Entries for the Honjo International Scholarship are now accepted. Students from all nations, except Japan, are welcome to apply. He or she must be attending graduate program at any Japanese university. This year, up to 20 awards will be awarded. Each of those covers a monthly stipend ranging from ¥150,000 to ¥200,000.
This scholarship is open to foreign students who will attend a graduate school at a Japanese university. The Honjo International Scholarships recipients are under no obligation to repay the amount they receive from our Foundation. The student is not permitted to receive any other scholarship in conjunction with the scholarship offered by the Honjo International Scholarship Foundation.
Value and Tenure
The winning candidates will receive benefit as follow:
– ¥200,000 per month for 1 or 2 years
– ¥180,000 per month for 3 years
– ¥150,000 per month for 4 or 5 years
Level and Area of Studies
Graduate degree (Master and Doctoral) in any field.
Place of Study
The study will be taken in Japan.
Eligibility and Criteria
In order to be qualified candidates, students must meet the given criteria as follow:
- The student does not possess Japanese citizenship.
- The student must be registered to attend or applying for a graduate school starting from April 1, 2017.
- Students enrolled in a PhD Program must have been born after March 31, 1981.
- Those enrolled in a Master’s Program must have been born after March 31, 1986.
- The student must be able to assure the committee that he or she will be able to secure employment in their home country after graduating from a graduate school. This does not require him or her to have employment guaranteed or to return his or her home country immediately after graduating the university, but he or she is expected to have strong will of working inhis or herhome country in the future.
- The student must have a deep understanding of international friendship and goodwill, andmust be able to attend the events organized by the foundation and take part in the network as an alumni member.
- The student must be able to carry an everyday conversation in Japanese. Interviews will be conducted in Japanese.
Deadline: September 1 ～ October 31, 2017
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Please visit the below link “Online Application”and fill a form, and get your application number.
‣ Awarded candidates’ application numbers are announced on website on January 31, 2016 so be advised to save the number you got.
‣ Write down the application number on the application form and send the documents listed below to the Administration Office by post mail.
To be sent by E-mail is not acceptable.
‣ Scholarship application form; make sure to attach your photo to the form as instructed.
‣ Your resume
‣ Personal information form
‣ Academic transcript: Please provide the transcript i) from undergraduate course of the university where you graduated and ii) any other courses that you are currently taking or have taken in the past. If you transferred into the university, the transcript from the previous school is needed. All the applicants must provide at least i) the academic transcript from undergraduate course. Photocopies are acceptable.
‣ Research plan: In Japanese, describe focusing around following four points; i) an outline of your research; ii) projected schedule between now and graduation; iii) plans and goals for the future; iv) research you have conducted in the past (if any). There is no limit on the number of pages or style. Either typed or hand-written is available.
‣ One recommendation letter from a professor. (This confidential letter should mention the applicant’s academic achievements, character/personality, and his or her potential for the future.) There is no limit on the number of pages or style.
‣ If your former professor knows about you well, you can ask him/ her for your recommendation letter.
‣ A certificate of enrollment or a letter of admission. In case that entrance examination will not be held, or successful candidates of the entrance examination will not be announced before he or she applies for this scholarship, write down the scheduled date of examination or announcement on the bottom of application form. If you are already enrolling into a graduate school, please provide a certificate of current enrollment. (Photocopies are acceptable.)
‣ Please prepare those documents in Japanese or English. If you have your documents in other languages, please attach either Japanese OR English translation. Have application forms written in Japanese.
Application Period: September 1 ～ October 31, 2017
- ApplicationGuideline for Application (WORD）WORD29KBDOWNLOAD
- Guideline for Application (PDF）PDF311KBDOWNLOAD
- Application Form (WORD) ※WORD22KBDOWNLOAD
- Application Form (PDF) ※PDF94KBDOWNLOAD
- CV (WORD) ※WORD18KBDOWNLOAD
- CV (PDF) ※PDF82KBDOWNLOAD
- Personal Statement (WORD) ※WORD17KBDOWNLOAD
- Personal Statement (PDF) ※PDF79KBDOWNLOAD
‣ Scholarship Applications are due date: September 1 ～ October 31, 2017
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.