six months for students examining admission or taking admission tests.
- The applicant should have proof of admission to a regular full-time course at a reputable / accredited educational institution in India as well as proof of financial support.
- The applicant should also have a No Objection Certificate from the Department of Health in the event that they are accepted into a medical or paramedical course.
- Spouses and dependent family members accompanying the applicant must apply for an entry visa (not a tourist visa). The cancellation date coincides with the period of the main visa holder.
What are the requirements for an Indian Student Visa?
India requires visas for the nationals of most countries, with the exception of Bhutan, Maldives, and Nepal. Requirements specific to student visas are listed below:
- An international passport
which must be valid for at least 6 more months and contain at least two blank pages, including a visa page. The applicant is expected to make a photocopy of the bio-data page of their international passport.
- Two plain white background passport-size photographs of the size 50 mm X 50 mm (2-inch x 2 inches).
- Completed visa application form
correctly filled and duly signed by the applicant.
- Offer letter from the host institution
indicating that the applicant has been admitted into the institution for a particular program.
For students not yet accepted to a school in India, A three-month provisional visa is available for students who have applied but are yet to receive an admission offer from the school.
In this case, a letter from the host institution confirming that the student has applied is necessary to obtain a provisional visa and the admission has to be finalized within the 3-months validity period of the provisional visa.
- Proof of financial support adequate to cover the applicant’s tuition and living expenses in India. This document must be gotten from the applicant’s parents or guardian inclusive of a government-issued ID card and a certified bank account statement of the last three months issued by the parents/guardian’s bank in his/her name.
- In the case of scholarships, fellowships or any other means of sponsorship, a letter of financial consent properly addressed, stamped and signed by the sponsor.
- Contact Details
Applicants must provide their own contact details including the contact address, phone number, and e-mail address. It is important to note that the visa application will be refused if any of this information is found to be false.
- Other supporting documents
necessary for the application include: Copies of the applicant’s previous educational qualification such as high school certificate, undergraduate transcripts, diploma, etc., Applicant’s birth certificate, and vaccination certificates where applicable.
India does not require proof of insurance for a student visa. However, it is advisable that applying students should still purchase health insurance to protect them in the event that something happens.
How much do I need to process my Indian student visa?
The India Student student visa is usually a multiple-entry visa for the student’s period of study. US citizens can expect to pay $108 for a one year visa. EU citizens pay $88 for a one year visa.
Nigerians can expect to make a visa fee payment of $252.00 including a surcharge of $2.00. It is important to note that these fees are subject to change and are non-refundable.
The step by step procedure to get an Indian Student VISA
The visa application process includes five stages as follows;
- Log on to (https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/index.html) to fill your online visa application form and print out the form after you must have completed and cross-checked for errors. It is important for you to be sincere, transparent, and honest while filling the form to avoid being denied your visa.
- Proceed to make your India student visa application fee payment at the Indian High Commission in your country. In Nigeria, payment is only accepted at the Sterling Bank counter in the Indian High Commission premises in Abuja or Lagos (for Nigerians).
- Submit your signed application form and all other required supporting documents to the consular officer at the Indian High Commission in your country.
- Attend your visa interview and provide extra documentation if needed. You are advised to be as calm and honest as possible during the interview process.
- Proceed to where you will be issued your visa from the Indian High Commission
In Nigeria, Visa application submissions are between 10:00 AM to 12:00 AM on all working days. Please kindly check the embassy websites of other countries to know the exact time.
- Top 25+ Frequently Asked Questions and Answers for Student Visa Interview
- New Zealand Student Visa: Step by Step Procedures In 2020
- Australia Student Visa: Step by Step Procedures in 2020-2021
Does this article meet your immediate needs? If yes, leave us with a 5-star rating in the Review Box below. However, if no, leave a response on the comment box to express your concern or ask a question and we will get back to you as soon as possible.