How To Get Quality Tertiary Education in Holland | Universities in Holland | tuition fee for universities in Holland | studying in Holland
If what you’re looking for is a country that offers high standard tertiary education with affordable tuition and living expenses, then you should consider studying in Holland. Here, we have put down the way on How To Get Quality Tertiary Education in Holland.
Don’t close this tab!
Holland is the generic name commonly used to refer to the Netherlands. The Western Europe country is made up of twelve Dutch provinces that share a border with Germany, Belgium, and the North Sea. Holland also shares borders with France, Berlin and the United Kingdom.
Holland is one of the European countries where you can get quality tertiary education without putting a hole in your pocket. Whether it’s an undergraduate or postgraduate program you seek to run, Holland provides a wide range of cost-effective universities.
The country’s universities are ranked twelfth in the world, with a conducive study environment for all students. Little wonder a large number of international student studying in the country; Holland has recorded over ninety thousand international students. It is said that the majority of the student in the country are from different countries.
How To Get Quality Tertiary Education in Holland
In this article, we shall explain all that’s required to study in Holland: the tuition fee, cost of living, choice of university, admission requirements, how to apply and many more.
The tuition fee for universities in Holland is far cheaper than what you would find in most English speaking European countries. For EU students on part-time studies, the tuition fee is set around one thousand, seven hundred and six Euros, while full-time EU student pays a tuition fee of one thousand, nine hundred and fifty Euros per year.
On the other hand, if you are a non-EU student studying in Holland the tuition fee for universities in Holland per annum is between six thousand to fifteen thousand euros for undergraduate students and eight thousand to twenty thousand Euros for postgraduate students. Furthermore, you get to pay an application fee of fifty to one hundred Euros depending on the university and course/program you are applying for.
Cost of living
This is another area where you are at an advantage as a student in Holland. The cost of living is relatively low. From experience, most students in Holland spends approximately eight hundred to one thousand and one hundred Euro on a monthly basis. As a student, the cost of living comprises of cost of housing, food, books, transportation, cinema, clothes, and other necessities.
Another factor that determines the cost of living in Holland is your city of residence. For instance, a student who stays in large cities like Amsterdam gets to pay more housing cost as compared to those who stay in smaller cities. However, with a proof of your student identity card, you can earn some really cool discounts from restaurants, bars, cinemas, and museums, etc. these discounts go a long way in reducing the cost of living.
The basic cost may include:
- Housing: three hundred to six hundred Euros per month (depending on the area).
- Food: two to ten Euros per meal.
- Transport: bus ticket cost just two Euros.
Admission requirements for studying in Holland may depend on the particular institution you intend to apply to. The requirement also varies for undergraduate programs and postgraduate programs.
Most universities in Holland will require you to present a secondary school diploma or any other relevant qualifications before you can be admitted for an undergraduate program (Bachelor). On the other hand, if you intend to run a master’s program in Holland you will need to provide an undergraduate degree diploma (Bachelor’s). Having knowledge of this will help you know How To Get Quality Tertiary Education in Holland.
English is the language of instruction in most universities in Holland. Therefore, you will be required to have a good command of reading, spoken and written English. The test design to prove English proficiency includes: TOEFL, where a student must have a minimum score of five hundred and fifty (paper-based) or two hundred and thirteen (computer-based) and IELTS, where students must score a minimum of six. Other English tests may be required as specified by individual institutions.
How to apply for admission
Most universities in Holland will not conduct a separate entrance test for new students besides the documents they are required to have. You are required to visit your preferred university’s website to get specific details on the application procedure.
Generally, the application starts by submitting relevant documents to the international office in your home country, after which some institution will require you to register for your program via studies link tool (others will require application directly through the school’s website).
The next step will require you to use your login details from studies link tool to access the school application portal and apply for admission. Upon submission of application and relevant documents, the school will notify you of acceptance if you have met all the requirements.
Required application documents
- Secondary (High) school leaving certificate along with a list of subject for undergraduate programs
- Bachelor degree certificate along with a list of subjects for a master’s program
- Result of relevant English tests (TOEFL, IELTS), this applies to students from non-native English speaking countries.
- Result of Dutch language test NT2, this only applies to students who intend to study a program in Dutch.
- Other relevant documents include reference letter, Curriculum Vitae, letter of introduction with background information about the applicant and reasons for the decision to study in Holland.
The intake period for new enrollment into universities in Holland are fixed by the institutions. Generally, enrollment is done in February (spring semester) and September (fall semester). The intake period covers the time you would need to apply for the admission and process the required documents until when academic activities kick off.
Most institutions will start enrollment for non-EU students two to three months before enrolling EU students. This is to provide the non-EU students enough time to complete the application process and get settled in the country.
If for any reason you miss a deadline or intake period, you will have to wait for the next intake period (semester) before you apply. Having seen How To Get Quality Tertiary Education in Holland, carefully study the List of Universities in the Netherlands we have compiled to help you make the right choice.
List of Universities in the Netherlands
- Delft University of Technology, Delft (South Holland).
- Erasmus University Rotterdam, Rotterdam in South Holland.
- Leiden University, Leiden in South Holland.
- Maastricht University, Maastricht in Limburg.
- Nyenrode Business University
- Breukelen (Utrecht).
- Open University Heerlen (Limburg).
- Radboud University, Nijmegen in Gelderland.
- Tilburg University, Tilburg in North Brabant.
- University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam in North Holland.
- University of Groningen, Groningen.
- University of Twente,Enschede in Overijssel.
- Utrecht University, Utrecht (Utrecht).
- VU University Amsterdam, Amsterdam in North Holland.
- Wageningen University and Research Centre Breda, North Brabant.
- Universities of Applied Sciences.
- Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences, Amsterdam in North Holland.
- ArtEZ Institute of the Arts, Zwolle, Overijssel.
- Avans University of Applied Sciences, Breda, North Brabant.
- Business School Netherlands Buren, Gelderland.
- Business School Notenboom.
- Codarts, University for the Arts, Rotterdam, South Holland.
- Design Academy Eindhoven, Eindhoven (North Brabant).
- Gerrit Rietveld Academie, Amsterdam (North Holland).
- HAS Den Bosch University of Applied Sciences, Hertogenbosch (North Brabant).
- Utrecht School of the Arts, Hilversum (North Holland).
- HZ University of Applied Sciences, Vlissingen (Zeeland).
- Hotelschool The Hague Den Haag (South Holland).
- NHL University of Applied Sciences.
- Rotterdam University, Rotterdam (South Holland).
- TIO University of Applied Sciences.
- University of Applied Sciences Leiden, Leiden (South Holland).
- Royal Academy of Art, The Hague Den Haag (South Holland).
- Webster University – Leiden Campus Leiden (South Holland).
- Wittenborg University of Applied Sciences, Apeldoorn in Gelderland.
Delft University of Technology, Delft (South Holland).
The Delft University of Technology also known as TU Delft is the largest and oldest Dutch public technological university, located in Delft, Netherlands. It counts as one of the best universities for engineering and technology worldwide, typically seen within the top 20.
Erasmus University Rotterdam, Rotterdam in South Holland.
Erasmus University Rotterdam is a public university located in Rotterdam, Netherlands. …. Institute for Health Sciences (NIHES); Postgraduate School Molecular Medicine (MM); Medical Genetics Centre South-West Netherlands (
Leiden University, Leiden in South Holland.
Leiden University is a public research university in Leiden, Netherlands. Founded in 1575 by William, Prince of Orange, leader of the Dutch Revolt in the Eighty Years’ War, it is the oldest university in the Netherlands.
Maastricht University, Maastricht in Limburg.
Maastricht University is a public university in Maastricht, Netherlands. Founded in 1976, it is the second youngest of the thirteen Dutch universities. an honors liberal arts college: University College Maastricht and a Maastricht Science Programme in the same liberal arts tradition.
Nyenrode Business University
Nyenrode Business Universiteit, formerly spelled as Nijenrode, is a Dutch elite business university and one of four private universities in the Netherlands. Founded in 1946, it is located on a large estate in the town of Breukelen, between Amsterdam and Utrecht.
Breukelen is a town and former municipality in the Netherlands, in the province of Utrecht. It is situated to the north west of Utrecht, along the river Vecht and close to the lakes of the Loosdrechtse Plassen, an area of natural and tourist interest. It is located in an area called the Vechtstreek.
Open University Heerlen (Limburg).
The Open University of the Netherlands is a Dutch institution for distance learning at university level. It is an independent government-funded university and uses a variety of methods, including written materials, the Internet, and occasional evening seminars or day sessions.
Radboud University, Nijmegen in Gelderland.
Radboud University Nijmegen is a public university with a strong focus on research located in Nijmegen, the Netherlands. It was established on 17 October 1923 and is situated in the oldest city of the Netherlands. The RU has seven faculties and enrolls over 19,900 students.
Tilburg University, Tilburg in North Brabant.
Tilburg University is a public research university specializing in social and behavioral … Tilburg), followed by a name change to Katholieke Universiteit Brabant
The University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam in North Holland.
The University of Amsterdam is a public university located in Amsterdam, Netherlands. The UvA is one of two large, publicly funded research universities in the city, the other being the VU University Amsterdam.
University of Groningen, Groningen.
The University of Groningen is a public research university in the city of Groningen in the Netherlands. The university was founded in 1614. Since its founding, more than 200,000 students have graduated.
University of Twente, Enschede in Overijssel.
The University of Twente is a public research university located in Enschede, the Netherlands. It offers degrees in the fields of social sciences, exact sciences and is highly specialized in engineering.
VU University Amsterdam, Amsterdam in North Holland.
The Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is a university in Amsterdam, Netherlands, founded in 1880, often ranking among the world’s top 100 universities. It is an internationally renowned university located in the vibrant city of Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Wageningen University and Research Centre Breda, North Brabant.
Wageningen University & Research is a Dutch public university in Wageningen, Netherlands. It consists of Wageningen University and the former agricultural research institutes of the Dutch Ministry of Agriculture.
Universities of Applied Sciences.
– Universities of applied sciences offering international degree programmes and short courses. Aeres University of Applied Sciences. Amsterdam School of the Arts. Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences. ArtEZ Institute of the Arts.
ArtEZ Institute of the Arts, Zwolle, Overijssel.
ArtEZ University of Arts is an art academy which provides art study programmes. ArtEZ combines several art institutes and art disciplines with branches in Arnhem, Enschede, and Zwolle.
Avans University of Applied Sciences, Breda, North Brabant.
Avans University of Applied Sciences is a high-ranked Dutch vocational university. It is located in three cities: Breda, ‘s-Hertogenbosch, and Tilburg. The school has 30,000 students studying 40 courses in 18 institutes.
Business School Netherlands Buren, Gelderland
Business School Netherlands Buren, Gelderland is a school business students in the Netherlands.
Codarts, University for the Arts, Rotterdam, South Holland
Codarts University for the Arts is a Dutch vocational university in Rotterdam that teaches music, dance, and circus. It was established in its present location in 2000.
Design Academy Eindhoven, Eindhoven (North Brabant).
Design Academy Eindhoven is an interdisciplinary educational institute for art, architecture and design in Eindhoven, Netherlands. The work of its faculty and alumni have brought it international recognition.
Gerrit Rietveld Academie, Amsterdam (North Holland).
The Gerrit Rietveld Academie is a Dutch academy for fine arts and design in Amsterdam, Netherlands
HAS Den Bosch University of Applied Sciences, Hertogenbosch (North Brabant).
HAS University of Applied Sciences is an independent university of applied sciences, specializing in food, agriculture, horticulture, nature, and environment. It is located in ‘s-Hertogenbosch, the regional capital of North Brabant and Venlo, Limburg.
Utrecht School of the Arts, Hilversum
The HKU University of the Arts Utrecht is a performing arts and visual arts educational institution in Utrecht, Netherlands.
HZ University of Applied Sciences, Vlissingen (Zeeland)
The HZ University of Applied Sciences is a vocational university in the Dutch province of Zeeland and has buildings in Vlissingen, Roosendaal and Middelburg. It has been the only university of applied sciences in Zeeland for a long time.
Hotelschool The Hague Den Haag (South Holland)
Hotelschool The Hague is a single sector University of Applied Sciences in The Netherlands. accreditatie aan de opleiding HBO-bachelor Business Administration in Hotel Management van de Hotelschool Den Haag.
Rotterdam University, Rotterdam
Erasmus University Rotterdam is a public university located in Rotterdam, Netherlands. The university is named after Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus, a 15th-century humanist and theologian
TIO University of Applied Sciences
Tio University of Applied Sciences is a private organization, founded by the business community in the nineteen sixties. Tio has establishments in Amsterdam.
University of Applied Sciences Leiden, Leiden
University of Applied Sciences Leiden, Dutch: Hogeschool Leiden, is a vocational university in the western Netherlands, located in the city of Leiden. It currently has approximately 12000 students, mainly studying towards associate and bachelor’s degrees. The school also offers master’s degrees in nursing.
Royal Academy of Art, The Hague Den Haag
The Royal Academy of Art is a leading and highly renowned art academy in The Hague. Succeeding the Haagsche Teeken-Academie, the academy was founded on 29 September 1682, making it the oldest in the Netherlands and one of the oldest in the world.
Webster University – Leiden Campus Leiden
Webster University Leiden is an American university with campuses around the world, including the Netherlands. Webster University provides both undergraduate and graduate education.
Wittenborg University of Applied Sciences, Apeldoorn in Gelderland
Wittenborg University is an international University of Applied Sciences. Wittenborg has been supported by the Apeldoorn Municipal Government and the Province of Gelderland, who have made it possible for the institute to settle and function.
- International Students Scholarship At University Twente in Netherlands 2019
- Fully Funded Netherlands Fellowship Programmes 2019
- Fulbright-Radboud Scholarships for USA Students in Netherlands, 2019
- Fully-funded TU Delft Excellence Scholarships for International Masters Students 2019/2020
- Talent Scholarship for International Students in Netherlands, 2019
- Radboud Master Degree Scholarship Program in Netherlands 2019
- International Students Amsterdam Excellence Scholarship in Netherlands 2019
- Government of Holland International Scholarship At Leiden University 2019-2020
- International Amsterdam Talent Scholarship for International Students 2019/2020
- VU Amsterdam Fellowship Programme, Netherlands
- The Fresh Connection Global Student Challenge In Netherlands 2019/2020
- Erasmus School of Law Scholarships in Netherlands, 2019-2020
- APPLY: Netherlands Fellowship Programme 2019
This article gives you insight in several ways on How To Get Quality Tertiary Education in Holland including a comprehensive list of Universities in Holland that you can APPLY for your studies. Study this carefully.