SEARCH FOR ANY SCHOLARSHIP HERE
What is the Indian Student Visa?
The Indian student visa is issued to a foreign students who wish to undergo an educational study or internship in one of India’s higher institutions of learning.
These student visas are short-term visas usually ranging from 3 months (short-term courses and internships) to 3 years (for doctoral degrees) that allows the student to visit and stay in India for the total time duration of the educational course applied for at the Indian institution, college or university.
The duration of the student’s stay shouldn’t be more than five years.
What are the requirements for an Indian Student Visa?
India requires visas for the nationals of most countries, with the exceptions of Bhutan, Maldives, and Nepal. Requirements specific to student visas are listed below:
- An international passport
which must be valid for at least 6 more months and contain at least two blank pages, including a visa page. The applicant is expected to make a photocopy of the bio-data page of their international passport.
- Two plain white background passport-size photographs of the size 50 mm X 50 mm (2 inch x 2 inch).
- Completed visa application form
correctly filled and duly signed by the applicant.
- Offer letter from host institution
indicating that the applicant has been admitted into the institution for a particular program.
For students not yet accepted to a school in India, A three month provisional visa is available for students who have applied but are yet to receive an admission offer from the school.
In this case a letter from the host institution confirming that the student has applied is necessary to obtain a provisional visa and the admission has to be finalized within the 3-months validity period of the provisional visa.
- Proof of financial supportadequate to cover the applicant’s tuition and living expenses in India. This document must be gotten from the applicant’s parents or guardian inclusive of a government issued ID card and a certified bank account statement of last three months issued by the parents/guardian’s bank in his/her name.
- In the case of scholarships, fellowships or any other means of sponsorship, a letter of financial consent properly addressed, stamped and signed by the sponsor.
- Contact Details
Applicants must provide their own contact details including the contact address, phone number and e-mail address. It is important to note that visa application will be refused if any of these information is found to be false.
- Other supporting documents
necessary for the application include: Copies of the applicant’s previous educational qualification such as high school certificate, undergraduate transcripts, diploma, etc., Applicant’s birth certificate, and vaccination certificates where applicable.
India does not require proof of insurance for a student visa. However, it is advisable that applying students should still purchase health insurance to protect them in the event that something happens.
How much do I need to process my Indian student visa?
The India Student student visa is usually a multiple-entry visa for the student’s period of study. US citizens can expect to pay $108 for a one year visa. EU citizens pay $88 for a one year visa.
Nigerians can expect to make a visa fee payment of $252.00 including surcharge of $2.00. It is important to note that these fees are subject to change and are non-refundable.
The step by step procedure to get an Indian Student VISA.
The visa application process includes five stages as follows;
- Log on to (https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/index.html) to fill your online visa application form and print out the form after you must have completed and cross-checked for errors. It is important for you to be sincere, transparent and honest while filling the form to avoid being denied your visa.
- Proceed to make your India student visa application fee payment at the Indian High Commission in your country. In Nigeria, payment is only accepted at the Sterling Bank counter in the Indian High Commission premises in Abuja or Lagos (for Nigerians).
- Submit your signed application form and all other required supporting documents to the consular officer at the Indian High Commission in your country.
- Attend your visa interview and provide extra documentation if needed. You are advised to be as calm and honest as possible during the interview process.
- Proceed to where you will be issued your visa from the Indian High Commission
In Nigeria, Visa application submissions are between 10:00AM to 12:00AM on all working days. Please kindly check the embassy websites of other countries to know the exact time.