So many have been asking the question, Can I Get a Ph.D. without Masters? A Ph.D. without Masters..? Are you serious? OK. That was me trying to tell you that what you’re thinking about is possible. Let’s be honest, Masters degree program can be perceived as time-wasting and of course, it is very financially demanding and otherwise.
A good number out of the students coming out from the bachelor’s degree program would have this thought at the back of their mind, that is, if a “bachelors to Ph.D.” is possible.
Of the truth, it is, I’m going to tell you the pros and cons and how to file for the application if you want to go on with the idea of a Ph.D. degree program without a Masters degree. Toward the end of this article, I’d tell you why you should do a masters before Ph.D.
- Yes, you can get a Ph.D. without a Masters Degree!
- How to Apply for a Bachelors to a Ph.D.?
- Ph.D. Without a Masters, A Few Coping Strategies
- Why it is important to do a Masters Before a Ph.D. Degree Program
- 1. A Master’s degree program helps you ascertain if you’re ready to do a Ph.D. degree program.
- 2. Just before you start thinking about bachelor’s to Ph.D. remember that you’ll get nice positions as a Ph.D. if you come through Masters.
- 3. A master’s degree program helps to change your field of study in your Ph.D.
- 4. A Master’s had the ability to help you finish the Ph.D. program faster, that bachelor to Ph.D.
- EDITOR’S RECOMMENDATION
Yes, you can get a Ph.D. without a Masters Degree!
‘A Ph.D. without Masters, that was the norm before now: for a good number of years in the United Kingdom, the Ph.D. degree program came after the Bachelor’s degree program, without the “distraction” of a Masters degree program. Whilst many undergraduate degree programs still lead to a Masters Certificate too, and many still complete Masters degree, it is “sensitively” possible here to do a Ph.D. without walking into a Masters classroom for one day.
How to Apply for a Bachelors to a Ph.D.?
No university in the world would publicly declare that they offer Ph.D. degrees without a masters degree, however, you can get this opportunity by doing thorough research about these institutions, their core beliefs, then weigh your chances. There are tons of universities around the world offering Ph.D. without masters and whether you get it sometimes depends on how you tender your application.
As with any other normal Ph.D. application, it is really very important to check your qualifications with the universities. Different universities have different rules and regulations. Some schools can easily offer you the opportunity, and in some cases, a Master’s degree might be compulsory, especially when you’re studying abroad.
Also, make sure you sustain lots of evidence in the application you are to submit about why you would be a good and competing doctoral student without a Master’s degree and try and give concrete analogies, and proof of you having the same level of academics sagacity.
You Can also read on What is Bachelor’s Degree: Meaning, cost, and types
Ph.D. Without a Masters, A Few Coping Strategies
The first few weeks can be overwhelming but the first thing to recall is that if your application has been approved, then people believe that you can do it!
If you are directly from a Bachelors ask your proposed supervisor if they would care reading through a more volume piece of work. For example, you can go along a piece of your final work during your undergraduate or bachelor degree program or a dissertation and send it to 20,000 words, which is a normal Master’s length.
In your first term of your Bachelor to Ph.D. try and study your research proposal every week and review with carefulness. The Characteristics of research is that it evolves but it is also important to remember the thing you proposed to do.
Sign up to the University workshops regarding Ph.D. research.
Many run a short skills session daily covering things from communication to managing projects. But be observant not to sign up to just about everything though, ’cause you still need research time.
As a Ph.D. student whether Ph.D. without Masters or Bachelors to Ph.D., you are one of a community of other Ph.D. researchers and this can apparently be a great source of knowledge, advice, and wisdom, plus a great route of meeting new people.
In your pioneer supervision set clear time-bounded goals for the 1st term and talk about the structure of your 1st year. This gives you things you can work directly and breaks the project work into manageable chunks to maintain your stand as a Ph.D. without a Master’s degree program.
Why it is important to do a Masters Before a Ph.D. Degree Program
1. A Master’s degree program helps you ascertain if you’re ready to do a Ph.D. degree program.
During a bachelor’s degree program, you will typically know general dimensions of your chosen course and you will concentrate only a small bit through your final thesis or project work.
Even if you are magnetized to a chosen field or career path, you can’t know if it’s really good until you go more into the subject. Considering that a Ph.D. without Masters demands about 6 years of concentration, wouldn’t it be good to be sure?
Because it is concentrated and research-oriented a Master’s degree program puts you in-front with what you’re thinking to beat your brain with for a good length of time.
A bachelor’s degree program can’t, but a Master’s will introduce to you the way, and pattern of graduate study, which is more sophisticated than bachelor’s degrees. If you imbibe the right study routine, the correct motivation, and even management of time during Master’s, they will be the relevant signs that you can now start a Ph.D. degree program.
Ph.D. without Masters is kinda easy but not totally the ideal.
2. Just before you start thinking about bachelor’s to Ph.D. remember that you’ll get nice positions as a Ph.D. if you come through Masters.
If you’ve obtained a Master’s degree, you are just about two years older above a B.A. holder but you’ll have more experience than you will definitely use in your Ph.D. And universities must respond to that. It is a well-known thing that graduate schools favor Applicants with a Master’s, even in times where a Master’s isn’t the absolute requirement.
If you have a lower grade in your bachelor’s degree a master’s degree can help boost you and bring you to the level of just about any other students, annihilating all the effect your bachelor’s degree would have had on your chances of relevance.
3. A master’s degree program helps to change your field of study in your Ph.D.
If you want to study in your bachelor’s degree program is no more appealing to you; you can do a little shift during your masters so as to boost your chances of doing whatever you want in your Ph.D. degree program. This opportunity is not available to those who followed the Ph.D. without the master’s route.
4. A Master’s had the ability to help you finish the Ph.D. program faster, that bachelor to Ph.D.
In some faculties, a Masters doesn’t only mean investing two years in your schooling. Quite the contrary, it might just buy you time. Especially in countries like the USA and Canada. And you might be able to push some numbers of the credits you earned during Masters into a Ph.D. This can apparently help in reducing the time you’d exhaust in getting a Ph.D.
Even if the credit transfer doesn’t work, a master’s degree has a way of reducing the time you spend in your Ph.D. which is not available to students who use the bachelor’s to the Ph.D. route.
- 45 Fully Funded Scholarships for Study Abroad Around the World this year
- 15 Scholarships for Pakistan Students to Study in China 2020
- 19 Ph.D. Scholarships for Uganda Students 2020
- Australia Awards Masters Scholarships For Africans 2020
- Scholarships for Eritrea Students to Study in USA, 2020
- 20 Malaysia Scholarships for Undergraduates 2020
- Walailak University Undergraduate Scholarships for Students in Thailand, 2020
- African Graduate Scholarships at UCL Institute for Global Health UK, 2020
- Beihang University Postgraduate Scholarship in China, 2020
- 2020 BELGIUM MASTERS DEGREE SCHOLARSHIP IN ICT